Moneyboss
tobiebonger

We will replace textbooks with iPads.

Moneyboss

Con

We should not replace textbook with iPads. Instead we should stick to the Status Quo, where we use both of them together. This can serve to students who need special help, as my main topic is the fluidity of education. Yes, I agree that iPads have a lot of benefits. I also agree that times have changed and textbooks should take a step back. But only one step. I believe that replacing one rigid system with another would not help. Instead, education should be very fluid and flexible, so that it can serve to many different people.
tobiebonger

Pro

I think that our world is constantly changing and having text books means we just can't keep up with what is changing in our world. The text books I use in school are just math, now I will use more going into my first year as an IB student but they can easily be downloaded into an iPad or other tablet. Text books take up too much space and are expensive and heavy, and while they have been used for decades they are just too impractical for our generation. If we just give students their own iPad or provide them before class we could save a lot of time and money. I usually place my math text book in my locker and it just becomes a hassle to have to go back to my locker and pick it up. I think now we are starting to convert to using iPads and the era of text books is fading and while textbooks might be beneficial to some students I think the majority would prefer iPads. Also having a touch screen could boast some benefits over traditional text books in the sense that kids could work on the actual iPad versus using a work book and so on.
Moneyboss

Con

Well, I agree with the good points you said about iPads and the bad points about textbooks. But, as their are benefits to both, their are 'non-benefits' for both too. What I am trying to say is replacing textbooks with iPads 100 percent is no good either. By the way, it is impossible to do that too. Now, 65% of work is still done with paper in law offices. Even though the world is aiming to be paperless, it is still stuck at the transitional stage.

My facts justify my opinion, I beg to oppose and please vote for what you think is right.
tobiebonger

Pro

What is your evidence to support that completely ditching textbooks is a bad idea, kids from early ages are starting to use iPads more and more and wouldn't it just make sense to have them continue using them throughout their middle school and high school years? While 65% of work is done on paper in law office the debate is over textbooks and not law. Im not saying converting from text books to iPads will increase test scores or improve students time management, but it will reduce waste and it will be easier to keep up with constant changing of the world.
Moneyboss

Con

You don't get what I mean right? What I am trying to explain is that the world cannot keep up with technologies! Are you sure that every school in every part of the world can afford to replace textbooks, which they used for decades, with high-tech equipment like iPads and PCs? Impossible! The world is not as advanced as what you painted it to be!

Most importantly, I am talking about the fluidity of education. which is serving students of different needs with different things. You see, my counter-policy for replacing textbooks with iPads is using both iPads and textbooks. I bet you will say,'Why can't we only use iPads since they are so advanced," Well, my answer is that not all students are fit for an all-technology way of education. Maybe some people, like you, can self-study and do your work on the iPad without help, but not everyone studies like you. Some students need special attention, teachers could help them by textbooks, of course, but imagine an iPad trying to explain a hard question to a student who has thinking difficulties.

The solution to these problems are being more fluid in the way of teaching. Both iPads and textbooks can cater to different students, but a combination of these two is what an advanced, high-tech world should be like.
tobiebonger

Pro

tobiebonger forfeited this round.
Posted by Tomk383 1 year ago
Tomk383
While iPads and other related tech can definitely be beneficial to students, it should not be forgotten that the potential for distraction and off task usage is very strong. The idea of using technology as a teaching tool is great, but it hasn't come far enough to completely replace textbooks. For some students, having a book in front of them, or the act of writing notes can drastically improve the understanding of material.
Posted by Moneyboss 1 year ago
Moneyboss
Responding to Greg: If it's an open debate, you should try and get any number of votes.
I'm trying to be polite, Greg, but please don't criticize me like that. You want to challenge me to a debate?
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
" please vote for what you think is right." That's not really how debates work
Posted by EcoFriendly 1 year ago
EcoFriendly
Using Just an iPad is fairly specific... While any other device with an internet connection does the same job. Why does it need to be an iPad specifically?