ashtronomy
KennyV13

Weed - Gateway Drug

ashtronomy

Con

Despite its reputation, I will attempt to show that weed is not a gateway drug.

First round is acceptance, Kenny!
KennyV13

Pro

I accept your challenge, and look forward to gradually defeating you, Ashley
ashtronomy

Con

Haha WE'LL SEE, I look forward to it too.

Marijuana's reputation for being a "gateway drug" is inaccurate and false. Even though I wouldn't normally go by a dictionary's definition for this word, we'll use it just for the sake of argument:

gateway drug
noun
Definition of GATEWAY DRUG
: a drug (as alcohol or marijuana) whose use is thought to lead to the use of and dependence on a harder drug (as cocaine or heroin)

The word, "thought," indicates that this is not a strong definition, and is not backed by any physical evidence. How do we know that the Marijuana is the cause of someone trying harder drugs? Is there any empirical data you can provide that shows there is a direct correlation between the two? What about all the other cases when someone has smoked weed, and choose not to try anything else?

Marijuana is just a common factor involved in "gateway drug" belief. What's really to blame is the personality of someone who smokes it.
KennyV13

Pro

First off punk, your relying on a website to inform you of what the definition of something is. A website that is "tenacious" (hold a belief) or possibly you are because for all I know, maybe the website supplies another definition that you held out of, and you decided to be selective. Not that, that would matter because a definition off a website is merely whomever initially wrote it's thought.

Not to kill my argument but I can see both sides enough to know what that it could be a gateway drug or it could not be. This debate is a mere stalemate either way, and will be voted based off opinion instead of a matter of realization that there is no correct answer.

For example:

Teenagers most likely will start off by smoking weed, and then from there will possibly move on to do a harder drug. That's what all the research will adhere too, and try and sway you.

But, then now I will stay with my argument and say that because teenagers initially begin with smoking weed that, they than hang out or go to places that will introduce them to another drug. Of course this is not always true, but a mere thought to be looked upon. Smoking weed to begin with, will then lead you or gain you access to taking another drug, possibly a harder drug. By smoking weed, and meeting new people...they too will open a door for you to try a harder drug.
Obviously it depends on the individual, but in this day and age and how people treat other people...peer pressure is a cooker.

A "myth" is a fair assumption and I do think that research is a bunch of bull statistics that tries to universally sway people but I can see how Weed might lead someone upon trying a harder drug. It wouldn't be true to say it doesn't because even if there is one person that smoked weed and went on and did cocaine...that's all that's needed to debunk a myth.

If "God" showed up, that one instance...would debunk a large portion of people who don't believe in him. Not trying to mix in religion in here, but just implying a different instance that can relate.
ashtronomy

Con

ashtronomy forfeited this round.
KennyV13

Pro

Well it would be nice to try and rebuttal something but I'm not sure how much I can do on the words "ashtronomy forfeited this round"

Anyways, I guess I could define what exactly gateway means, at least to me. So If it helps possibly putting things in perspective for the viewers, then so be it. From my understanding, and it might not be yours (that's fine), I believe gateway means something that opens or allows access to another thing.

So, Marijuana would be the gateway that opens the door to try other drugs, possibly harder drugs.

I have said this before but I definitely can see both sides of the issue to not be biased. If only my opponent had responded, I could possibly write more but I'm not going over critically think about this at least until my opponent responds. Try and respond next time to the allotted time limit Ashley : )!
ashtronomy

Con

Sorry Kenny, my motivation to respond back is depleting. I did what I had to do in philosophy, and now I'm going to half a*s my way through the rest.

Well, I'm afraid "seeing both sides" doesn't help you in this case. To be honest, it seems like you're taking the easy way out with an argument. Of course I can see both sides too, however, I will still attempt to argue that weed is NOT a gateway drug. Maybe there is some truth behind your theory, but just because you stated it doesn't mean you're demonstrating it to be true.

"Obviously it depends on the individual" -- hmm, sounds a little like my beginning statement: "What's really to blame is the personality of someone who smokes it."

MAYBE IF YOU WOULD'VE JUST TRIED A LIL THAT NIGHT WITH ME AND ASH, YOU WOULD'VE HAD DIFFERENT THOUGHTS! haha whatever, I'm done with this debate. I'm looking forward to the Summer. Let me know what's going on for Friday!
KennyV13

Pro

Pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, WOW

And I quote "Sorry Kenny, my motivation to respond back is depleting. I did what I had to do in philosophy, and now I'm going to half a*s my way through the rest."

Soooooo, Your motivation is depleting because you had to use debate.org in order to complete an assignment in our philosophy class? For someone who loves philosophy, and is taking it again next semester, I can't see why you can't continue to debate ("I'm done with this debate") and if you are, you already stated your going to do it half a*s? Basically, I see how it is...

Also, seeing both sides does help my argument, because for the people who are viewing this debate and are going to eventually vote on it (I hope)... will know that I'm not being biased in approach. I still stand by Weed being a Gateway Drug, but it's important to come into a debate open minded because you in the end can possibly switch sides. I'll admit if I'm wrong, and I'll learn from those mistakes, but you haven't supplied me any evidence that changes my views.

And I quote "("Obviously it depends on the individual" -- hmm, sounds a little like my beginning statement: "What's really to blame is the personality of someone who smokes it.")"

Correct, BUT... a large number of us change our personality in order to conform to peer pressure or we give in to curiosity. So it appears this affects a large number of us as a whole.

You've seen I space out, had I tried some, I don't know what planet I'd be on lm*o.

As for Friday, I Texted you what we are doing! I'll see you tomorrow!
ashtronomy

Con

ashtronomy forfeited this round.
KennyV13

Pro

Fun Argument, Let the Voting Commence!