MrHardRock
Koopin

Weed Should Be Legalized As It Will Improve Our Economy and Contains Almost No Health Problems

Koopin

MrHardRock

Pro

Weed should be legal because it could greatly improve our economy to the point that we would be relieved of the recession and then some.
If it was legal the government would save millions of dollars of tax payers money that is wasted on anti-weed purposes. This money is wasted on arresting processing and jailing innocent people who's only crime was possession of marijuana.
Legalizing it would also free up hundreds of jail cells that could be used to jail more violent dangerous criminals such as a rapist or murderer. These people oppose a much more dangerous threat to society than someone that smokes a little bit of pot.
There are many myths surrounding weed and much about it such as smoking it makes someone stupid and lazy. This is false there are many people who smoke weed, have jobs, love their family, and live completely normal lives and are suddenly jailed and treated like they are dangerous criminal drug addicts. Their kids are deemed to be in dangerous households and put into foster care programs and are ripped from their families which can be extremely harmful to a child.
Another myth is that weed is addictive. This is one of the biggest myths about it. There are no addictive properties in weed at all. The worst one can do is get mentally addicted, but you can also get mentally addicted to xbox or anything you can think of.
Another myth about it is that it kills your braincells this is very false as they have done plenty of studies on this before and there is no significant evidence to prove this. There has been more studies that have proven that it does not kill braincells. Scientist have put monkeys into an airtight room and pumped it full of THC and it showed no damage to the braincells after 3 weeks or any malformation to the brain at all. What kills the brain cells is when the user holds their breath. Any stoner knows the answer to this just don't hold your hits in as long.
It is impossible to O.D. on weed. If you tried to O.D. on weed you would die of smoke suffocation before your brain has had too much THC to handle. More people have died from harmless things such as aspirin or caffeine.
Annual American Deaths Caused by Drugs Tobacco…………….. 400,000
Alcohol……………… 100,000
All legal drugs………. 20,000
All illegal drugs…….. 15,000
Caffeine…………….. 2,000
Aspirin……………… 500
Marijuana…………… 0
This list shows how many people die every year from seemingly harmless items. Caffeine is also more addictive than weed is.
The reason weed was made illegal in the first place is because a man named William Hearst who was a corporate business owner back in the 1930s and 40s who owned an enormous acreage of forest. Hemp paper was recently discovered to be much more cost efficient and easier to produce than paper from trees. Even the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper. But anyway William Hearst reportedly had a large influence on congress and fearful that the hemp industry would put him out of business pushed congress to make hemp and hemp products illegal. So the government foolishly made it illegal.
Making it legal will improve our economy as back before it was illegal it was America's number one cash crop easily. It was grown alongside tobacco in many occasions. It was predicted to be our first billion dollar crop. Legalizing it would also spawn the rise up of many hemp shops, factories, and plantations which would open up a number of jobs. This would get many people of un-employment and working in the hemp industry which is almost guaranteed to be an extremely profitable business and end our recession we are currently in.
Koopin

Con

Hello,
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to debate with you.

You claim that marijuana would improve our economy, I admit you are right. It would help, not fix, but help. But that is not a reason to legalize something. The fact is that marijuana is dangerous

Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States. When smoked, it begins to effect users almost immediately.

The short-term effects of marijuana include:
•Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
•Problems with memory and learning
•Loss of coordination
•Trouble with thinking and problem-solving
•Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure

There is already a high rate of deaths from driving under the influence. Many people will get into a car and not be able to function properly, risking their lives and the lives of others. When on marijuana one does not realize that he or she is not functioning correctly.

Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure plunges. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute. Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana.
Smoking marijuana can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, it also causes heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same issues a tobacco user can have such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illnesses, increased risk of lung infections, obstructed airways
Studies show that children born from mothers who smoke the drug exhibit some problems with neurological development. According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause altered responses to visual stimuli, increased tremulousness, problems with sustained attention and memory, poor problem-solving skills. This is not fair to the child.
Marijuana contains more than 400 different chemicals. Some of these chemicals are very harmful, but I shall discuses that in round two.
Another problem with marijuana is that it is a gateway drug. Many people will one day want to take something a little better than marijuana, Cocaine or heroin.
I would like to ask, are you a user of the drug. The drug would not benefit you until you are either 18 or 21. The odds of congress approving a harmful drug and allowing minors to take it are very slim.
Also, the list that you have is farce. Hundreds of kids a day die of choking on cheetos, their have been many deaths because of the stupidity of people when they are high. Some people think they can do things that they really can't
I have many other things to talk about, But I will save that for round two.

Thank you
http://faculty.washington.edu...
http://ncadi.samhsa.gov...
http://www.nida.nih.gov...
MrHardRock

Pro

ok well my opponent I will admit seems to be well educated and fluent in debate
i also noticed i forgot to add my sources to the end which I am almost certain I will be deducted for
so here are my sources for round 1
http://www.ama-assn.org...
http://www.drugpolicy.org...
http://www.nationalreview.com...
And for this purpose these are going to be sources i use for round 2.

Ok sorry for the mistake but now onto round 2.

My opponent states,
"There is already a high rate of deaths from driving under the influence. Many people will get into a car and not be able to function properly, risking their lives and the lives of others. When on marijuana one does not realize that he or she is not functioning correctly."
I can say the same exact thing about alcohol as it also impairs your ability to drive.
I have experienced this first hand actually as a close friend of mine drove drunk and killed herself which makes me very strongly against driving under the influence.
As I am going to assume you have never experienced marijuana before so you do not know what it is like to be under the influence. Despite contrary belief it is much much more different than alcohol is as a person who is high still has complete control over their motor skills and can still think much the same way. I am in no way saying that it is ok to drive while you are high I am still simply stating that it is nothing at all like alcohol.
The government even conducted a "random" study of 182 fatal truck accidents. It just happened that these "random" accidents marijuana was present in many of the drivers, but in every driver that had marijuana in his system alcohol was also present which makes this study invalid not only because of the presence of alcohol but also because marijuana can stay in your system for anywhere in between a week to three months. So it is impossible to tell if the drivers were actually under the influence at the time.

My Opponent also states,
"Another problem with marijuana is that it is a gateway drug. Many people will one day want to take something a little better than marijuana, Cocaine or heroin."
Stating that marijuana is the gateway drug is saying anyone that tries weed is going to grow up to be a heroine addict or crack addict and such. Lets compare this to the Somalian pirates we experienced back in April. Now these pirates are going to represent the heroin addicts while anyone that has ever stolen anything in their life no matter how small is going to represent someone that has tried cannabis before. I am sure these pirates stole as kids and it just seemed to click for them so they tried something harder and decided to make it a profession and become pirates. See what I mean with this "gateway drug" ideology it makes no sense. Yes people that are addicted to cocaine probably didn't start out snorting crack but by smoking marijuana. But still that is much like saying anyone that smokes marijuana is going to grow up to be a drug addict.

This following link is a prison hospital employee stating all that he has learned about marijuana throughout his career of working there.
http://www.rense.com...
He will tell you himself that there is very little or nothing wrong with the drug at all and it is much more safe and sensible than alcohol.
Koopin

Con

Thank you for your respond,

You claim that people's motor skills are not affected by marijuana, and that they can still think clearly.
If you believe this, why do you say that it is not okay to drive while high?
According to your sources, marijuana relaxes and sedates you. Relax means abatement or relief from bodily or mental work, and sedated means calm, quiet, or composed; undisturbed by passion or excitement.
If a car is speeding strait ahead at a car, someone on marijuana will take longer to respond, risking their life.
The fact is that if we legalize marijuana people will still drive while high just like people still drive while drunk, even though alcohol is illegal.
There will also be people who smoke marijuana and drink alcohol at parties. It is already dangerous to drive drunk, imagine people driving drunk and high.

Studies also show that marijuana affects adolescence, a period of rapid physical and sexual development. There will be many problems in the future with deformed children.

You said in round one,
"What kills the brain cells is when the user holds their breath. Any stoner knows the answer to this just don't hold your hits in as long."
The reason people hold it in longer is to get a bigger high. Even though some people won't do it, there will be many people will. It does not only hurt brain cells, but the lungs too. The smoke is in direct contact with the lung tissue, even if you do not hold it for long. Marijuana smoke contains some of the same ingredients in tobacco smoke that can cause emphysema and cancer. Lots of marijuana users also smoke tobacco. The combined effect of smoking these two substances creates an increased health risk. Marijuana smoke has been found to contain more cancer causing agents than is found in tobacco smoke.

I did not say that everyone who takes marijuana will turn to other drugs, but some people will one day think, why take a drug that makes me feels alright when I could take a drug that makes me feel even better.
Let me try to make an example of how legalizing marijuana will hurt many people.
Lets say there are ten people, 4 of them have taken marijuana (40% of Americans have tried marijuana) two of the four who take marijuana only take it to "relax".
But the other two realize that since marijuana makes them feel good they are going to try something even better.....Cocaine.
Now let's say they make marijuana legal.
There will be many more people who take it since it is okay to take.
So let's double the rate of people who take it, 80%.
So now instead of 20% of the ten turning to a harder drug, 40% will.
I believe that there will be many more people who turn to a harder drug.

Audience, it is obvious that with all the world's troubles, we do not need to add one more thing to the list. My opponent has so far listed his beliefs (and has done a superb job doing so). Though, I heavily urged a con vote.

http://www.quit4good.com...
http://www.nida.nih.gov...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
MrHardRock

Pro

Thank you, you are making this a very fun debate four me and all of our audience.
But I still have to prove you wrong please forgive me.
But if I remember correctly I said, "Despite contrary belief it is much much more different than alcohol is as a person who is high still has complete control over their motor skills and can still think much the same way." Never in there did I ever say you can think clearly. What I said if you can still think in much of the same way. I will go into further detail as my opponent obviously misinterpreted my statement. I am saying while under the influence you still have an excellent grasp on reality although your imagination will run wild and give you some odd thoughts. This being understood you will grasp the situation in a better way than you have before, you will just perceive it in a much different way. I know what your going to say is oh well imagine someone getting behind a wheel like that. Well people get behind the wheel while drunk too ok? We are never going to be able to stop something completely as we try as hard as we can to prevent drunk driving. We will not ever be able to completely stop it.

My opponent tries to slip a somewhat true. We will call it a half truth actually because he states "Studies also show that marijuana affects adolescence, a period of rapid physical and sexual development. There will be many problems in the future with deformed children." Well I checked YOUR SOURCE and according to it the study was about pregnant mothers who smoke marijuana while pregnant. They say it will cause malformation to an unborn fetus. They never said that marijuana users will have a higher chance of deformed children. This is much of the same way with alcohol and cigerettes but yet these things are legal in our society. Notice that my opponent has his back to the wall and is misleading you all.

Ok on the whole marijuana killing brain cells deal. I can't be responsible for how long people want to hold their hits. If they want to kill a few braincells for enjoyment let them. And I said marijuana does not kill brain cells I never said anything about lack of oxygen.

Marijuana is in no more the gateway drug to cocaine than alcohol or cigarettes are the gateway drug to marijuana. Think about it what does alcohol do. It makes you intoxicated. Why does someone smoke cigarettes. That is actually one I can not answer as I have never seen a reason for it therefore never have tried it. But your saying that we are trying to protect people for things they might do? I find this stupid someone might fall down the stairs and hurt themselves but I still have found no law about making that illegal or forcing us to attach railings for safety. Someone might do a lot of things and hurt themselves but it should not be the governments responsibility to prevent these things from happening.

Ok bottom line if you are worried about the health problems of marijuana DO NOT SMOKE IT. Much in the same way that people that are worried about the health problems of cigarettes don't smoke them. The user of these products often know of the health risk the present and they do not care they would rather enjoy the sensation one gets from it. The government needs to stop being so worried about everything.

http://www.quit4good.com...
Koopin

Con

Thank you for posting your last debate. I do not blame you for attempting to prove me wrong, for that is what a debate is.

You said,
"We are never going to be able to stop something completely as we try as hard as we can to prevent drunk driving. We will not ever be able to completely stop it."
No we will not be able to completely stop it, but my point is that if we legalize marijuana there will be a lot more people who drive while high. Why make that number go up when we do not have to?
There would also be many more deaths, of people driving high, and people who are hit by people while high.

In no way am I misleading, I simply stated what my source said. If you read it you will find it is not talking just about pregnant mothers. The title of that section is 'does marijuana affect the human reproductive system?' In the section it does talk about pregnant women, but it also talks about temporary loss of fertility, and the harmful effects during adolescence. But if you want another source I will provide you one at the bottom of this page.

You keep saying that you and the government are not responsible for holding the hits long, driving while high, and health problems. But the point is that, like I said before, there will be lots of more people who use it, creating more health risks. The government would be responsible for those problems if they legalized it.

Concerning alcohol and cigarettes, the fact is that in a way they can be gateway drugs. But a smaller percent of people will turn from cigarettes to marijuana than from marijuana to cocaine. In many drug addict cases, they started with something really small, cigarettes. Then they took some marijuana, they then tried cocaine, then something harder.

Another bad thing about marijuana is burnout, a term first used by marijuana smokers themselves to describe the effect of prolonged use. People who smoke marijuana can become dull, slow moving, and inattentive. It is obvious why this is not good. If there is an emergency, people who are high have a less chance of surviving.

Audience, I hope that you can see that we do not need to risk the lives of people. Smoking marijuana does not only endanger the user, but everyone around him. Legalizing the drug means more dead men women and children. It is the last thing that the world needs right now.

http://ajph.aphapublications.org...
http://www.uc.edu...
http://www.articlesbase.com...
Posted by cljones123 4 years ago
cljones123
It hasnt killed anyone we should be able to smoke our marijuana in peace and not half to worry about law enforcement busting in our homes!! regulate it and tax it just like tobacco and alcohol!!!!!!
Our founding fathers grew hemp!!! everything was fine until 1937 what does the government thing they are doing?? and the study on if marijuana kills brain cells thats eca damn lie the put gas masks on those poor monkeys with little oxygen and their brains were shutting down due to lack of oxygen and were loosing brain cells i have been researching marijuana for a long time and i havent found anything that is really wrong with it its safer than any other substance in the world!!!
Posted by MrHardRock 7 years ago
MrHardRock
ok its cool take your time
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
okay, I will post a argument either tonight or tomorrow.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
I will accept if you make it 3 rounds.
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
MrHardRockKoopinTied
Vote Placed by MrHardRock 7 years ago
MrHardRock
MrHardRockKoopinTied
Vote Placed by Thade 7 years ago
Thade
MrHardRockKoopinTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
MrHardRockKoopinTied