Patrickb13
Conservative101

Weed should be decriminalised

Conservative101

Patrickb13

Pro

Weed should decriminalised do you agree?
Conservative101

Con

Absolutely not. Legalization should be for things that are good for our country, and weed certainly is not. If we legalize weed, there will be more car crashes and more deaths. There will be more students getting suspended for smoking weed on their school campuses and more parents getting upset. Families will be torn apart, and it will do us absolutely no good if we legalize. Perhaps you could have a loved one hurt by marijuana, and you will definitely end up regretting legalizing it. I live in a marijana-legalized state, and let me tell you students here keep getting into trouble. It is only the beginning of a drug-infested America. Do not legalize it.
Patrickb13

Pro

I never actually mentioned legalizing weed, although I am completely for it. I asked if you believe it should be decriminalized which is not quite the same thing. If it were to be decriminislied the only effect it would really have on society would be that when a person is found to have weed on them it is treated as a condition to be treated rather than receiving fines for something so petty. And while admittedly Legalization probably should be used only for things that are good for the country this is quite clearly not the case, last time I checked alchohol and tobacco were legal, alchohol alone is responsible for countless deaths throughout history and has killed more infinitely more people than marijuana ( partially because marijuana kills literally no one).

I do have some problems with your argument, if weed were to be legalized students would not be suspended as it would be legal, therefore they are doing nothing wrong. Seeing as there are literally no deaths directly related to the consumption of marijuana, I don"t think that many people tend to get "hurt" by marijuana, atleast not in comparision to the amount of people who die as a result of taking other legal narcotics and drugs such as alchohol and tobacco. The Fact that people are given resposiblity to moderate the amount of alchohol they consume but not marijuana is insulting. We"re given the freedom to wreck our bodies with alchohol, or abuse pharmaceutical drugs such prescription pain and anxiety medications, all of which have the potential to have lethal overdoses.
My argument has nothing to do with any of the negative effects marijuana may or may not have on an individual, (although im happy to go into this) It is the fact that we are not given the right to choose what we consume. you can say it"ll cause schizophrenia or lung cancer etc.. but that"s a risk each individual should be allowed to make on their own, I don"t see people telling me I cant drink alchohol because it causes liver failure and is responsible for thousands of deaths each year.

Your arguments have shown a real lack of common sense, you just state your personal opinion without even giving it much thought, you just like to place blame on weed when you do not understand something" you see some students misbehaving and you think they must be smoking weed, so I suppose the states where it is illegal all the students must be fantastically behaved and never causing trouble? If you had ever smoked a joint you would probably know that it isn"t the type of high that encourages you to cause trouble, infact your far more likely to just sit around doing not particularly anything.
Conservative101

Con

If you want to be literal about every specific term, I'm willing to play it that way. Legalization is the one that has been the national issue. They are so similar that arguing one over the other doesn't hardly matter.

I will fight for the good of America on this issue. Legalizing/decriminalizing marijuana will not benefit the country in any way. Therefore I see no point in leg./dec. it.

You say that you don't think that many people tend to get hurt be marijuana. This is not true. I suggest you do your research a little more before you engage in a debate.

Short-Term Marijuana Effects
-Rapid heart rate
-Increased blood pressure
-Increased rate of breathing
-Red eyes
-Dry mouth
-Increased appetite
-Slowed reaction time
-Distorted sense of time
-Paranoia
-Magical or "random" thinking
-Short-term memory loss
-Anxiety and depression
http://www.webmd.com...

Marijuana consumption can lead to death. http://www.ksl.com... states, "...One study found marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in risk of a heart attack during the first hour after smoking because of the drug's effect on your heart rate." This can be backed up by the fact that the "...Effects on the cardiovascular system can include increased heart rate, dilation of blood vessels, and fluctuations in blood pressure." http://en.wikipedia.org...

Yes, people have their agency, but leg./dec. this drug will put innocent lives at risk as well.

"A recent study review published in the British Medical Journal found people who used marijuana within three hours of driving were nearly twice as likely to cause a crash as sober drivers. People who use marijuana in combination with other drugs or alcohol also pose an increased crash risk, research suggests." http://www.ksl.com...

So yes, pot can kill. Just because alcohol is legal, doesn't mean we should decriminalize every new drug that comes our way. Tell me, would your mind be changed if you had a loved one killed by a driver under the influence of marijuana? I'm not willing to participate in a community with drug dealers on every street. This isn't Mexico. Let's not push it to be. Alcohol is bad enough.
Patrickb13

Pro

Patrickb13 forfeited this round.
Conservative101

Con

My opponent has forfeited the previous round, so I don't have anything to argue against.
Patrickb13

Pro

Patrickb13 forfeited this round.
Conservative101

Con

In conclusion, I would like to add that marijuana leg./dec. would only available to adults aged 21 and over, so for students, it would still be illegal. If this happens, adults would do it more often and introduce it to their kids. The kids, or students, would smoke pot enough so that the illegal use of it on school campuses would increase. This increase will produce more crime in our communities. May I also state that marijuana decriminalization will encourage the use of other drug legalization in our country, one by one, so that eventually drug use will become extremely common and one of the leading causes of deaths in America. I do not wish to see our country follow down this path, and by doing this we will also be influencing many other countries, bringing our world to a drug-ridden state.

I believe my argument is better. I have provided more sources and have debated all 4 rounds, whereas my opponent imposed one sentence in R1, his main arguments in R2, and forfeited R3 and R4. Thanks for the debate, and of course, go America.
Posted by USN276 3 years ago
USN276
I'm sorry Con, you're absolutely absurd. basically your argument is to prohibit everything that has some sort of danger. So the question should be asked, where does the line get drawn between just enough dangerous, and too dangerous?

You shouldn't be concerned about what other people do to their bodies. Worry about yourself and don't control other peoples lives. I'm a conservative/libertarian who will NEVER dare do weed, yet I support the legalization of it because other citizens and the government shouldn't be deciding what people can put in their bodies.
Posted by ILL_logic 3 years ago
ILL_logic
i am assuming con does not drink alcohol at all either
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Patrickb13Conservative101Tied