snowbunny
SocialDemocrat

Weed should be decriminalized

SocialDemocrat

snowbunny

Pro

Weed should be decriminalized for multiple reasons, which I will get into later in the debate. I will argue why this should be.
Rules:
1. don't be rude
2. No forfeits
3. Try to post your argument in the time allowed

Leave a comment if you are interested
SocialDemocrat

Con

I accept. Let explain, I do not believe weed should be decriminalized, I believe it should be legalized. So we are debating whether weed should be decriminalized or legalized.
snowbunny

Pro

(Fair warning I am not the best debater. I may not always get facts right, so if I mess up please tell me. If you are not willing to learn then no one can help you.)

Decriminalize- to remove or reduce the criminal classification or status of; especially : to repeal a strict ban on while keeping under some form of regulation

Legalize- to make legal; especially : to give legal validity or sanction to

Legalizing focuses more on the usage, taxation, and other laws surrounding it and puts the right into the hand of the federal government.

Decriminalizing focuses more on making the act of selling and owning pot legal, letting state and local government deal with regulation while letting the federal government have some say, but not full control.

I believe the second choice is best, because the regulating aspect of it should be left to the state and not the federal government. Whey has pot been illegal for so long? Because the federal government wouldn"t allow it even with all the arguments in favor of its decriminalization and legalization. Why would we put control of regulating something that they have been against for so long? It seems to take away from their trustworthiness.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
SocialDemocrat

Con

"Decriminalize- to remove or reduce the criminal classification status of; to repeal a strict ban on while keeping under some form of regulation." Essentially, my opponent is correct, so with decriminalization it could not be sold at stores legally, or taxed, and would remain a black market product, the only difference being that using weed would not be a criminal offense, but the product, again, could not be sold at general stores and be taxed like cigarettes or alcohol.

"Legalizing focuses more on the usage, taxation, and other laws surrounding it and puts the right into the hand of the federal government."-Yes, essentially with legalization marijuana could be legally sold and taxed at stores, and the black market for weed would be possibly completely annihilated.

"Decriminalizing focuses more on making the act of selling and owning pot legal, letting state and local government deal with regulation while letting the federal government have some say, but not full control." Woah, no there are states rights for weed as it is. That is why 5 states have already legalized weed, this just does not make sense. Legalization is making it federally legal, decriminalization would make smoking weed not illegal, so you would not be jailed from it.

"...because the regulating aspect of it should be left to the state and not the federal government." Ummmm, why? Then you would have deeply conservative states where this would never get passed, when it is something that brings in millions of dollars in tax revenue.

"Why would we put control of regulating something that they have been against for so long?" Who has been against? What does this mean? Anyway, people are coming around to legalization.
http://www.gallup.com... This gallup poll has 58% of Americans supporting legal marijuana use... nationally. Sample size-1,015 adults, age 18 and older.

A CBS news poll has 53% in favor of legalization, 1,012 adults surveyed. http://www.pollingreport.com...

So, people are definitely coming around to the point where majority of Americans support legalization. On a side note, I think it's kind of funny that most conservatives say they just want the government out of their lives, then say they want illegal gay marriage, illegal abortion, illegal marijuana, (not saying you are a conservative, definitely not.)

Now the positives of legalization. Some U.S states have legalized marijuana by now, Colorado being a good example. It is a clear example of the benefits.

Marijuana legalization:

-Actually lowers crime rates, in the first 11 months of 2014, crime fell 2.2%, much more than the same time frame in 2013, when marijuana was... illegal.

-Brings in so much revenue. In June 2015, almost a year ago, sales of cannabis reached over $50,000,000. Yes, it is extremely beneficial to commerce. It opens up a whole new industry.

-$60,000,000 in tax revenue. They made so much at a point, I remember, the government Colorado actually had to give money back to its people. http://countercurrentnews.com...

http://www.mintpressnews.com...
snowbunny

Pro

Why would it not be able to be sold at sores legally or taxed?

I didn't mean that there aren't already states right for weed already.

Yes, people have been changing their views, but federally they haven't changed.

What I meant was federally weed has been illegal for so long. Just because the people are for it doesn't mean that it will be changed by the federal government.
SocialDemocrat

Con

No I am saying it should be sold at stores legally and taxed but decriminalization does not do that but legalization does. Because decriminalization simply does not work like that. now usage just would not be treated like a criminal issue.

but none of our arguments argue what I said that legalization is better because of the revenue so you did not give any advantages of decriminalization over legalization.
snowbunny

Pro

snowbunny forfeited this round.
Posted by snowbunny 1 year ago
snowbunny
sorry about not posting on the last round. I felt really sick and completely forgot (not a good excuse though)
Posted by snowbunny 1 year ago
snowbunny
I think I was gonna lose from the beginning. :P based on my track record and the side i'm on.
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
I smell a semantics argument.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
Federally?
In the US?
Define terms please.
Vote Placed by Emmarie 1 year ago
Emmarie
snowbunnySocialDemocratTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD - Pro wasn't prepared to argue against legalization and could not provide arguments as to why decriminalization would be better than legalization. Pro ff'd round 4 when he specifically stated no ff's in round 1. Con's argument in favor of legalization was supported by the revenue raised in Colorado as well as the decrease in the crime rate.