Welfare, Medicare, Medicaid

The first round I will use to breakdown the guidlines, for I personally are not stricked of rules.

This will be my first time as you can see from my history on a topic like this.

The reason I just put welfare, Medicaid, Medicare, because its why are you against it and for it debate.

Since I am a nice guy, I will let my opponent start his argument, allowing me only four rounds and him five. Thats ok with me, so do not vote against it or for it.

The question is Why are you against it all, given reasons, proof, evidences to support your claim.

Wish my opponent good luck.

He may began

Thank you for challenging me to this debate.

I am opposed to Welfare, Medicaid, and Medicare primarily because they are not constitutionally justifiable. On top of this, they simply make the issue they claim to address, worse than they were before these programs were founded. They make government happy, they make insurance companies happy, and they make drug companies happy, but doctors and patients are worse off for it in general.

On top of all this, they are practically and fundamentally unsustainable. According to the official website of the Social Security Administration: "The long-run actuarial deficits of the Social Security and Medicare programs worsened in 2012 [...] Both Medicare and Social Security cannot sustain projected long-run program costs under currently scheduled financing [...] [Medicare] will experience cost growth substantially in excess of GDP growth in the coming decades due to aging of the population and [..] growth in expenditures per beneficiary exceeding growth in per capita GDP." (3)

Almost a third of doctors reject patients of Medicaid because of reimbursement issues. (4)

Allow me to quote Ron Paul, my best friend on the subject:

"When I got out of medical school in 1961, I practiced for a couple years before there was Medicaid. I worked in a Catholic hospital and didn't make hardly any money. Nobody was turned away, and people were treated. And back in those days, people weren't laying in the street with no medical care. Doctors always charged the least. Now, with the government coming in, with these programs that aren"t " you know, they"re totally bankrupt " everybody charges the most, everybody from the doctors to the labs to the hospitals." (1)

"When I started medicine, there was no Medicare or Medicaid, and nobody was out in the streets without it." (2)

(1) Ron Paul during town hall meeting in Manchester, New Hampshire, on December 19, 2011
(2) Ron Paul during a CNN debate in Jacksonville, Florida, on January 26, 2012
(4) In 2011 Nearly One-Third Of Physicians Said They Would Not Accept New Medicaid Patients, But Rising Fees May Help. Health Affairs. August 2012 31:81673-1679

I want to thank you for accepting my first time debating about Medicare, and Medicaid, also welfare.

I am for Medicaid, Medicare, welfare, they provide the edge for the American citizens, who are not so fortunate in this country. Medicaid and gives patients, the insurance needed to receive that medical attention, covers the most cost of high bills, allowing medical help affordable. Also keeps are veterans, whom fought in WW2+ the insurance coverage to get there treatment also. When we take allot at welfare, we are not only looking at Social Security, but also looking at programs such as: Food Stamps, Win, Cash assistance aka unemployment, etc.. There are many different programs involving welfare not just Social Security.

My opponent in his first argument stated a paragraph, he recognized only half of the paragraph used by the official website of the Social Security Administrations, as I have read the paragraph from the source he as given, my opponent failed to mention the true reason why it is affecting the decifit. Let me add a piece to the missing puzzle, that I have found in this paragraph, the missing text, in fact I shall copy and past all the paragraph, before I copy and paste I would like to give credit to the Social Security Administration for writing the paragraph, plus I shall include the link underneath the paragraph.

"The long-run actuarial deficits of the Social Security and Medicare programs worsened in 2012, though in each case for different reasons. The actuarial deficit in the Medicare Hospital Insurance program increased primarily because the Trustees incorporated recommendations of the 2010-11 Medicare Technical Panel that long-run health cost growth rate assumptions be somewhat increased. The actuarial deficit in Social Security increased largely because of the incorporation of updated economic data and assumptions. Both Medicare and Social Security cannot sustain projected long-run program costs under currently scheduled financing, and legislative modifications are necessary to avoid disruptive consequences for beneficiaries and taxpayers".

As we take a look into this paragraph, they have stated the missing information my opponent left out of his context, such as the phrases: Though in each case for different reasons. The actuarial deficit in the Medicare Hospital Insurance Program increased primarily, because the Trustees incorporate recommendations. The acturial deficit in Social Security increased largely, because of the incorporation of updated economic data and assumptions.

Now lets take a look of what Medicaid, Medicare, and Welfare mean.

A program, funded by the federal and state governments, which pays for medical care for those who can't afford it. The program typically helps low-income individuals or families, as well as elderly or disabled individuals. To receive Medicaid, an individual must meet certain requirements (such as income level), and also must go through an application process. Although all states participate in the Medicaid program, each state manages their own program, and is able to set different requirements and other guidelines.

Taking a cut or taking out Medicaid would gratefully increase sickness among this nation, without the Insurance to afford medical care, medical issue rates will double, plus when you visit the hospital, before checking in, they ask for insurance. Majority of the clinics, hospitals, will barely take patients without medical insurance. Each state manages their own programs, so as a full nation, this does not truly affect the national decifit, but could effect more of the individual states decifit.

A program under the U.S. Social Security Administration that reimburses hospitals and physicians for medical care provided to qualifying people over 65 years old.

Medicare for elderly of 65 years of age and up, also reimburses hospitals and physicians for medical care, now when you take Medicare away, your taking away care for the elderly, now I wonder if my opponent has a family member that is on Medicaid or Medicare?

Welfare is for people who are low-income families or individuals who need assistance, such as food stamps, wic, SSI, etc..

If a woman is pregnant, has a job, but barely makes ends meet, she would be recommended by clinics and approved to go get on wic, now wic is a program that helps with assisting a woman who is pregnant. Not only is the government helping the woman out, but also the unborn to be born child.

Food Stamps works the same, with low-income families, giving them an edge per month.

There are more welfare programs out there, as for right now I want to get to some of my opponents arguments that I have found interesting.

When my opponent stated almost a third of doctors reject patients of Medicaid, because of reimbursement issues I would like for my opponent to show these third of the doctors who reject Medicaid, when provides insurance for the unfortunate to get the medical treatment needed to be cured, to get surgeries, to save lives, to have babies with reduced risk of any problems.

Then my opponent quoted Ron Paul: what I would like to say is in surprised my opponent known this guy personally. What he quote from Ron Paul is in 1961, Ron Paul worked in a Catholic Hospital, did not make hardly any money, nobody was turned away, and the people were treated, back in those days, people were not living in the street with no medical care, Doctors always charged the least. Now, with the government coming in, with these programs that are not "you know, they're totally bankrupt" everybody charges the most, everybody from doctors to the labs to the hospitals."
My opponent no we do not know so please enlighten us on that "you know".

Before I make a statement lets finish what my opponent said "When I started medicine, there was no Medicare or Medicaid, and nobody was out in the street without it" Said Ron Paul

Now before my opponent continues with this statement he needs to recognized a hear say, Ron Paul said there was no Medicare, Medicaid when he was in medicine. Let me enlighten you now my opponent.

1961 to 2012 is a large difference time frame, prices then were low, affordable, but also lacked the treatments, also the value of the dollar back then had a huge value, then it does now. Now as time went on, prices have risen, also think about the min wage, as the min wage goes up the prices rises. For example: fuel, was back in those times under or about 1.50 a gal, as time went on the prices raised to average in some places 3.50 a gal, other places as high as 5.00 a gal.

As for my final statement in this round I would like my opponent to recognize is best friend lied about there being no medical assistance during that time. 1960 Medicare was developed, then a law was signed allowing Medicare in 1965.

So Ron Paul, was in medicine when Medicare and Medicaid came into play.

Now im not saying Ron Paul is a bad guy, he is human just like us, but he lied about there was no medicare and medicaid during his medicine career.

GarretKadeDupre forfeited this round.

EXtending arguments

If my opponent does not want to debate this subject I would kindly request my opponent to Concede from this debate.

"Serving his country, [Ron Paul] was as a doctor in the United States Air Force from 1963 [...]" (1)

Ron Paul didn't lie about that. When he started medicine, Medicare and Medicaid was not in effect. I concede everything else though; I've lost interest in this debate.

EXtending arguments

Extending arguments

Thank you for at least trying, good luck with your other debates.

You're welcome :) And thanks, you too!
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession