FollowJesus
katie.snappy

Welfare, Social Security, Abortion, and Gun Control all violate the Constitution

katie.snappy

FollowJesus

Pro

This debate will be based on the four subjects above in the topic: Welfare, Social Security, Abortion, and Gun control. Con will be arguing that those four subjects are legal in accordance with the constitution. This is a semi informal debate, although it would be appreciated if you put a short bio in round 1 in order to show viewers your exact stance on the situation.

Bio: I am a conservative all American capitalist who believes that welfare, Social Security, Abortion, and Gun Control not only violate our constitutional rights, but are also morally wrong. I believe these four objects manipulate the US citizens into allowing the government cheat, steal, and limit our freedoms.
katie.snappy

Con

Bio: I identify as independent but learn liberally on social issues but am more conservative on government spending. I believe that the four topics in this debate do not violate the Constitution explicitly but support the rights protected under the Constitution.
FollowJesus

Pro

FollowJesus forfeited this round.
katie.snappy

Con

Since my opponent forfeited this round, I am going to outline my contentions. First, I would like to clarify the premise of my arguments. My citations will primarily be from the Bill of Rights and the 27 Constitutional amendments, as the structure of government set forth in the Constitution is not of direct importance to the specifics of this debate.

Contention 1: The Constitution gives Congress the power to pass laws that are deemed necessary for the country.

Welfare, Social Security, abortion, and gun control were all passed lawfully in accordance with the process detailed in Article 1 Section 7. Based on Art. 1 Sec. 7, the programs being argued in this debate were Constitutional simply because the laws that established them were passed in the manner dictated in the Constitution. Additionally, the necessary and proper clause (Art. 1 Sec. 8) gives Congress the power to pass laws that are necessary "for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States."

Contention 2: Welfare and Social Security are actually supported by Constitutional principles.

During the Warren Court in the 1960's, the idea of "welfare rights" was popularized under it's interpretation of "equal protection" [1]. These welfare rights were justified under the Equal Protection Clause, as Justices and legal scholars determined that the government must have "a principled basis for distinguishing among individuals" [2]. Because welfare programs target those who are in need of governmental assistance, it satisfies the requirement of a "principled basis".

Contention 3: No aspect of abortion is addressed in the Constitution.

Pro-life activists often cite scientific evidence that abortion is immoral, but for the purposes of this debate, it is irrelevant. Even if it were to be determined that abortion was murder, it is not a violation of the Constitution, but rather federal and state penal codes.

Contention 4: Gun control is not an infringement on the 4th Amendment.

The full text of the 4th Amendment reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed". When looking at this in context it appears that the right to bear arms is directly linked to a well regulated Militia. Regardless of this interpretation, gun control falls under the necessary and proper clause, as it was introduced as a solution to rising rates of gun violence.

[1] http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu...
[2] http://scholarship.law.edu...
FollowJesus

Pro

FollowJesus forfeited this round.
katie.snappy

Con

As my opponent forfeited, I will not have a closing argument.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
FollowJesuskatie.snappyTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, arguments were only provided by Con. Who went through all 4 of welfare, social security, abortion, and gun control, and showed successfully how they are all supported by and don't violate the constitution.