txreinsider
kasmic

Welfare is Modern-day Slavery

txreinsider

Pro

It's very simple and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

Welfare is and has been a crutch for a long time particularly in the black community. When you have people proud of getting food stamp so that they can "sell" them to others for profit, then we have a problem. When we have graduates of a medical program turn down jobs because the money they make will affect their govt. benefits....we have a problem. When we have people that lie to take advantage of government housing and drive luxury cars and carry gucci and prada bags....there's a problem and when you have teenage boys with $300 belts and sneakers....we should realize that we are in a mess and theirs a systemic problem.

People have become career welfare receivers and are not ashamed of it.
kasmic

Con

I accept this debate!

Good luck to my opponent and welcome to DDO.

My opponent has resolved that Welfare is Modern-day Slavery. Burden of Proof on pro.
txreinsider

Pro

I have found from personal experience that many people that receive benefits have zero motivation to separate themselves from them. Moreover, they are motivated to continue receiving them.

If a 25 year old single mother living in "the hood" receives $600 per month in food stamps and is able to sell them for $300 in cash to whatever they pleased....then why would they take any necessary steps to lose that?

If the same mother is living in a $150,000 home in a very nice neighborhood with good schools and low crime and is paying only $500 per month on a $1,500 note, what might I ask, is their motivation to lose that?

This is just 2 of many examples of what I've seen first-hand. These are funds coming from us, the taxpayer and for some asinine reason their aren't any real restrictions on these benefits. If indeed, there were programs attached to the benefits and the 25 year old mother was given 6 months to receive benefits and was required to take classes on Money Management and Professionalism and was required to get Career Training all while seriously job searching, then this would be a viable formula.

Finally, the democratic government, in my opinion benefits from this crisis because it buys them votes. If I'm your councilman, state rep or congressman and I run on a platform promising to continue to "HELP" you by providing you with benefits, then of course you are going to vote for me. As a matter of fact, you're going to vote a straight democratic ticket, because they've been conditioned to think that the "white man republican" wants to keep them poor. When in actuality, their current reps are indeed keeping them poor by offering a life-long crutch. The shame in this is that people don't know any better and these communities never get better even though they keep their "fave politician" in officer for years.
kasmic

Con

C1) Semantics

Slavery: “the condition of a slave; bondage.” (dictionary.com)

Slave: “a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.” (dictionary.com)

Any reliable definition of slavery would show definitively that welfare is not a form of slavery. This negates the resolution alone.
txreinsider

Pro

txreinsider forfeited this round.
txreinsider

Pro

txreinsider forfeited this round.
txreinsider

Pro

txreinsider forfeited this round.
Posted by txreinsider 1 year ago
txreinsider
Both
Posted by txreinsider 1 year ago
txreinsider
Absolutely!

I'm more than ready to explain why.
Posted by kasmic 1 year ago
kasmic
I guess I am asking if you are arguing that welfare is slavery, or if welfare has a negative effect on society.
Posted by kasmic 1 year ago
kasmic
How do you define slavery. If the argument is that welfare is a disincentive to work I don't agree that it is slavery. Slavery was not a disincentive to freedom.... it was subjugation. Are you prepared to argue that welfare is subjugation?