MasterDebaters
toamatt26

Were the early American motives economic or Christian during the 1620-1750s?

toamatt26

MasterDebaters

Pro

The creation of colonies in North America was not because of religion but for economic gain.
toamatt26

Con

I accept. The early American motives were because of religion. (Not only Christian)

"The creation of colonies in North America was not because of religion but for economic gain."

I altered the resolution because it is not only Christianity, but other forms of religion that fueled the population increase of the thirteen British colonies, specifically.

I await my opponent's response.
MasterDebaters

Pro

I think that the colonies original intent were of religious motives such as the Puritans idea of a "City on a Hill", but as time progressed their actions upon the Native Americans and themselves tended to lean more on economic purposes. One example is the treatment towards Native Americans. Most of the colonists in the thirteen colonies were very hostile towards the Native Americans. Even though many of them proclaimed they were Christian and they were going to spread Christianity and purify the unknown land, they eventually resorted to violence and mass massacres of the native populations. One example of this is the Pequot massacre, the colonists killed roughly 600-700 men, women, and children. These actions clearly aren't for religious motives because the elimination of native tribes and villages allows the colonists to acquire more land for their livestock and eventually obtain power and wealth from the cash crops in the region.
toamatt26

Con

My opponent seems very confused about what he is debating about.

In this argument my opponent is saying that it was for economic gain that the colonies were built. Since this is round one, I assumed that I am arguing against this, and that religion was the main factor for the movement of Europeans to the Americas.

Almost the entire round 2 argument explains "that the colonies original intent were of religious motives such as the ..." Therefore, I thank my opponent for giving me an argument for round 2.

Now on to my arguments.

When the 13 colonies were created, It was mainly conquered by Britain. One, if not the main factor or motivation to come to the colonies, was religious freedom. I offer a quote from one of my sources: [1]

"On February 28, 1681, Charles II granted a land charter to William Penn to repay a debt of £16,000, owed to William's father, Admiral William Penn. This was one of the largest land grants to an individual in history. It was called Pennsylvania. William Penn, who wanted it called New Wales or Sylvania, was embarrassed at the change, fearing that people would think he had named it after himself, but King Charles would not rename the grant. Penn established a government with two innovations that were much copied in the New World: the county commission and freedom of religious conviction."[1]

The quote shows how Charles II gave around what is today £2,100,000 owed to William Penn's father. Penn later used that money : "Penn established a government with two innovations that were much copied in the New World: the county commission and freedom of religious conviction." [1] It says in the later part of the sentence that one innovation that was copied int he New World was freedom of religious conviction, or religious freedom. The King of Britain not only gave away money, which goes against my opponent's arguments, but the money was used to establish "a government with ... innovations that were much copied in the New World: the country commission and freedom to religious conviction.

I provide another quote to enhance my argument
"Many people came to America to search for religious freedom. Their hope was to escape the religious persecution they were facing in their countries. The one thing they did not want to do was to establish a church like the Church of England. The colonists wanted a chance to worship freely and have an opportunity to choose which religion they wanted to take part in. Upon arriving in America (the Pilgrims being the first to arrive in 1620), the journey began for the search of the "perfect" religion that could satisfy the needs of the people. " [2] This quote is self explanitory. It explains how people "came to America to search for religous freedom, in contrast to what my opponent is stating. "Religious diversity had become a dominant part of colonial life." [2]

"The term Great Awakening is used to refer to several periods of religious revival in American religious history. People identify three or four waves of increased religious enthusiasm occurring between the early 18th century and the late 19th century. Each of these "Great Awakenings" was characterized by widespread revivals led by evangelical Protestant ministers, a sharp increase of interest in religion, a profound sense of conviction and redemption on the part of those affected, an increase in evangelical church membership, and the formation of new religious movements and denominations." [3]

The article explains how the Great Awakening (1700s) was used to discribe the movement of people to the America's for religious freedom. The United States later makes this into the First Ammendment of the Constitution :Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. [4]

I await my opponent's arguments.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.uncp.edu...;
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[4] http://www.law.cornell.edu...
MasterDebaters

Pro

MasterDebaters forfeited this round.
toamatt26

Con

I extend my arguments
MasterDebaters

Pro

MasterDebaters forfeited this round.
toamatt26

Con

"Extiendo mis argumentos" [1]

[1] http://translate.google.com...
MasterDebaters

Pro

MasterDebaters forfeited this round.
toamatt26

Con

Vote con.
Vote Placed by debatinghoe123 3 years ago
debatinghoe123
MasterDebaterstoamatt26Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I still believe that the motives are for economic gain, but Con had better arguments and did not ff