philadam
kenicks

West Coast rock owns East coast rock

philadam

Pro

When you think of good rock bands, don't the names: ACDC, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beach Boys as well as many others
Eats cost has some good ones but west coast owns
kenicks

Con

philadam,

I wish you the best of luck in our debate.

You state that West Coast bands are better than East Coast Bands. This implies that the argument is focused on all rock bands on the Western Coast of America, and all rock bands on the Eastern Coast of America. This eliminates all rock bands that originated in Britain, UK, or elsewhere.

Apparently, you weren't clear on that part. You stated that three great Western Coast rock bands were ACDC, The Beach Boys, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. However, ACDC originated in Sydney, Australia. Therefore, they do not qualify as a West Coast rock band. This leaves you with The Beach Boys and the Red Hot Chili Peppers fending for West Coast rock.

West Coast rock lacks the diversity of location as East Coast rock. West Coast rock is made up primarily of two set locations: sunny California, and Washington. You don't hear about many famous rock sensations originating in the barrens of Utah, the deserts of Phoenix, the heart of Portland, Oregon.

East Coast rock has bands from many different states, from all around the Atlantic coast. To name a few, here's some lists I've compiled:

New York-Based Bands:
*The Ramones
*Television
*Patti Smith Group
*Mink Deville
*The Dead Boys
*The Dictators
*The Fleshtones
*Richard Hell & The Voidoids
*Blondie
*Talking Heads
*Barry Manilow
*Death Cab for Cutie
*Neil Diamond
*The Heartbreakers
*Sonic Youth
*Kiss
*Fiona Apple
*Cute is What We Aim For

New England-Based Rock Bands:
*The Pixies
*Aerosmith
*Boston
*Jonathan Richmond and the Modern Lovers
*Jay Giles Band
*Till Tuesday
*Dropkick Murphys
*Godsmack
*Rob Zombie
*Carly Simon
*James Taylor
*The Verve Pipe

New Jersey, Southeast, and everything else:
*Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
*Devo
*Bon Jovi
*Good Charlotte
*Black Tide
*The B-52's
*My Chemical Romance
*Hawthorne Heights
*Fugazi
*Verve Pipe
*Plain White T's
*Fall Out Boy
*Smashing Pumpkins

As you can see, there are many more East Coast rock bands than there are West Coast rock bands, providing a wider spectrum of choice for the everyday listener. I await your first rebuttal.
philadam

Pro

I can sit at my computer for two hours as well and name all my west coast bands but i won't because i have more debates and other things.
You listed a whole bunch of east coast bands and i respect you for your passion of rock
but most of the bands you named have either had a few hits or barely any fame at all
West Coast owns in consistency as they create multiple hits and never fade
the only bands i will give you credit for consistency is Aeorsmith but even they have not been at the level of the west coast hits and cosistency
out of that huge list, name me at least three bands which came out with at least four albums with great hits
your list would narrow down completly
you name good bands but that cant compete with the west
kenicks

Con

philadam,

You say that you "can sit at my computer for two hours as well and name all my west coast bands but i won't because i have more debates and other things", and that I "name good bands but that cant compete with the west".

If you are so sure of West Coast rock has better bands, and overall is better than East Coast rock and their bands, prove it! If someone with no knowledge of either type of music style looked at this debate, they would be greeted with my elaborate list of prominent East Coast rock bands, to your empty claims that West Coast rock is, in fact, better. You have yet to convince this person, or me, that West Coast rock is better than East Coast rock.

You also say that you are passing on elaborating more in this debate because you have "more debates and other things". If you don't have time to do a quality debate, I recommend you don't do one at all, until you find the time and energy to pump out a good one. Just a suggestion.

Back to the argument. You claim that if I name at least three bands which came out with four albums and had great hits, my list would narrow down completely. I shall now list bands with at least four albums and great hits:

Neil Diamond (28 studio albums, 13 U.S. Hot 100 Top 10 Hits)
Aerosmith (14 studio albums, 21 singles reached the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100)
The Pixies (5 Studio albums, Act of the Year in 2004 Boston Music Awards)
J. Geils Band (17 studio albums, 1981 single "Freeze Frame" reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100)
The Ramones (14 studio albums, 1976 single Blitzkrieg Bop enjoys great commercial success to this day)
Kiss (22 studio albums, 5 live albums, Rock And Roll All Nite reached Top 40 and enjoys commerical success to this day)
Devo (9 studio albums, Whip It reached #14 on US Hot 100, #1 on AUS ARIA Charts)
Bon Jovi (10 Studio Albums, 4 #1 US Hot 100 singles)
Fall Out Boy (4 studio albums, 3 US Hot 100 Top Ten Hits)
Smashing Pumpkins (7 studio albums, 1995 album Melon Collie and Infinite Sadness #1 on Billboard Hot 100)
Sonic Youth (15 studio albums, 1990 single Kool Thing #7 on US Hot 100)
Boston (6 studio albums, 8 Top 40 singles, including 1986 single "Amanda" which reached #1)
Death Cab For Cutie (10 studio albums, 5 Top 40 songs on US Modern Rock)
Blondie (8 studio albums, 4 #1 Billboard Hot 100 hits)
Fiona Apple (4 studio albums, 4 Top 40 US Modern rock hits)
Plain White T's (4 studio albums, 2007 re-release single Hey There Delilah #1 on Billboard Hot 100 for 2 weeks)
The B-52's (13 studio albums, 5 Top 40 US Hot 100 hits)
Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers (9 studio albums, "Roadrunner" stayed in the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 3 weeks)
Patti Smith Group (10 studio albums, Single "Because the Night" #13 on Billboard Hot 100)
Rob Zombie (7 albums, 6 Top 40 US Hot 100 Hits)
James Taylor (25 studio albums, 6 Grammy Awards)
Television (7 studio albums, 3 Top 40 UK hits)
Talking Heads (8 studio albums, 1991 single Sax and Violins #1 hits in US Modern Rock and US Mainstream Rock)
Barry Manilow (32 studio albums, 25 Top 40 US Hot 100 hits)
The Verve Pipe (8 studio albums, 1997 single The Freshman #5 on Billboard Hot 100)
Good Charlotte (4 studio albums, 2002 single "The Anthem" enjoys commercial success to this day, 3 Top 40 US Hot 100 singles)

Narrowed down completely? I think not.

For that matter, many East Coast bands out there are filled with future promise and legacy, such as Fall Out Boy, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Good Charlotte, Hawthorne Heights, and Black Tide. On a side note, I must say Black Tide is quite impressive for a band made up of teens, the oldest being 19. Their vocalist, Gabriel Garcia, is but 15 years old, and has some powerful pipes. Check out their single, "Shockwave".

East Coast bands have the promise, the legacy, and the statistics that put them ahead of West Coast bands.
philadam

Pro

to start, you misendurstood my questioon, i asked for bands with 4 or more record who have had hits in each of them, you only specifically gave me some songs, i am talking about at least 6 to 8 hits, not your measly 3 to 4 and sometimes even 1

also, i will give you a list, but i wont bore people with random bands with little or no fame. I am of course talking about bands with great success:
Metallica
Blink 182
Jimmy Hendrix
Green Day
Guns and Roses
Jimmy Eat World
Kansas
Linkin Park
Nirvana
The Offspring
Sugarcult
System of a Down
Weezer

these are some of the few well known, famous and consistent bands brought about by the west coast.
You can give me hundreds of eats cost bands but people would still recognize more bands from this list than urs
ur list is good and i do like east coast rock but for you to say that east caost rock is better is wrong. You have stated a bunch of new bands but all the good classic rock comes from back then in like the 60s and the west coast, california in particular developped this breakthrough fo this type of music, ROCK
kenicks

Con

philadam,

I apologize for misunderstanding your question. Thank you for clarifying.

However, the bands you have listed as "famous and consistent bands brought about by the west coast" don't all have these credentials. Every Blink 182 album released wasn't chocked full of wonders; the same goes for Guns N' Roses, The Offspring, Sugarcult, or Jimmy Eat World. In fact, I, in all modesty, have knowledge of music, can only name one song from three of these bands; All the Small Things (Blink 182), Welcome to the Jungle (Guns N' Roses), and The Middle (Jimmy Eat World). To make matters worse, I have never heard of The Offspring, or Sugarcult. Maybe it's because their music doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I hadn't discovered them yet, but were next on my list of fate. Or maybe, just maybe, they weren't as good as their East Coast rivals.

After looking the bands you listed up, I noticed that each and every band was from either California, or Washington. Not Oregon, not Nevada, just California and Washington. This furthermore proves my argument that East Coast rock bands are more diversified than West Coast rock bands. By the way, for future reference, I suggest you check a Rock history book, or at least a map; The progessive rock band "Kansas", formed in 1972, originated in Topeka, Kansas-far from the West Coast. In the midwest, actually. Truly a pity, because you really didn't need another band taken off your inadequate list.

Throughout my comparisons, research, and personal listening to the different artists and styles, I have concluded that East Coast rock does in fact "own" West Coast rock. Thank you for taking your time to read this debate, and I urge you to vote for the better debater, rather than opinion.
Posted by sghallma 9 years ago
sghallma
hmmm... The quality of the bands listed for East Coast greatly outweighs the sh*t bands that are listed for the West Coast. East Coast wins.
Posted by eyeleapy 9 years ago
eyeleapy
West Side Yo, everyone knows Tu-Pac is better than Biggie
Vote Placed by sghallma 9 years ago
sghallma
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by mikemc5921 9 years ago
mikemc5921
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by johnwooding1 9 years ago
johnwooding1
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by philadam 9 years ago
philadam
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by eyeleapy 9 years ago
eyeleapy
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
philadamkenicksTied
Vote Placed by massvideogamer 9 years ago
massvideogamer
philadamkenicksTied