rickyd0714
Nuevo

Western Culture Is Morally Superior

rickyd0714 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

rickyd0714

Pro

I'm arguing for the moral superiority of Western Culture. Con sets the rules.
Nuevo

Con

I'll prove that Eastern Culture is morally superior than Western Culture.

Round 2- Introductory Arguments, No Rebuttals
Round 3- Rebuttals
Round 4- Rebuttals
Round 5- Conclusion, Rebuttals
rickyd0714

Pro

I'm going to argue why Western Culture is superior morally to many cultures. First, the Asian culture. Let's take a look at China, which has a clear male bias. Any feminist would have an issue with the fact that many adults throw away their children for a male child, because the male could do more work and carry the family name. Many daughters are thus put in orphanages. I actually knew two girls who were adopted by Americans from China because their family didn't want a daughter. Let's now take a look at Western society. In the West, we're more than happy to take in daughters as well as sons. We don't put women into orphanages nearly as much as in the East. Thus, in the East, men are seen as better than women, something that's clearly upsetting morally.
Nuevo

Con

Since this is just a friendly debate, I'd like to tell Pro that they can add new arguments in the next rounds (I forgot to include this, my apologies) except the last round, which should contain only of closing rebuttals and a conclusion. With that being all said, let me present my arguments.

Eastern culture is morally superior for the evident collectivism and togetherness it achieves as opposed to Western Individualism. Being in a community, aware of your cultural bubble along with its norms and practices, aids individuals of the East in being more affable and sensible, generous and thoughtful, family-oriented and religious. Belief systems such as Buddhism and Confucianism, two of the most prominent Eastern belief systems strongly promotes an inward reflection and purging for one's self-improvement. Turning intenally to get better externally is a key value among Eastern religions that banner the morality of the Eastern World. Western Individualism cultivates a sense of independence, which is good, but later can, not saying it sure does but implying a possibilty that, tends to lean to selfishness and greed because of the individualistic nature of the Western world.

I will present an excerpt from the article "Morality of the West"[1]:

"According to a study by Rutgers University, over 70% of all university students admit they have cheated at least once. And there's probably a few more who wouldn't admit it. The most common form of cheating admitted to is plagiarism. Students have always copied from someone else's paper or stealthily brought forbidden notes into the classroom. But the incidence is rising. Nineteen percent admit they have faked a bibliography, and fourteen percent say they have handed in a computer program written by someone else.

This report highlights the fact that many students today are either unable or unwilling to act in an ethical manner. William Kilpatrick, in his book Why Johnny Can't Tell Right From Wrong, brings to light the millions of crimes committed yearly on or near school property. Children go to school scared and intimidated. Many teachers contemplate and actually do leave the profession because of all the discipline and behavior problems. A professor of philosophy at Clark University says:

Students come to college today as moral stutterers. They haven't been taught much respect for what I call "plain moral facts," the need for honesty, integrity, responsibility. It doesn't take a blue-ribbon commission to see this. Students don't reason morally. They don't know what that means."

This shows the adverse effects of abject individualism that the Wester World holds dear.

Your turn.

[1]http://www.leaderu.com...