peacenotwar500
newreaper

Western RPG's are better video games than Eastern RPG's

peacenotwar500

Pro

Hello! Thank you for checking out this debate. I have taken the position as the pro/for position the title statement of "Western RPG's are better video games than Eastern RPG's." For the sake of definition, RPG stands for Role Playing Game. Western will be defined as North America to Western Central Europe. Eastern will be defined as Eastern Central Europe all the way through Russia and the continent of Europe. Please go easy on me if I happen to mess up my debating etiquette somewhere in my my arguments as this is my first debate on Debate.org. I obviously know that basic rules (i.e. basic spelling, don't insult your opponent ect.) but if there is something I mess up (in relation to rules of debate.org) in my arguments, please feel free to point is out to me **in a constructive manor. Back to business, the debate is 3 rounds, your time to rebut is 24 hours, the maximum character limit per argument is 8,000, and the voting period is 3 days. Thank you for reading and I look forward to an interesting debate.
newreaper

Con

All righty based on the fact you have said that Western RPG's are better, you'll have to admit this is a subjective matter and that there will be no definite 'right' answer. Which is annoying cause I like being right :p
I'd like to see what examples you use and what your defence for them is.
peacenotwar500

Pro

peacenotwar500 forfeited this round.
newreaper

Con

Okay then it can be split into 4 basic categories for me, gameplay (includes story line), graphics, music and overall public opinion.
The most obvious example is the Final fantasy franchise, it's worldwide and the story line although varies from game to game keeps me hooked the entire way through. The graphics used are of the highest standard, and a fortune is spent on them. An entire orchestra is made especially for them. It has been labelled best video game franchise and has 7 entries in the Guinness world records.
A game called Dragon quest, which is the first RPG of its kind published in Japan was revolutionary to the way RPGs were designed and played. Not only through clever incorporation Eastern producers have started creating RPGs that involve not only action, but dating (not my thing) or academics. I'm not saying that western do not produce these types of RPG, but they produce fewer and of lower quality.
Then there is one of the biggest RPGs in the world known as Ragnarock online. It has become so popular it now has its own anime. Although sprite based, the graphics are not terrible and the gameplay is amazing. It is certainly more popular than any other RPG worldwide that I know.
I believe you may have the misconception that quantity outranks quality, western RPGs are released in the masses whereas with Eastern RPGs the best survive the filter and get into the UK, US etc. Finding a good western RPG will be easier because they haven't the filter process that a good eastern one may be subject too.
peacenotwar500

Pro

peacenotwar500 forfeited this round.
newreaper

Con

don't start a debate you won't finish it's annoying
Posted by MilitaryAtheist 5 years ago
MilitaryAtheist
...Xenoblade and The Last Story are also very good JRPGs.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei, etc. are JRPGs, or the Eastern RPGs.

ME3 are the ARPGs, or the Western RPGs.
Posted by Chaos88 5 years ago
Chaos88
Where does Japan fall in?
Can you name some famous RPG's of each kind so people can know?