Fluer
Physik

Western countries should allow eastern countries to become the "superpowers"

Physik

Fluer

Pro

First round is acceptance and definitions only.

Definitions

Western Countries: United States, United Kingdom, Germany... etc
Eastern Countries: China, India, Japan... etc
Superpowers: a state with a dominant position in the international system which has the ability to influence events and its own interests and project power on a worldwide scale to protect those interests. (http://en.wikipedia.org...)
Physik

Con

Fluer

Pro

Apologies but this round will be shorter than I had anticipated due to a lack of time.
I want to bring up three points; work ethic, environment and economy.

We know intrinsically that those in eastern countries especially China, challenger of the US, are brought up in a society that is framed around a strong work ethic. Many western countries are now failing to meet the same standard. Countries in the west are feeling the bite of many problems at the moment, a struggling economy, a decreasing amount of fuel, environmental issue and political swings and round abouts. By allowing the west to assume the role of the superpowers, which is more than likely going to happen anyway we allow this work ethic to become the driving force leading us through these problems. The west is clinging on out of glory rather than anything seriously substantial. The east however is improving with China being the main example. They're economy is getting stronger while ours is being taken on a roller coaster ride. By allowing this strength to stabilise the global market we have a chance to improve our own economy helping us be better equipped to deal with the dilemma's we face. I also believe that it might improve our own work ethic too. As I said the west is clinging on because of glory. We are still powerful enough to improve if we have the will to do so. If the east become the "superpowers" we would have a far tastier target that we can only achieve by hard work.
I want to bring up eastern advances in areas such as solar power.

"China has become a world leader in the manufacture of solar photovoltaic technology, with its six biggest solar companies having a combined value of over $15 billion. Around 820 MW of solar PV were produced in China in 2007, second only to Japan.[20]
Following the new incentive scheme of Golden Sun announced by the government in 2009, there are numerous recent developments and plans announced by industry players that became part of the milestones for solar industry and technology development in China, such as new thin film solar plant developed by Anwell Technologies in Henan province using its own proprietary solar technology, the agreement signed by LDK for a 500 MW solar project and the solar power plant project in a desert teamed up with First Solar and Ordos City. The effort to drive the renewable energy use in China was further assured after the speech of the Chinese President given at the UN climate summit on 22 September 2009 in New York, pledging that China will adopt plans targeting to use 15% of its energy from renewable sources within a decade." [1]
These types of technologies are highly valuable because of the environmental problems and lack of fuel that the world is facing and Eastern countries are fast becoming world leaders in these types of technologies.
Many big brands that western countries take for guaranteed are based in Asia as shown from the extract below.

"Korea is the home to Samsung, LG, Hyundai, and other notable technology-driven firms. Phillips, the major European consumer electronics firm, could enter the flat panel TV market only through a joint venture with LG. Taiwan is the base for Acer, which recently acquired Gateway, a major U.S. computer company. Four decades ago, Samsung, LG, and Hyundai were small firms. Acer, Logitech, and other large Taiwanese high-tech firms did not exist. Newer industrializing nations such as China and India are also improving their technological base. China is home to Lenovo, the largest laptop manufacturer in Asia, which now owns IBM's former laptop division, and India possesses a thriving software industry. Egypt, the most industrially developed Arab economy, exports largely simple textiles and clothing."

I would also urge my opponent and any other readers to check out table 4 on the website: https://www.uschina.org...
China's trade is increasing every year and with the advancements they are making in science and technology they are in the best position to take over as the world super powers. They are more equipped to lead the world through these new troubles and the west should let it happen because it has bennifits for us too.

Again I'm sorry for this rushed post and look forward to new developments from my opponent.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.issues.org...
Physik

Con

My opponent brought up three points (work ethic, environment and economy) in an attempt to support the motion that ‘we' should let eastern nations become superpowers. My opponent seems to contend that the act of letting Eastern nations become superpowers will somehow benefit humanity. This, of course, is absurd.

Point 1 – Work Ethic

My opponent has made a rather odd argument by contending that an Eastern work ethic is superior. While there can be no doubt that people in Eastern nations generally work harder and longer for less pay, I fail to see how this is something that should be aspired to. Such conditions inevitably breed misery and resentment, and I do not see how such a work ethic would benefit society.

Point 2 – Economy

My opponent brought up economy, specifically mentioning that of China. Yes, China undoubtedly has a fast growing economy, but how does this translate into "we should let China become a superpower" or "the world would then be better off if China were a superpower"? I would remind everyone that China is a communist nation, ranks relatively poorly in human development [1], and has an extremely low GDP per capita [2].

Point 3 – Environment

This one is just amusing, as it somehow implies that the environmental practices of eastern nations are somehow superior. This is a list of the top 20 most polluted cities in the world [3]. As you can see, every single one is from an eastern nation, with over half being from China alone.

In summary:

The points my opponent provided have done nothing to support her claim that "we should let Eastern nations become superpowers".

For my own arguments, I would like to remind everyone of a couple of things:

1. Nations exist only to advance their own interests.
2. The Cold War.
3. There exists no good reason why we should encourage Eastern nations to become superpowers.

C1 – Nations exist only to advance their own interests.

This point does not need elaboration. It will suffice to say that letting India or China become superpowers will not benefit Western society or humanity in general; and that should said nations achieve that status they will act in the interests of themselves, not humanity.

C2 – The Cold War.

I just want to remind everyone of the last time two superpowers attempted to coexist, and the resulting conflicts and threats that arose.

For those that don't know, the cold war was a global conflict between the United States of America and her allies, and The Soviet Union and its satellite states. The presence of these superpowers led to the world essentially being divided in two, and a huge arms race began. Numerous ‘proxy' wars were fought between the two powers, like the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Throughout the entire conflict, the world was always under the threat of a total nuclear war.

In no way did this event benefit the world, and there is absolutely no reason why we should encourage a similar conflict between the United States and Eastern powers.

C3 – There exists no good reason why we should let Eastern nations become superpowers.

This is more a reminder that the burden of proof rests on the person making the claims. Until such an argument is presented, there is no reason to deviate from the standard position (my position).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...(PPP)_per_capita
[3] http://www.allcountries.org...
Fluer

Pro

Sorry I don't have enough time at the moment to post this last round.
I will just let my opponent take the win for this one.
Well done and thank you for accepting.
Physik

Con

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully you have more time next time (terrible word play FTW).
Posted by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
LOL north korea
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
FluerPhysikTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO conceded
Vote Placed by Angelo 5 years ago
Angelo
FluerPhysikTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
FluerPhysikTied
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
FluerPhysikTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded, which allowed Con to win the debate.
Vote Placed by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
FluerPhysikTied
Reasons for voting decision: Refuted Pro's arguments and Pro gave Con the win.