ianspigler
Brainmaster

What T.V. Show is better, Battlestar Galatica or Star Trek?

ianspigler

ianspigler

Pro

I am of strong conviction that Battlestar Galatica is superior to Star Trek, however I am open for a different opinion.
Brainmaster

Con

I will assume R1 is for acceptance.
ianspigler

Pro

I will begin my next argument by saying that BSG is superior to Star Trek in that BSG does not have a very big EU (Expanded Universe) so you don't get mixed up so much on things like "Okay that dude in the movie was eaten up by a black hole in Issue 72, what the frak is going on here?" Also, BSG has one thing that Star Trek doesn't and that one of there main characters was featured in the main title sequence on the A-Team! Also, since ST Voyager and ST Generations the T.V. show has tanked on quality.
Brainmaster

Con

"I will begin my next argument by saying that BSG is superior to Star Trek in that BSG does not have a very big EU (Expanded Universe) so you don't get mixed up so much on things like "Okay that dude in the movie was eaten up by a black hole in Issue 72, what the frak is going on here?"

Actually, this can be used in a good fashion by adding new original content to the series.

"Also, BSG has one thing that Star Trek doesn't and that one of there main characters was featured in the main title sequence on the A-Team!"

Yeah, and the Borg are Cylon rippofs.

"Also, since ST Voyager and ST Generations the T.V. show has tanked on quality."

Opinionated argument detected. There is no argument here except an opinion.
ianspigler

Pro

I will begin my next argument by pointing out that when the original aired it was ranked 52nd out of 94 (when it was canceled) programs airing at that time, very significant. Also, When Star Trek ENT (Enterprise) was canceled it only was 1 million viewers strong, which obviously shows a drop in quality (my opponet will probably point out that that has nothing to do with quality so I will reaffirm my statement by saying no one habitually watches low quality programming also, althought "quality" is an opinion I would like to point out that no one compares Michalealanglo to my 3 year old cousin's art i.e. you have to draw a line somewhere). Second I take offense that the Cylon are Borg rip-offs. Because, BSG aired in 1979 (quite a few years before the TNG episode "Best of Both Worlds" when the Borg debuted) Also, Gene Roddenbury wanted "insect-like beings" for the Borg but money was tight so he went for some "robot-looking things" (Star Trek: The Offical Guide) i.e. Borg and Cylons come from two totally different concepts. Also, Cylons have religious beliefs and were a metaphor for religous fanaticism. Whereas the Borg are representative of communism. In addition to that the Cylon race comes from the ancestral home were the colonist came from, whereas the Borg it is unknown there origins (except that they dwell in the delta quadrant). Now, going to my next line of reasoning, my opponet has rebuttaled all my arguments but he does not answer the debate. In this deabte, one of us must prove that people overall enjoy BSG other than Star Trek. So, I shall present such. The movies from 1-12 (excluding The Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, First Contact, and Galaxy Quest) have all margined a megar 30% (average) approval rating and the T.V. series as I pointed out from above has never fared well. ( DS9 60%, VGR 30%,ENT 23%,ST ORG 70% stats courtesy of Entertainment Weekly) whereas BSG debuted with the highest ratings on air and was canceled due to budget, not ratings (info courtesy of Life Story magazine). The remake has enjoyed wide sucess with very few complaints and even has a web series. So, as you can see the BSG fans have had almost constant appreciation of the writers and series. Whereas Star Trek's relation with the fans is a long and tragic one. Another argument I would like to post is that BSG has had award-winning actors like Lorne Greene and Llyod Bridges (and what do you have Star Trek-NOTHING!). I would like to end my argument by going off on a tangent and would like to say, have you ever noticed that everyone's private parts on Star Trek are exactly the same ? I mean you never hear some alien chick saying " Hey, Captain Kirk, get your thing out of my nose !"
Brainmaster

Con

Brainmaster forfeited this round.
Posted by Brainmaster 6 years ago
Brainmaster
Star wars is gayfaggery.
Posted by Brainmaster 6 years ago
Brainmaster
Star wars is gayfaggery.
Posted by ianspigler 6 years ago
ianspigler
You can pretty much tell that I still don't have a girlfriend.
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 6 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
Starwars kicks both of thems @$$. :)
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
ianspiglerBrainmasterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Wall of text at the end but valid points in there to be dug out. 3:1 Pro (2:1 argument forfeit).