Thegemify
Doritosguy93

What came first chicken or egg? -for egg, against-chicken

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Thegemify

Pro

I believe that the egg came first because without an egg there would be no chicken. It takes years of evolution and obviously natural selection between species when mating so I think that it took years for reptiles and other birds to keep mutating and evolving before we finally came dOwn with our regular Joe chickens
Doritosguy93

Con

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for my first debate.
I believe the chicken came first, because, as was discovered by British scientists, there is a protein found only in a chickens ovaries that is essential for the development of the egg's shell. This means that a chicken egg can only be produced by a chicken. With the link to the article reporting the study, I pass the baton back to my opponent.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com...
Thegemify

Pro

The modern day chicken was actually believed to have descended from another closely related species of birds : the red junglefowl and "recently discovered genetic evidence suggests that the modern domestic chicken is a hybrid descendant of both the red junglefowl and the grey junglefowl."
With that I would like to say that an egg would have to hatch first before the first actual chicken was born.
Doritosguy93

Con

Assuming my opponents last sentiment is true, it is my contention that the egg was not a chicken egg, but rather a junglefowl egg that produced a chicken through some manner of mutations. Which means, though a chicken did come from an egg, the egg was not a chicken egg, and the chicken came first.
I would also like to request that my opponent produce a link or some other evidence to back the claim that a chicken was produced by two similar species of junglefowl.
Thegemify

Pro

As you requested : http://en.wikipedia.org...

You have a solid point, I like, I like:

I'd like to point out that although it isn't the actual egg of the chicken that was being laid; it was through mutations and natural selection through breeding of the reptiles and bird species to be able to actually create the first modern day chicken as we have here on earth today. "Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken."

And so that would mean that the first chicken would not be able to be created without the first egg. Which sounds logical... As you have to be born first to be able to bore others

And that is all I really have to say, that you have to get the egg before you get the chicken.

That was fun thanks for asking me to debate! :)
Doritosguy93

Con

I would like once again to thank my opponent for a challenging first debate.
While I respect your effort in arguing your point, it is my decision not to concede. I noticed the source you cited was wikipedia, which, as we know, isn't very reliable. Knowing this, no one could believe 100% of what you gathered from that site. It is with these closing statements that I urge the audience of this debate to vote con.
Posted by Doritosguy93 6 years ago
Doritosguy93
Is there a sturdy argument that the chicken came first?
Posted by Doritosguy93 6 years ago
Doritosguy93
Yeah, I didn't choose the topic or the position I argued for, pro did. I accepted because I wanted my first debate.
Posted by lucyalice1989 6 years ago
lucyalice1989
Micro-organisms, it really goes hand in hand. There has to be single cell before there is a egg, the egg developed after the cell... whether u think that it is a chicken egg or not it must have evolved from another specimen. To answer the debate you have to ask the reasonings on why chicken's needed a hard shelled egg?.. the answer lies in evolution (mutation occurs when a animal/mammal etc needs a certain characteristic to benefit survival).
Posted by XimenBao 6 years ago
XimenBao
I did this debate awhile ago. It's all about whether the egg and whether it's a chicken egg that comes from a junglefowl or a junglefowl egg that hatches into a chicken. It's a debatable point, but Con seemed to find it unchallengable.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
ThegemifyDoritosguy93Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 3 was clear or Pro, but unique arguments made for Con. 3:2 Pro.
Vote Placed by mrsmooth27 6 years ago
mrsmooth27
ThegemifyDoritosguy93Tied
Reasons for voting decision: You're both wrong....neutral vote :P There's no right answer here.
Vote Placed by XimenBao 6 years ago
XimenBao
ThegemifyDoritosguy93Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con couldn't pull it together at the end, last round was nothing but a source nitpick.
Vote Placed by kohai 6 years ago
kohai
ThegemifyDoritosguy93Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Fun debate, con had better sources, but pro had better arguments. In the last round, con did not give a refutation of pro.