Armadillosushi
MrJosh

What came first, chicken (pro) or egg (con)?

MrJosh

Armadillosushi

Con

First round is acceptance.
I believe the egg came first, and that I can back up my claim with science. You can use any information from any source you like, although the legitimacy may be called into question (for example, basing your argument on a religious text that says the chicken came first).
MrJosh

Pro

I accept this challenge. I await CON's arguments.
Armadillosushi

Con

Evolution relies heavily on genetic changes to slowly make a species better adapted for their environment. Natural selection then spreads that gene around.
For example, a gene for a shorter, stronger beak on a bird that eats nuts and seeds would let that bird eat their food more easily, resulting in better health and a better chance of breeding and passing on that 'short beak' gene to their offspring.
These genetic changes or mutations don't happen over the course of a chicken's life; what makes a chicken a chicken is their genetic structure, inherited from their parents.
Therefore, the chicken as we know it today was an egg that had evolved, not as a creature that transformed into a chicken during the course of their life.
In short: chickens evolved to be the way they are in their eggs, so the egg came first.
MrJosh

Pro

I would like to thank CON for setting up this debate. Since this is a short debate, why not jump right in. Since CON didn’t do so at the outset, I’ll start with a definition:

Egg: “An oval or round object laid by a female bird…usually containing a developing embryo” [1].

Chicken Development

Having gotten that definition out of the way, I would like to state that I accept wholeheartedly the first three paragraphs of what CON submitted, that is, the parts on evolution, and genetic changes. Also, CON’s point about how whatever it is that made the first chicken a chicken, is contained in their genetic makeup.

To build upon what CON and I agree on, I would like to point out that that genetic makeup is determined at the moment of fertilization [2]. Therefore, it is at the moment the oocyte (basically the yolk) is fertilized that we get a new individual; the first chicken. After fertilization, the fertilized oocyte , travels down the oviduct of the hen, where it is covered with a membrane which will become the egg white. Later, shortly before it is is laid, the calcite shell forms around the yolk [3].

Before the shell formed, we had the genetic makeup of a chicken (and therefore a chicken), but we did not have an egg. This new creature did not form inside the egg, but rather, before the egg formed around it. Therefore, the chicken came before the egg.

Closing Thoughts

I have both shown how CON’s claim is incorrect, and demonstrated my own resolution. I look forward to the next round.

[1] http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3] http://www.enchantedlearning.com...
Armadillosushi

Con

Armadillosushi forfeited this round.
MrJosh

Pro

Sadly, CON missed her opportunity to argue in this last round. I demonstrated that the chicken came before the egg; CON has not fulfilled her burden.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
wow I stated my vote before I saw the comment.....Lol
Posted by KingDebater369 2 years ago
KingDebater369
The resolution states, "what came first, chicken or egg?" Well... Dinosaurs layed eggs far before chickens were in existence. Thus the egg came first.

The resolution should be, "Which game first, the chicken, or the chicken egg?". The way this resolution is worded, con can win by the logic I stated above.

"it's elementary my dear Watson."
Posted by Sfaulkner 2 years ago
Sfaulkner
Egg came first.
Posted by Amoranemix 2 years ago
Amoranemix
I almost accepted this, thinking you claimed the chicken came first.
Vote Placed by Codedlogic 2 years ago
Codedlogic
ArmadillosushiMrJoshTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
ArmadillosushiMrJoshTied
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
ArmadillosushiMrJoshTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF- Thus con did not full fill the share of BOP Also, tip: The egg came first with dinosaur eggs! Don't steal that from me tho in another debate :)