S98-SAMMAN
DHDebate

What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

DHDebate

S98-SAMMAN

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for accepting this debate whoever he/she may be. In this debate I will be arguing that the egg came first and my opponent, Con will be arguing that the chicken came first. In this debate, there will only be one rule and that is that the first round will not contain any arguments to make this a fair debate. The arguments will begin in round two.
Thank you again to my opponent.
DHDebate

Con

I accept the debate and look forward to a good, fun round.
In this debate I will be defending the position that the chicken came before the egg.
S98-SAMMAN

Pro

My argument today will be VERY simple.

I will first offer some definitions.

=====DEFINITIONS=====

Chicken- A domestic fowl kept for its eggs or meat, esp. a young one

Egg- An oval or round object laid by a female bird, reptile, fish, or invertebrate, usually containing a developing embryo. The eggs of birds are enclosed in a chalky shell, those of reptiles in a leathery membrane.

=====ARGUMENT=====

Chickens first appeared on Earth between 7000 BC and 8000 BC. Now notice the definition of egg. The egg may come from a reptile, fish, bird, or invertebrate. Dinosaurs are reptiles and they lived 230 million years ago. Many dinosaurs laid eggs therefore the egg did indeed come before the chicken.

=====SOURCES=====
http://wiki.answers.com...

http://www.scienceviews.com...

=====OVERVIEW=====
I have proved my case with fact only. I have proved that the egg did indeed come long back before the chicken. Vote PRO!!!!!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to debate with you. I look forward to reading your response.
DHDebate

Con

= Opening Statements=
I thank my opponent for his constructive arguments!

So before begin with any kind of constructive arguments, I would like to voice my disappointment with my opponent for having take such a weak semantic route out of this debate. When pondering the question "what came first the chicken or the egg" the correct line of thinking is to assume the egg spoken of is in fact that of the chicken.
However I will go with what my opponent has stated and and argue accordingly.

Also, please note that is not an argument in and of itself; please do not vote on these statements but on the arguments that will follow hence.

= Definitions =
I will concede to my opponent's definitions of "Chicken" and "Egg". Although I am completely confused as to why they would define these terms when we are speaking of "the chicken" and "the egg".
That said I will offer two definitions which it would appear has slipped my opponent's mind to define.

[1] the chicken- From Wikipedia (the first thing to pop up when googling "the chicken") the chicken is "The chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus) is a domesticated fowl, a subspecies of the Red Junglefowl. As one of the most common and widespread domestic animals, and with a population of more than 24 billion in 2003, there are more chickens in the world than any other species of bird. Humans keep chickens primarily as a source of food, consuming both their meat and their eggs."

[2] the egg- "The construction of The Egg began in 1966 and was completed twelve years later in 1978. The Egg was designed by Wallace Harrison for all the people of New York State and to accommodate many events and performances."

= Arguments =
(note, that I will be going first con, then pro.)

Con-

1. I will extend across my opponent's evidence that the chicken first appeared on Earth around between 7000 BC and 8000 BC. meaning that chickens are some 10,011 years old. Whereas the egg, a performance center built in 1966, is only 45 years old.
This means that the chicken came well before the egg, some 9,966 before the egg in fact.

2. Our knowledge of the dinosaurs is very limited, and based off of dating techniques not fully proved. Even so, even without this dating technology, we have direct evidence that the egg was only built in 1966. whereas chickens where farmed and kept well before 1966. Essentially the point I need to drive home here, is that I am able to prove that the chicken came before the egg independent of questionable evidence.

Pro-

My shows us that the chicken came between 7000 BC and 8000 BC, however they never speak of the egg. Instead, they for some reason, speak about eggs in general. This makes absolutely no sense and cannot extend across for them, as the subject are we are debating is not "Chicken v Egg" but it is "the chicken v the egg".
Furthermore, it cannot even be just an understood the term "the egg" is inclusive to any kind of egg; as a person never makes egg a proper noun. We always say "can you get me an egg" or "where is an egg", when we speak of a single egg, it is never spoken of as "the egg".
Where as a quick google search of the the phrase "the egg"will bring you to the egg's center for the performing art's website. If you don't believe me, google it yourself, and if that's too much trouble I'll google it for you; just follow this link: http://lmgtfy.com... egg .

Also, I would like to extend across the two constructive arguments I myself presented as key voting issues in this round.

= Conclusion =
My opponent never even made a case for proving that the egg came before the chicken; whereas a quick google search will put to rest any doubt in any person's mind, that the chicken came well before a building built in 1966.

Accordingly I urge a Con vote.

= Sources =
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.theegg.org...
Posted by Double_R 3 years ago
Double_R
He has that many wins?
Posted by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
he is very well informed about debate, you know with his 5% win ratio
Posted by Double_R 3 years ago
Double_R
"This is a sad debate."

LMFAO Calvin Cambridge calling this debate sad???
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 3 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
In any case, this is not an unanswered question as people commonly assume. It has been definitively proved that a chicken's egg came before the chicken. Pro missed a chance to win.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
@S98, you want my RFD? Conduct to Con because you tried to spring a semantic argument on him. Arguments to Con for "the nice save" to which you freely admit. Sources to Con because you used wiki answers whereas Con used more reliable sources. SG to Con because someone who does not present a legitimate argument loses SG as well.
Posted by DHDebate 3 years ago
DHDebate
Lol :-)
Posted by S98-SAMMAN 3 years ago
S98-SAMMAN

check this out!!! press control f and type the chicken. It's a song written in 1992!! haha!! ownd!!
Posted by S98-SAMMAN 3 years ago
S98-SAMMAN
But DH I have to give you credit, that was a nice save. =)
Posted by S98-SAMMAN 3 years ago
S98-SAMMAN
Ummm vote bomb much? Conduct?? Grammar??
Posted by Chuz-Life 3 years ago
Chuz-Life
The chicken clearly came first.

Eggs can't even breathe hard.....
Vote Placed by curious18 3 years ago
curious18
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Take that semantics!
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: The trouble with springing semantic tricks is that you can get out-tricked, as Con did to Pro.
Vote Placed by kohai 3 years ago
kohai
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Abusive definitions from PRO, poorly debated, and overall a horrific debate. CON refuted PRO's definitions. By the chicken came before the egg it should assume that the egg in question is that of the chickn, as CON points out.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 3 years ago
Ore_Ele
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Abusive definitions. Had Pro posted those definitions in R1, of which Con would have to agree to, then it would be different. However, because definitions were made in R2, Con has every right to challenge, reject, and offer different definitions.
Vote Placed by Calvincambridge 3 years ago
Calvincambridge
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is a sad debate.
Vote Placed by larztheloser 3 years ago
larztheloser
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the right of definition. I think it was clear enough that the definition of egg was not a stadium in pro's contentions. This was confused somewhat by pro's grammar. Con's role, rather than present his own case, was to rebut pro's case. In this he utterly failed. Pro's case lacked analysis but I felt he did fulfill his burden of proof, if only with sources. Both teams should examine their roles and have debates with more rounds.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 3 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: By "the egg", I would assume a chicken's egg, not any egg. This was in fact a semantic argument that Pro used. Points to Con for a good comeback using more semantics and beating Pro at his own game. (see comments)
Vote Placed by Lickdafoot 3 years ago
Lickdafoot
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was very clever here.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 3 years ago
Man-is-good
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: DHDebate used a nice semantic argument, noting that The Egg was founded in 1966, whereas chickens came well before that, through a series of evolutions in prehistory.... Pro loses one point for sources since Con's were more credible (wikianswers, for example, are not considered reliable in my viewpoint)...
Vote Placed by ReformedArsenal 3 years ago
ReformedArsenal
S98-SAMMANDHDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Lame and weak semantic attack from Pro. Con beat him at his own game, and did it with style. His sources were better also.