Mathewk2013
JacobAnderson

What do you think is better, High school or College?

Mathewk2013

Pro

I'm all for college, It gets you closer to success, were to me besides high school being free, it can tend to be drama and receiving a Diploma. College has a bit lighter rules, more freedom and independence with a high paying job in the future,, So what do you think? High school life or college?
JacobAnderson

Con

I would like to start this debate with questions and concerns on your initial statement.

"It gets you closer to success."
What gets you closer to success, you say, is college. But what gets you to college? High school. Therefore both high school and college get you closer to success.

"It (high school) can tend to be drama and receiving a Diploma."
College can also include a lot of drama. There are also costs that you have to pay that you did not have to pay while you were in high school. Sure there are scholarships that can reduce the price, but it will always be thousands of dollars more than what you paid in high school -- nothing; unless you went to a private school.

"College... lighter rules, more freedom and independence with a high paying job in the future."
College does include all of the things you have listed, but that is because it it more preparing you for the real world on a higher level than high school did. You have these freedoms and rules because, usually, people enter college at the age of 18, the age of adulthood. Also, I would like you to look at [1] to show that there are relatively both high and low unemployment rates for college graduates. I say both high and low because it is a low percentage but van make up a great number of people.

[1] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...;
Mathewk2013

Pro

Thank you for your interest in my debate, This is actually for an English assignment.

You have your point on the high school can get you closer to success, because your diploma does get you into college, although, i was told by a Professor, by the time you transfer to your university that your High School GPA doesn't matter.

Next to scholar ships, there is Community Colleges (I'm currently attending) that you can go to that have a Financial aide program, If your doing well in your classes it will be relatively cheaper allowing you to save money for the larger university ,or as you said private school. However, I'm only transferring with a certificate.
"The thousands of dollars more than what you paid in High School" It wont matter if you look for a college that offers a Career Center, They can place you with a career that you can get raises and bonuses along the way on top of your salary, Degrees can help. I hear people telling me this all the time, its just your mind set. Also, If you search on job search engines, That can help too with the right criteria.

For the "Unemployment rate", Yes unemployment rates may be high, but that's usually their fault. The world is what you make it. I found a temporary day job a few weeks after I graduated, You shouldn't listen to what the news tells you about the economy because the way you think can change that your views.

My Brain, Professors, Mindset
JacobAnderson

Con

[1]/[2] show the GPA requirements for Harvard and Baylor University, two well-rated colleges. Also, scholarships do help financially, but you are still paying thousands more, usually, than you do in high school. And, do you know what you need to maintain in order to maintain a scholarship? A good GPA.
Unemployment rates do not lie. I do not mean to offend anyone, but you won't see the typical community college graduate making near as much, or getting a job as quickly as one that graduates from ivy league, prestigious schools.

[1] http://collegeapps.about.com...
Mathewk2013

Pro

Yes that may be true for those universites It appears for Harvard and Baylor you need more than a 2.0 to get accepted, But I'm currently attending a community college so I can save money with a Certifcate of Transfer to a smaller, and cheaper university than most. I'm never basing my life off of unemployment charts, and I dont think others should either. Universities often focus on your Junior year and 1st term (and possible 2nd term) of your Senior year of high school, which I did really well in. Jobs are not hard to find as well, as long as its entry level or an internship either through your career center or a search engine - Internships might be able to pay off most "debts" if there is any with a salary next to the cost of living. Eventually you would work your way up the corpral ladder. Also, Just because there is unemployed people it doesnt mean I or anyone else would have to copy. Life is what you make it.
JacobAnderson

Con

JacobAnderson forfeited this round.
Mathewk2013

Pro

Mathewk2013 forfeited this round.
JacobAnderson

Con

JacobAnderson forfeited this round.