PrincessNene
GarretKadeDupre

What do you think of white's owning slaves back in the days

GarretKadeDupre

PrincessNene

Con

I belive the it was wrong because how can someone just go to a different country and decide to take over everything and every person that lives their and just because they are not white that they are below them and that they are not smart as them,but not knowing later in the future that they would be over powerd and that the slave would beable to go free and live as they wanted with no chains on any other sort of owning.The whites just seens the blacks as animals but still below their pet dogs
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

Thanks for this opportunity to debate; I wish good luck to you in the following rounds.

You haven't specified the resolution, and have been ambiguous in your wording in general, but I infer that we are debating the morality of the issue of slave ownership by white people in colonial times. On this issue, you believe that slave ownership by whites is immoral, and will defend that stance; I, as Con, will argue that was moral.

Please clarify if you are alright with these terms before I present my opening arguments.
PrincessNene

Con

I'm Deff. fine with them, But say I'm saying it I think it is wrong because how would the whites feel if the blacks and other colored people came to their country and tried to take them over and make them do what they would never want to do so I figure that I am kind of making a statement of the slavery days instead of the information that some people would be looking for
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

My apologies, I should have said "I as Pro" not "I as Con." But I think it's understood.

You haven't presented any arguments supporting the resolution we just agreed to, so I have no arguments to refute.

Good luck to you in the next round and I hope you present at least one argument. Audience, please vote for me. Thank you.
PrincessNene

Con

Well i did state an argument
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

I contend you didn't. I am confident the audience will agree with me and vote Pro. Thank you everyone.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
Oh
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Yes, I awarded her "argument" points because her argument--and I established it was an argument in my last comment--was reasonable and uncontested. I awarded you "spelling and grammar" points--or rather the spelling and grammar point--because you articulated yourself better.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
Wait, you gave PrincessNene argument points -.-
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
"Were there better ways to convey her point? Certainly, which is why I awarded you those points."

Oh, I should probably shut up now.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
> A reason is a statement, not a question. Even though she didn't put a question mark, it's STILL a question!

Garett, it was a rhetorical question.

"Rhetorical question - has the direct illocutionary force of a question, and is not generally used with the expectation of an answer but with some different, indirect force, such as.. a tentative statement."

http://www.sil.org...

I do interpret the following as a reason that owning slaves back in the day was wrong -- "because how would the whites feel if the blacks and other colored people came to their country and tried to take them over and make them do what they would never want to do"

Were there better ways to convey her point? Certainly, which is why I awarded you those points.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
likespeace, I think we are talking over each other.

"how would the whites feel if the blacks and other colored people came to their country and tried to take them over and make them do what they would never want to do"

That is what you called her "reason", but it's NOT a reason! A reason is a statement, not a question. Even though she didn't put a question mark, it's STILL a question! Thus, she made no argument there.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Garret - 3/6 voters believed she made an argument. 6/6 believes you were more eloquent. In any event, you won the debate, so good show. :)
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
That "white people" should feel ashamed for what someone with the same skin color did is racist and as ridiculous as claiming you should feel ashamed one of the 9/11 terrorists had your eye color.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
likespeace, that isn't an argument. she does have a premise but its supported with a QUESTION, not a reason...
Posted by Hay 4 years ago
Hay
The white people should be ashamed of themselves for making slaves from the black people and the people of africa
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
PrincessNeneGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: See comments.
Vote Placed by Nobodycares 4 years ago
Nobodycares
PrincessNeneGarretKadeDupreTied
Vote Placed by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
PrincessNeneGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con actually did give some arguments for why she thought slavery was wrong. Pro didn't respond to any of those arguments, so I'm voting for Con. But I'm giving Pro spelling and grammar because Con's spelling and grammar were terrible.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
PrincessNeneGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: lol what the heck is this?!
Vote Placed by Bull_Diesel 4 years ago
Bull_Diesel
PrincessNeneGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO wins for attempting to actually have a debate. Spelling/grammar better Nobody used any sources because there was no actual information given. Miserable debate, I understand wanting to have a casual debate but at least give the opponent something to argue.
Vote Placed by M4sterDeb8er 4 years ago
M4sterDeb8er
PrincessNeneGarretKadeDupreTied
Reasons for voting decision: There were no arguments here, so tie there Conduct to Pro for actually trying to make sense out of the chaos set before him. Spelling also goes to Pro. Winner by default: PRO