Pink1234
dirkson

"What does the Bible say about sex before marriage?"

dirkson

Pink1234

Con

There is no Hebrew or Greek word used in the Bible that precisely refers to sex before marriage. The Bible undeniably condemns adultery and sexual immorality, but is sex before marriage considered sexually immoral? According to 1 Corinthians 7:2, "yes" is the clear answer: "But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband." In this verse, Paul states that marriage is the "cure" for sexual immorality. First Corinthians 7:2 is essentially saying that, because people cannot control themselves and so many are having immoral sex outside of marriage, people should get married. Then they can fulfill their passions in a moral way.

Since 1 Corinthians 7:2 clearly includes sex before marriage in the definition of sexual immorality, all of the Bible verses that condemn sexual immorality as being sinful also condemn sex before marriage as sinful. Sex before marriage is included in the biblical definition of sexual immorality. There are numerous Scriptures that declare sex before marriage to be a sin (Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 5:1; 6:13, 18; 10:8; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Jude 7). The Bible promotes complete abstinence before marriage. Sex between a husband and his wife is the only form of sexual relations of which God approves (Hebrews 13:4).

Far too often we focus on the "recreation" aspect of sex without recognizing that there is another aspect—procreation. Sex within marriage is pleasurable, and God designed it that way. God wants men and women to enjoy sexual activity within the confines of marriage. Song of Solomon and several other Bible passages (such as Proverbs 5:19) clearly describe the pleasure of sex. However, the couple must understand that God's intent for sex includes producing children. Thus, for a couple to engage in sex before marriage is doubly wrong—they are enjoying pleasures not intended for them, and they are taking a chance of creating a human life outside of the family structure God intended for every child.

While practicality does not determine right from wrong, if the Bible's message on sex before marriage were obeyed, there would be far fewer sexually transmitted diseases, far fewer abortions, far fewer unwed mothers and unwanted pregnancies, and far fewer children growing up without both parents in their lives. Abstinence is God's only policy when it comes to sex before marriage. Abstinence saves lives, protects babies, gives sexual relations the proper value, and, most importantly, honors God.
dirkson

Pro

First off, kudos to my opponent for having come up with such a unique and interesting argument, all on his own! Well, I'll just google the topic to get some information before I start. There we go! And the first result is:

http://www.gotquestions.org...

Oh. That's pretty similar, isn't it? Word for word, actually.

Umm... Moving right along...

1. Bible

1 Corinthians 7:2 - "But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband."

This is a fascinatingly ambiguous passage to base so much on! First off, it doesn't exactly /define/ sexual immorality, it merely has us infer that, whatever sexual immorality is occurring, marrying someone of the opposite gender AND having sex with them would cure it.

Now I don't know about you, but I can imagine several things that getting married and having frequent sex would change. Perhaps it meant sex with animals. Perhaps it meant sex without procreation. Perhaps it merely meant being inflamed with desire!

Clearly we need more information - Let's look through the rest of the bible and see if we can find examples of sex outside of marriage.

In fact, let's march right up and see what the Bible's proclaimed "Wisest man who ever lived" has to say on the subject! 1 Kings 11:1-3 says that King Solomon had over 700 wives and 300 concubines. Wise AND good with the ladies. Wow!

(Aside: If the bible does indeed enforce no sex outside of marriage, Solomon seems to have found a fascinating loophole - Just marry everyone you want to have sex with! Wisest man indeed!)

300 concubines? Why, the very definition of those is people you have sex with outside of marriage!

"Wait!", I hear you saying, "Concubines back then were REALLY wives." Well, let's see what the bible has to say about that!

Leviticus 20:10 and Deutenomy 22:22 proscribe a pretty hefty penalty for having sex with another man's wife. Everyone involved it put to death!

So if "concubine" means "wife", when people in the bible sleep with concubines, (2 Samuel 3:7, 2 Samuel 16:22, Judges 19:2) we should expect to see them put to death. But we see no such thing.

2. Nature.

So the bible is... confused, at best, about sex outside of marriage. Let's turn instead to the universe that God has designed, and our place in it.

As my opponent ('s article) so rightly states, sex inside marriage feels great! Actually, sex outside marriage feels great too! And sex with animals feels-... Let's stop this line of thinking now, shall we?

My opponent goes on to speak of sex's role in creating new humans. Assuming this is desirable, (Has my opponent looked out his window lately? We have enough humans.) sex is certainly efficient at the task. However, my opponent's fear of creating life outside of wedlock are vastly overstated - With the effectiveness of modern condoms, IUDs, sterilization procedures, the pill, the morning after pill, and other non-abortive contraceptive measures, this is vanishingly unlikely. I encourage my opponent to research and/or try any of these methods he feels is appropriate!

Also, if God's intent for sex is to produce children, and his intent for marriage is for husband and wife to have sex, we have to come to the uncomfortable conclusion that infertile couples getting married is a sin.

3. Conclusion

Both the bible and Nature seem terribly confused on the intended purpose and scope of sex, almost as if there were no guiding force at all. Lacking any clear cut definition of right and wrong in this situation, I encourage Christians and non-Christians alike to engage in healthy, safe, and fun sex with the contraception and STD protection of their choice.

I'll bring the whipped cream and riding crops.

Cheers,
-Dirk
Pink1234

Con

My debate is "What does the Bible say about sex before marriage?" The real question is do you agree or disagree with "What does the Bible say about sex before marriage?" I agree. And Dirk, I will not argue with you on this subject. Why do you ask?

World English Dictionary
immature (ˌɪməˈtjʊə, -ˈtʃʊə)
adj
1. not fully grown or developed
2. deficient in maturity; lacking wisdom, insight, emotionalstability, etc
3. geography a less common term for youthful
And yes, that also was a copy and paste right out of the World English Dictionary. Look that up, you may find your name beside of it! ;)
dirkson

Pro

Topic Change

My opponent asserts that the "real question" is whether or not I agree or disagree with what the bible says about sex before marriage. Clearly, this is silly, as the debate's question is clear for everyone to see!

However, even if we accept this sudden topic change, I have already shown that the bible is ambiguous at best about sex before marriage. Therefore, any opinion I had could be equally said to agree or disagree with what the book says, rendering the question absurd!

Dirkson is in the dictionary

My opponent has been so kind as to post the very entry she contests that my name is associated with. Sadly for my hopes of dictionary-immortality, my name is not present.

My opponent has not contested a single point I made in my opening arguments and has stated that she will not argue with me on the subject. If that's not a resignation, I don't know what a resignation looks like!

Vote con!

Cheers,
-Dirk
Pink1234

Con

Pink1234 forfeited this round.
dirkson

Pro

And a forfeited round!

Vote con!

Cheers,
-Dirk
Posted by dirkson 4 years ago
dirkson
@Innomen - The "Report this comment" button next to your comment has never looked more tempting ;)

I suspect the reporting is just due to the plagiarism, which we've already chatted about : )

I did mistake Pink's gender, but that was an honest mistake and not an insult.

Cheers,
-Dirk
Posted by innomen 4 years ago
innomen
Lots of reports on this debate from both sides.
Posted by dirkson 4 years ago
dirkson
"Vote con!" I say... Not even noticing that this debate is the reverse of normal, and I am actually pro.

This is a comedy of errors :D

Cheers!
-Dirk
Posted by dirkson 4 years ago
dirkson
Although I stuck my discovery at the start of my response, I actually didn't notice you had copy-pasted until midway through writing my response.

I find it curious that you misrepresented the article as having been written by you. Didn't your book have something in it about misrepresentation, or false witness, or something like that? Oh well, I suppose you'd know better than I.

Sorry about getting your gender wrong; I shouldn't have assumed!

Cheers,
-Dirk
Posted by Pink1234 4 years ago
Pink1234
Aye, the site is either word-for-word or nearly word for word Pink's argument.

I have to admit, I went a little more tongue-in-cheek once I noticed that, but I still think I made some respectable points for as uphill a battle as this is : )

Okay...you passed my test. Copy and paste...I wanted to see if you would check it out...and see if you are really ready to take me on...and yes...if female ;)
Posted by dirkson 4 years ago
dirkson

-Dirk
Posted by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
*peruses the website given* Hmmm...you may be correct.

Also, I was about to mention that Pink is actually female. lol
Posted by dirkson 4 years ago
dirkson
Upon further reflection, Pink1234 may not be a sir, as her gender is "female".

I accept your challenge, /miss/! : )

-Dirk
Posted by dirkson 4 years ago
dirkson
I accept your challenge sir!

I presume the first round is valid here, so I'll jump right in.

Cheers,
-Dirk
Posted by TheOrator 4 years ago
TheOrator
Is your debate about "what does the Bible say about sex before marriage", or "What the Bible says about sex before marriage is correct"? because it looks like you're leaning towards teh later more than the former.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 4 years ago
Man-is-good
Pink1234dirksonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con plagiarized and moved the argument to other orbits--designating his opponent as "immature". Pro's arguments, while not the strongest, were actually original and thus stand, especially if Con did nothing to make an original argument or refute his opponent's case.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Pink1234dirksonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con plagiarized their entire case and went on to forfeit the remainder of the debate. All points to Pro.