EADaniel
Kinesis

What goes first: The Milk or the Cereal?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

EADaniel

Pro

Alright, to start off the debate I will first explain the reason behind it. Me and one of my best friends been debating whether A: The milk goes first into the bowl, then the cereal follows, B: The cereal goes into the bowl first, hence the Milk is put in the bowl second. I will be supporting point "B", that the cereal comes first. My opponent will have to support point "A" that the milk goes first into the bowl. This is my first debate so don't blame me if the setup is a bit weird lol.
Kinesis

Con

I thank EADaniel for the opportunity to debate. This may well be the most impossible task ever undertaken by a human being - to defend the position that milk should be put in BEFORE cereal. Is this momentous task above myself? Undoubtedly, but I shall forge into the mouth of hell nonetheless, undaunted by my impossible quest.

Argument 1: Are You a damned Conformist?

History swarms with examples of people taking as a given the wisdom of the society they were brought up in. It was common knowledge at one time that blacks were inferior human beings - before their emacipation and the campaign for their equality, most people, like sheep, and even many of the downtrodden coloured folk themselves, agreed that the proper place was for whites at the top and blacks beneath them. People, at one time, thought that heavier objects fell faster than lighter ones - that a metal ball, if thrown from a height, would fall faster than a wooden one. This was common knowledge until experimentation proved otherwise. People, even the disadvanteged themselves, accepted merely because everyone did, injustice and ignorance.

Now personally, I have never met another human being who pours in milk before they pour in cereal - and that includes myself. If I had to hazard an estimation, I would guess that the vast majority of human being with regular access to both milk and cereal do indeed pour the cereal in, then the milk. However I must say, tomorrow morning I intend to pour in milk and then cereal and conformity damned, I don't care if anyone regards it as the incorrect way of doing it! Because the instigation of this debate has made me realise that just as people assumed falsehoods about physics, assumed injustices as a matter of course, I and most probably the reader of the this debate has assumed that the correct way to do breakfast is the pour the cereal in first.

Well, go ahead. Do things the 'correct way', just as the fools and slave owners of the past did. Or, alternatively, recognise that breaking conformity, shaking the 'correct' way of doing things is a good thing, and tomorrow pour your damn milk in first, and then your cereal, and then log in to DDO and vote CON in this debate!

Argument 2: Culinery Variety.

Pouring the cereal in first, and then the milk ensures general uniformity across the cereal. The whole lot will be doused and turn soggy. On the other hand, if one pours in the milk first, the top layer of cereal is likely to remain crunchy while the bottom layer absorbs the milk. This provides contrast, and does something to combat the general boredom of eating cereal which is general uniform all the way through - except by becoming more soggy, the first bite is likely to taste much like the last if one eats cereal the standard way. By reversing the order of pouring, one can shake up the normal routine of dreary uniformity permeating cereal.

Argument 3: Milk by Degrees

One need not pour milk in, then pour ALL the cereal in - rather, one can pour a small amount of milk in, pour the cereal in and then pour the rest of the milk in. This would satisfy the criterion put forth in the first round, but would most likely suffer none of the disadvantages Pro will put forth in the following round. Furthermore, it would have the advantage of being a more varied, interesting way to prepare one's breakfast than the normal way.

EADaniel

Pro

Your welcome Kinesis, I would like to thank you for being my first ever debate on this awesome website.
Alright so lets get started.

I would first like us all (kinesis and voters) to take a inspection on the word that my opponent willingly called Not only I,
but every other person in the entire world; who instinctively puts their cereal before milk.

This word that my opponent defined us by was "Conformist".

Definition of an Conformist-(of a person of activity) Conforming to accepted behavior or established practices.
(Definition given by google, Define:Conformist).

Last time I checked putting cereal or milk first into a bowl was not an "established practice".

"Pouring the cereal in first, and then the milk ensures general uniformity across the cereal. The whole lot will be doused and turn soggy".
I'm sure that is correct, but do not forget that a lot of don't wait till the cereal turns soggy.
I can certainly speak for my Cereal comes first people, by saying we eat our cereal before it gets soggy.
Putting the cereal first, then the milk allows more of the cereal to get wet. Besides, the goal
of putting the milk in the bowl overall is to get the cereal moist as much as possible.
If you wanted your very crunchy cereal, eating the cereal out the box would be more efficient for your
dilemma.

"One need not pour milk in, then pour ALL the cereal in - rather, one can pour a small amount of milk in,
pour the cereal in and then pour the rest of the milk in".

As hard working citizens of this great world of earth, we take advantage of the fact that cereal is a quick and easy meal for anytime of the day.
Following the process my opponent so kindly gave us, just unnecessarily makes a quick snack tedious.

I thank my opponent for a great debate and I thank the voters for voting whom ever they agree with the most.
Pro or Con. I look forward to what my opponent will say next.
Kinesis

Con

It would be unfair to post another full round considering Pro had only one round; I leave it up to the voters as to whether his counterpoints successfully defeated my arguments. However, I feel that voters should vote for myself regardless considering Pro really hasn't provided any positive arguments, and he was the instigator and Pro.

Into the voting.
Posted by syrjasam 5 years ago
syrjasam
I think it does matter. If you put the cereal in first you get more cereal in the bowl
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
I wish I had a bowl of cereal when I was reading this debate. Time to go to the grocery store and get one.
Posted by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
i had to eat a bowl of cereal while reading this debate..
Posted by Sketchy 5 years ago
Sketchy
Now I'm hungry for cereal...:/ Store-brand apple jacks anyone?
Posted by EADaniel 5 years ago
EADaniel
Lol, Kinesis I didn't take anyone who commented opinion into consideration during my turn to respond. Btw, your up again! Lol, quaterexchange you seem very passionate about cereal. Maybe you should take the time to write a book called "Cereal for dummies".
Posted by Contra 5 years ago
Contra
If you do not want your cereal to become wet, you don't put cereal on it. If we didn't want "soggy" cereal we would not put anything on it, we would eat it out of the bag. Besides, I think soggy cereal tastes good :)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
I really want to answer Lickdafoot, quarterexchange and sketchy but I will do that once this debate is in the voting period so as to be fair and not supply the debaters with arguments. I understand that the debates is supposed in be in the rounds, not the comments section.
Posted by Kinesis 5 years ago
Kinesis
Stop giving him arguments!
Posted by Lickdafoot 5 years ago
Lickdafoot
@f-16, found something else we disagree on :P I've tried both techniques. I always get splashed if i try pouring the cereal onto the milk... plus it just ~feels weird~ that way! and what about the nice crackly sound of the milk pouring over the cereal?
Posted by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
"I feel that whether you put the cereal or the milk first doesn't matter."

It DOES matter Damnit!! *Slams fist on table*

Either you believe cereal goes in the bowl first followed by the milk or you're a Nazi attempting to undermine the moral structure of mankind.

First it's putting the milk in before the cereal, then it's becoming addicted to heroin, then it's engaging in the child sex trade and then it's global imperial facism. I don't see anyone can ignore this destructive trend that is so apparant.
Vote Placed by Altilongitude 4 years ago
Altilongitude
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Don't buy the conformist nor the milk in degrees argument. The variety argument is interesting. EADaniel seems to argue for the more moist option. Both the variety and totally moist options are valid and it seem to come down to personal preference.
Vote Placed by Contra 5 years ago
Contra
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with Con's points but I like my cereal soggy
Vote Placed by bluesteel 5 years ago
bluesteel
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro doesn't offer much of his own points and fails to refute Con's point 2 adequately. Pro should have argued that it's impossible to judge how much cereal you put in second, since a lot of brands of cereal float.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: kinesises point 2 got it for me. pouring the milk in first bypasses the problem of getting the whole lot soggy.
Vote Placed by Double_R 5 years ago
Double_R
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con tried, but his burden was too great. In the end Pros refutations upheld his resolution.
Vote Placed by darkkermit 5 years ago
darkkermit
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: CON demonstrates that pouring the milk first makes the cereal less boring. Also PRO uses "me and my best friend" when it should be "My best friend and I", so he loses grammar points.
Vote Placed by Sketchy 5 years ago
Sketchy
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were...interesting. Conformity isn't really a good argument, and neither were the others. I was going to give Pro the sources, but then I realized that he only had once source, and that was google. I tried as hard as I could to avoid bias, but I feel VERY strongly on this issue.
Vote Placed by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: personally i believe that both sides made excellent arguments; however i do believe that pro's case surpasses cons case.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
EADanielKinesisTied
Reasons for voting decision: I may be biased toward Con's side but I looked at the arguments impartially to see which side argued better. Pro says that if you wanted crunchy cereal, you could eat it straight out of the box. This doesn't adequately answer Con's strongest contention which was that people may want variety in their cereal with the top layer being crunchier than the bottom. Since the burden of proof is on Pro, Con wins arguments.