ArhangheluDanyel
Progressivist

What happened to real musicians? Is music industry killing music?

Started: 1/22/2014 Category: Arts

ArhangheluDanyel

Pro

Nowadays music it's not made by the artist. Now "the artist" just performs the songs that the hired producers and composers make. What happened to the period where every single genre was real music? When artists were artist, even though they were helped by others. I think that the only genres that still live (artistically talking) are most of rock music, jazz, blues, rap, and ethnic music. Most of rock music, jazz, blues, and ethnic music still has instruments and the artists do their own work most of the time. Most of rock, jazz, blues and most of Asian ethnic music take a lost of time to master. You cannot go into it and after an year of practicing you cannot make an album. It takes time to develop skill at that instrument. Another thing it's that you talk about notes, tabs, measures and synchronization. These genres need a structure, even though the structure it's simple/complicated/extreme/easy. The thing with rap it's that its message means everything. It only takes a simple beat but it needs a good message. And to be a rap artist you need to do the lyrics yourself. In rap you talk about measure, synchronization and practice too. All of these genres are hard to play. Not anybody can play them. I can play drums and hardly rap, so as a musician I can relate how hard it is. Now after 3 years of practicing drums it's easy for me. Nowadays music like electro (and when I mean "electro" I mean everything from disco to dubstep) and pop (and when I mean "pop" I mean all of those popular genres) it's easy to make. After an year of learning music making programs it will be easy to make beats and if you don't have a voice for music, there's no problem, you can use auto-tune or the computer. Music making it's an art, and as an art not everybody can do it. Not anybody can paint, act, be an architect or write books. It comes with a skill you've gained since birth. There are some electronic artists but these artists are in the obscure part of music which I will be discussing later. Know we are focusing on mainstream. These are examples of music (in my opinion):
(Animals As Leaders)
(Rush)
(Wu Tang Clan)
(Death)
(Cynic)
(Lard Free)
Progressivist

Con

Music
music |G2;myoV2;ozik| noun
1 vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion: couples were dancing to the music | baroque music.
" the art or science of composing or performing music: he devoted his life to music.
" a sound perceived as pleasingly harmonious: the background music of softly lapping water.

I would argue that just because modern music (although I'm no big fan of it) fails to suit your "criteria" or musical standards, does not signify that the music industry is "killing music".

Music does not have to be written by the artist. That's why the musician is called the "musician" and a writer is called "a writer".

Is a trumpet player not a true musician if the music they play is written by a composer?
Then why is it any different than a vocalist doing the same?

As long as it is sounds created with a rhythm, it's still music and nothing's killing it.
ArhangheluDanyel

Pro

I'm rather talking about the artist himself. The one who does all the work for his music. When I listen to a song or go to a concert I'd like to enjoy the band's or artist's music that was made by them. In my opinion, the guys who write the songs nowadays for "the artists" should get more credit and that "artist" should get less. Another thing that makes me sick is that the industry makes music a business, not an art. I cannot, truly, consider Shakira, Madonna, Lil. Wayne or Dr. Dre art. Why? Because the music is made by others and they play for money. Where is the passion for music? That's why I used the term of "music industry killing". There are artists that belong to big labels but stay true to their music and to their fans and to their art. And there is the avant-garde and underground side of music that is just amazing because most of the artists there are weird, godlike and very smart.
Progressivist

Con

Progressivist forfeited this round.
ArhangheluDanyel

Pro

ArhangheluDanyel forfeited this round.
Progressivist

Con

Progressivist forfeited this round.