Sarvara
ZenithOfPi

What if the purchasing age of tobacoo would be raised to twenty one?

Sarvara

Pro

Smoking is a choice, albeit not a favorable or beneficial one. The person lights the cigarette without anyone holding a gun to his or her head. Smoking is usually discussed by non-smokers far more often than those who smoke, I believe that this is due to the fact that smokers feel they already know everything that there is to know about smoking. After all they are taking part in this ritual daily; this is why I felt that it was important to enlighten others of how a sixteen year smoker feels about cigarettes. Through my research I learned that smoking is an extremely powerful drug, which many have lost the war to. Seeing the sheer volume of capital surrounding cigarettes made me nauseous. I came to the realization that there would never come a day where cigarettes would be completely outlawed. However I found a compromise, what if we would up the age that cigarettes would be allowed to be purchased to twenty-one? I believe that this will not end the tobacco dependence; however it may help young people from starting during their teen years when they are so vulnerable in every way trying to fit in. I found an abundant amount of information in regards to why cigarettes are terrible yet I also found that tobacco was one of the first and longest lasting industries of our American history.
ZenithOfPi

Con

Hello.
First of all, since the topic is a question and not a prompt, I would like to rephrase it. Instead of "What if the purchasing age of tobacoo would be raised to twenty one?" I will debate the topic "The purchasing age of tobacco should be raised to twenty one." Thus, I negate that the purchasing age of tobacco be raised to twenty-one.

According to the FDA, the process of a seller selling tobacco is as follows:
Check photo ID of everyone appearing under age 27 who attempts to purchase cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, or smokeless tobacco.
Only sell cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, and smokeless tobacco to anyone age 18 or older. **
Only sell cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, and smokeless tobacco in a direct, face-to-face exchange. ***
Clearly, this can be easily bypassed by having someone older than 18 to buy tobacco for you. If the limit was raised to twenty-one, then that would not change anything. Tobacco is bad; however, the law can only do so much. In the end, its the choice of the buyer and his/her family and friends. My opponent himself said that "Smoking is a choice, albeit not a favorable or beneficial one. The person lights the cigarette without anyone holding a gun to his or her head." It supports my argument. If the buyer really wants to get tobacco, it is possible. How hard is it to get an old buddy to stroll into a store, flash an ID, and buy a pack of cigarettes for you?

According to Tobacco-free Kids, nearly half of adult smokers become daily smokers before age 18. Raising the purchasing age, therefore, would do NOTHING to prevent tobacco from getting in the hands of minors.

Most of my opponents arguments are centered around one point: that raising the age may prevent young people from starting during their teen years. However, the most potent way to prevent that is support from family and friends, not restrictions placed by law. All my arguments have completely refuted his central stem argument, and therefore all the rest of his arguments.

In short, tobacco purchasing age laws are easily circumvented and increasing their amplitude would not help; also, nearly half of adult smokers start before age 18, which is the current purchasing age. Thus, raising the age to 21 would not help. The best way to keep young people from starting bad smoking and tobacco use habits is support from family and friends.

For all these reasons, I urge a NEGATIVE vote for this debate.
Sarvara

Pro

Sarvara forfeited this round.
ZenithOfPi

Con

ZenithOfPi forfeited this round.
Sarvara

Pro

Sarvara forfeited this round.
ZenithOfPi

Con

ZenithOfPi forfeited this round.