alexatsjs
safebug

What is a lie? and When is it ok to lie?

alexatsjs

Pro

Round 1:

I believe that it is not ok to lie but you may withhold information from a certain person.

One good example is if: you are eating dinner and someone asked you what did you do today. Replying by saying "I went to school and did some homework", when you really did that and played video games that is called a lie. While if you say "not much" that isn't called lying because you are just withholding information.

Another good example is if we go to a political view and talk about the White House Press Secretary, and when he/her is the press room. When he would get a question about a certain topic and the president had early told him about not commenting on it earlier. If the press secretary says that they don't know know about, that would be considered a lie. Or he says that the President does not wish to comment that would be called withholding information which is ok.

alexatsjs
safebug

Con

I say that lying would be ok if it were a) life or death or b) getting you out of trouble but not putting blame or harming others.

a) If an officer back in the day asked you if you killed the person (let's say this this officer is nice and will take your word for it) and you did, but you reply "no", you escape with your life. even though you are not claiming the blame for your actions, and it is now not fair to the murdered victim, escaping with your life could give you the chance you need to go and kill Hitler in a surprise attack. All those people who could have.....

B) If your teachers asks you if you broke your pencil, and you did because you were showing off how "strong" you are, and you reply with "yes, i accidentally stepped on it", then you are still taking the blame but yet you get out of trouble and no harm was done to anyone.

There is my argument as to why lying can be justified in certain circumstances. I know my first example wasn't very good but that's the best i can do with the time that I have.
alexatsjs

Pro

Round 2:

I still fully believe that you have no right to lie about anything. For your first argument I want to make sure you understand what you are saying. Basically what you just said was that if you commit a murder and you say you didn't that's ok. Also this is another note that I would like you to keep in your mind which is that there is some things that you never mention in a debate and they are Jesus, Hitler, and Abortion. You just mentioned one of them in a context that can be really offensive to some people.

Now again for your second point I think you are wrong again because you strait out lied to your teacher and you may have to spend many more years with her. Also what would happen if another kid told the teacher that you did on purpose you would be in a lot of trouble. So in this case I also believe that you are wrong.

Now to just to finish backing up my argument in round two I am just going to say everything I said in round one and good luck.

alexatsjs
safebug

Con

safebug forfeited this round.
alexatsjs

Pro

alexatsjs forfeited this round.
safebug

Con

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by mentioning Hitler.

However, I do think the lying is ok if you stretch the truth or give some of the truth. For example if you ate the last price of pizza and someone was going to get you in trouble for it you could say to them that you had indeed eaten the pizza, just not the last price. This would be fine if there was a price of cheese or topping left in the box. Then you wouldn't have eaten the very last price and it would be just stretching the truth which is fine.

BTW, throwing or breaking a pencil would not get you many more years with a teacher. Even if you lied about doing it. If you only lied that one time, you would be fine. I've done worse and I'm a year ahead in school. :P
alexatsjs

Pro

alexatsjs forfeited this round.
safebug

Con

safebug forfeited this round.
alexatsjs

Pro

alexatsjs forfeited this round.
safebug

Con

safebug forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 4 years ago
Chrysippus
alexatsjssafebugTied
Reasons for voting decision: What a terrible debate. The main issues are completely untouched by either side; the majority of the rounds were forfeited, and nothing was accomplished. No-one wins anything.