spankme
CatholicLiberalLady

What is feminism?

spankme

Pro

Asking this question because it strange when people keep telling you are something, and you're not sure what it is! I have been called a feminist a few times (not always happily), but I don't know what that means!

The only thing I notice different about me is I notice things other people don't seem to notice, and have the attitude that I don't need anyone's help. Does that make me a feminist? I don't understand why other women don't feel the same way and see the same things I see.

This is what I think the problem is. Women and men have a different relationship between each other than blacks and whites. There can be no perfect equality. All we need is mutual respect for each other. And women will not get that respect from men until they start respecting themselves.
CatholicLiberalLady

Con

Feminism is the movement that says women are equal to men, as are men and women of color, of different backgrounds and races, and people of different ideals and religions. You saying that women need to do something to be respected is quite ridiculous. You should respect everyone because they are living, walking, talking, human beings just like you that deserve respect.
spankme

Pro

Other minorities seem to support each other more than women do in my opinion. Blacks take pride in other Black's accomplishments. Women don't seem to do that. Women seem to compete against each other more than support each other. If that were not the case it would not be commonplace for us to paid less than men for the same job. Can you imagine the outcry if that happened to any other group?

I read an interview with a defense lawyer, who was asked that if he was defending a rapist, would he rather have the jury filled with men or women. He said definitely women, because they are more likely to find reasons the victim brought it on herself. In that way the female jurors can rest assured that it won't happen to them, since they would never do this or that.

I also saw an interview for the first woman jockey, who was asked how she would compete against another female jockey. She said she would compete twice as hard against the female than the men. Why?

Point I am trying to make is, other minorities are forces to be reckoned with because they are united. I wish women were more like them as a group. I wish we could get angry, I wish we could demand, boycott, show solidarity. But we are too concerned about how men see us. That is what I meant about the relationship between men and women being different than that between other races etc.

You have to demand respect to get respect. Not just for yourself, but for others. Even if it makes you seem less attractive and intimidating to some men. "Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Thatcher Urlich
CatholicLiberalLady

Con

CatholicLiberalLady forfeited this round.
spankme

Pro

spankme forfeited this round.
CatholicLiberalLady

Con

Posted by Diirez 3 years ago
Diirez
There should be an equality movement instead of feminism.
Posted by Bullish 3 years ago
Bullish
My understanding of a feminist is a person who openly and explicitly advocates the rights and status of women. It may vary in degree ranging from "equal", "affirmative action", to "female superiority" and "men should bow to women", depending on the context.

What exactly do you want to debate?