corky5678
AlexanderOc

What is the meaning of life?

corky5678

Pro

What is the meaning of life?

We are part of the universe. We are stardust. Therefore the universe is aware and observing itself as us. What we observe is billions of stars. Since we are stardust, stars are evidence of other life. Based on the past, we should be even more aware of ourselves as the future unfolds.

Our consciousness is like the programs on a computer. If you destroy the computer the programs are no longer running and the memory is destroyed. Can future technology allow us to move our consciousness without losing the memory? Theoretically, our bodies replace practically every cell every 7 to 10 years. So we moved to a new body already!

Is human existence all natural, or is there something magical or supernatural about us? If we are a supernatural creation then should seek to know what religion is true and what facts we are basing that on. If humanity is natural then we should seek to know more about science. So far science has found no evidence of supernaturalism.

Since we are a conscious part of the universe, the meaning of life is whatever we want it to be. It is our choice to love and cherish everything, survive as long as we can and be happy. It is all natural.
AlexanderOc

Con

If you look back on how humans first came into existence, this topic becomes quite easy to answer.
First of all, when life was beginning to pop up around are planet, it did so with the sole purpose of reproducing. The first strands of Nucleotides and Ribonucleic Acid started forming in the Earth's chemical-rich atmosphere. In order for these simple compounds to become more than some inanimate object, thy needed to start making more of themselves. Fast-forward to current humans. Our life isn't all different from those molecular chemicals. Our lives revolve around surviving long enough to reproduce. Looking at human behavior, it can show that our "pleasurable feelings" come from things like socializing with people (like potential mate), Eating high-calorie food ( to keep us alive longer), Overcoming difficult tasks (to survive), and the most pleasurable of all... sex. It only takes a little observation to realize that our bodies were designed to favor things that get us laid. If it didn't there wouldn't be an "us"! The people who didn't develop these mating tricks most likely never had kids to carry on this trait.
The point of this lesson on evolution is to show that if you're looking for a meaning in life, you must first look at what life is trying to achieve and how. Seeing as humans and any other living matter exhibits the goal of producing offspring, it becomes obvious that that is our meaning.
corky5678

Pro

corky5678 forfeited this round.
AlexanderOc

Con

My opponent has made no argument and therefore, my points still stand.
corky5678

Pro

corky5678 forfeited this round.
AlexanderOc

Con

If my opponent doesn't respond, this debate is a lost cause...
corky5678

Pro

corky5678 forfeited this round.
AlexanderOc

Con

AlexanderOc forfeited this round.
corky5678

Pro

corky5678 forfeited this round.
AlexanderOc

Con

AlexanderOc forfeited this round.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
hey Corky, you could still just oppose Con for the sake of opposing, my best friend at uni used to do that, we'd deliberately start an argument or a debate in the uni canteen about anything, or mostly nothing, It was funny to see others suddenly jump into the argument and take sides.
Some would get aggravated and even some clenched fists when the argument was essentially about nothing, and when we thought there was enough in the argument, we'd just suddenly agree with each other's point of view or change the subject.
It would leave those who jumped in confused and bewildered.
But, it was fun.
Posted by corky5678 2 years ago
corky5678
I'm still here. I agree with the "con" statement that one of the meanings of life is to reproduce. But since we are about to think, the meaning of life can be more then that . The meaning of life is still whatever we want it to be. Life just is. Let's make it good! No hocus pokus. No made up stories.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
I was just getting into Pro's argument and he disappeared. Bugger!
Posted by corky5678 2 years ago
corky5678
I know I am the same soul because I have personally seen my body change throughout the years.
Posted by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
I think any debate on the meaning of life ought to begin with the meaning of the question. This sort of debate can attract trolls who responding by interpreting "meaning" as "definition," then arguing the definition of life from the dictionary or from a biology text book.
Posted by ZebramZee 2 years ago
ZebramZee
How do you know you are the same soul. If memories are stored in physical form, aka the brain, you may think you experienced something, but it was actually the creature who's brain you inherited who actually experienced it. That is just as likely, if not more so an explanation.
Posted by corky5678 2 years ago
corky5678
We are the same "soul" but our bodies are different.

Hitler just made wrong choices to get along with each other and be happy. We all should think and learn from each other.
Posted by ZebramZee 2 years ago
ZebramZee
"It is our choice to love and cherish everything, survive as long as we can and be happy. It is all natural."

Sure, and Hitler's wish to rule the world is natural as well. If someone wants to hate everything and everyone, that is their choice as well. Why is your choice more valuable than theirs?
Posted by ZebramZee 2 years ago
ZebramZee
"So we moved to a new body already!"

Why do you assume this? The simpler and thus more likely answer until evidence is provided is that we are actually destroyed every 7-10 years as you calculated it and there is some other being who will be walking around with our memories in the future.
Posted by corky5678 2 years ago
corky5678
Please don't be silent. Please let me know what is wrong with what I said. I'm very open minded!!