TomSmith
AxeCop427

What is the most important subjectin school?

TomSmith

Pro

Which subject will prevail?
AxeCop427

Con

You're on! I will debate that English (literature) is the most important subject.
TomSmith

Pro

Mathematics is the much much much more important than Literature. Face it, mathematics is surrounding us. You simply cannot escape from it. Everytime you go to the store and buy something, you use mathematics. You dont just hand the cashier all of your money and say "that should be enough". If you did that all the time, youre either Bill Gates, or going to be living on the streets. Speaking of Bill Gates, he didnt get to where he is now with just his trusty copy of shakespeare and a pocket dictionary. The operating systems on computers are completely mathematically based. In fact without math, none of our gizmos, or iPods, or computers would exist. As a whole, we simply cannot function without mathematics.
AxeCop427

Con

Interesting points, but while were talking about society, society as we know it also cannot exist without literature. Literature is what shapres our culture, makes us human. What would the greeks be without The Illiad or The Oddysey? What would middle ages Europe be without The Holy Bible? Or the Muslim nations without the Quaran? Literature can have serious effect on culture, even today with all the harry potter fans and twilight (ewww) crazy people.
TomSmith

Pro

I am not doubting the fact that literature can have inluence over culture, but literature doesnt carry the same weight as mathematics in our day to day lives. A world without literature would not be a culturally diverse place and society wouldnt be as lively and interesting, I will give you that. But a world without mathematics would be akin to the stone age. BEFORE the wheel was invented. I will make a statement as bold as all technological innovations are mathematically based and I guarantee you will not be able to find one that isn't.
AxeCop427

Con

Much of what you know, you learned from reading. Reading (along with writing) is a very important skill and without it,we would not have records of the past. History tends to repeat itself and if there isnt records of it written down somewhere. Literature is the only thing keeping another Hitler from gaining power because records of him have been written down for future generations to read. Knowlege is power and literature records knowlege and immortalizes it forever.
TomSmith

Pro

That is a pretty shaky argument you have there. In the beginning you were debating the significance of literature and your round 3 argument sounds dangerously close to history. You are talking about recording facts for future generations, that's history in a nutshell (Furthermore, you even said yourself "history repeats itself"). Continuing on my previous arguments on the applications of math, I will add a few more. Finance and accounting, pretty self explanatory why they involve math but they are nonetheless very important. Engineering is an interesting mathematical field to consider. Engineers are absolutely essential to the technological advancement of our society and are the backbone of our infrastructure. Anything that moves, from cars to planes to trains and boats, were designed by engineers. Our roads, bridges, tunnels, buildings, houses, the list goes on- were designed by engineers. An engineering job of any sort, whether it be electrical engineer to aeronautical engineer, is HUGELY based upon mathematics. Just so we are clear, I am not saying that literature is not important, I am saying that mathematics is the most important subject (which is the whole point of the debate in the first place).
AxeCop427

Con

...I think im going to have to back down from this one... I quit
TomSmith

Pro

TomSmith forfeited this round.
AxeCop427

Con

AxeCop427 forfeited this round.