Beed1984
9spaceking

What is the point in life?

9spaceking

Beed1984

Con

What is the point in anything? I ask myself this as I suffer from depression but even on good days I wonder this, as I have never wanted a "normal" life, to have children or get married etc. I just don't know why...

No religious answers please.
9spaceking

Pro

The point in life depends on what you wish to do. If you see nothing in life, then your point is to die, because you hate life. In contrast, if you love life, you spend it wisely--going to sports, marrying a beautiful woman, impressing your boss in your job..... Or maybe you feel neutral, so you just want to keep yourself alive. So you earn a job in order to obtain money so as to earn your housing and food fair and square, and although lonely, you are content.
The point in anything is similar--if you like it, you do it, if you don't, then don't do it! So if you hated this debate, you can forfeit all the other rounds, fulfilling "the point" you wished you wanted. If you really want to raise your elo to impress your fellow friends, you'd try hard by using sources, analyzing my paragraphs for errors that you can point out, and etc.
Good luck rebutting, con!
Beed1984

Con

But at the end of this debate, what is the point? Nothing will change, no one cares what we think, the world is the same. That is the same as life', wouldn't you say?
9spaceking

Pro

Nothing will change??! No one cares what we think??! The world is the same?! You are wrong. Triple-whiple-doodle-wrong!!
Nothing will change/the world is same: NOT TRUE. There are approximately 216,000 babies born every day in the whole entire world. This averages to 1890 babies born every minute. http://www.ask.com...
If this debate takes only, say, 10 minutes, there are still 10,000 more babies in the world whom are born. (Nevermind the death, disease, or incapable part, just how many are born)
No one cares: Are you sure NO ONE cares? I cared about what we think. You care, so you responded! My comparison of this debate to life is still remains--it really depends on how much you care, and what you think the point is! If you do not think a diamond valuable, it is not valuable to you. If you think dirt is valuable, it is valuable to you. It is all your belief.
Because I am a symphathetic man (or young man, to be more accurate), I shall cheer you up with a hilarious (yet irrelevant) photo. Presented below.
Beed1984

Con

I agree things change, but in the grand scheme of things, no one is interested in our pathetic debate, it will not solve any of the worlds problems, and ultimately we will die, and become a memory. What is the point????
9spaceking

Pro

Sure, this debate won't solve any of the world's problems!
But what if you decide to become something more...a doctor, who can save many many people's lives, a lawyer, who can also save lives, or perhaps...the president, who can influence the whole country! It is up to you to decide what to do in your life. If you decide to live your life to the fullest, that is the point. If you really hate life, and don't think you can contribute even in the least way, then be that way--you can suicide. (Because "go kill yourself" sounds offensive and I'm not an offensive person. I don't insult anybody)
Sure, your job doesn't have to be amazing, but you can still help people with "dumb" jobs, such as being a construction worker and helping build building, being a teacher and help provide knowledge to children, or just being a restaurant waiter and serving people with good food to help them live their lives and accomplish their goals.
Beed1984

Con

I am so glad there are people in the world like you. Thank you.
9spaceking

Pro

You're welcome! I hope that means I win and don't have to take out my back-up plan.
Next time though, do this in the forum. Because you really weren't debating, you just needed some "consulance help".
However, my goal in this debate still remains:

(Of course, con cannot vote, but anyone else can!)
Beed1984

Con

I am glad to say, yes you win :)
9spaceking

Pro

Woooot! Vote pro!
(This debate was very difficult due to the fact that even the words I read were monotonous and depressing. But I pulled through! Congrats to me!)
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Being Born is winning the Universe's Most Impossible Lottery.

Like all Lottery wins, the purpose or usefulness of winning is measured by what you do with those winnings.

It is up to the winner to make their win purposeful.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Know of a good book on psychology, as I'm studying psychology @ the mo, but I found an interesting book for studying MindSight psychology techniques, which contains a very useful form of meditation, which I had been practicing before I even read the book, without knowing it had any other name than Body Meditation.
I don't recommend books for personal improvement as too often they are misdirected and I find it offensive when people suggest, "this is the book for you?", as we are very complex creatures psychologically, but this book: "MindSight" by Daniel J. Siegel, MD. Does give some interest insights into his patient's issues and even more interesting resolutions that appear to have worked.

I suffered deep depression for a long time, though I resolved it by simply getting myself a hobby in playing and learning guitar, I enjoyed and absorbed myself into it, I'll never be a star, but my friends like my little tunes I make up, I also bought myself a 3D Printer and now I am learning CAD as well, then took up studying psychology, so I can learn to understand myself better, all, in all, I'm a totally different person, I feel a sense of direction in my life that I never felt before and I have picked up many new friends along the way.

My IT trade had become overpopulated with pseudo-professionals and rich (IT Savvy) kids leaving school which had taken many clients away, as they now consult upstarts which have never had my training and most of the businesses I contracted for are using their own junior staff to resolve IT issues as they are much cheaper than hiring us professionals.

This made me feel that I had nowhere to go in my trade and created a sense of depression.
The lack of contract work also left me lots of time to dig myself into an emotional hole and become even more depressed.
Filling this time with something I enjoy and finding other things I can do to bring in more money, has given me a new lease on life and a greater sense of purpose.
Posted by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
smug: trim; spruce; smooth; sleek. http://dictionary.reference.com...
I am none of these. :P
Posted by Beed1984 3 years ago
Beed1984
Don't get smug!

Yes I see a psychiatrist and therapist, just wanted to open up the debate for other peoples thoughts.
Posted by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
You should seek a psychiastic (ARGHGH how you spell that word? Physicist?) weekly if you keep on having these kinds of problems. Tell your parents! Tell your friends!
Posted by Beed1984 3 years ago
Beed1984
You did brilliant. I am so pleased, and you made me smile! That is the horror of depression, it eats away at your soul. Luckily I am trying to get through it by talking, discussing, debating and I love when a person gives me hope like you did. And yes, you win :)
Posted by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
man was beed's arguments somber, monotonous, and depressing. It was hard to post my first round argument, and even harder to post my second round. It's like the complete opposite of a troll argument! But I made it through.
Posted by Beed1984 3 years ago
Beed1984
Wow that makes it seem even sadder.
Posted by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
That is true intellect.
Posted by intellectuallyprimitive 3 years ago
intellectuallyprimitive
Humanity has functions that can be performed. Rather than having a point to live, the functions that we perform tend to create results. Results may give us a meaning or a purpose to repeat those functions. One of those functions or abilities Humans possess is the ability to procreate. Many believe that is our sole purpose. I believe that humans exist because we are permitted to not because we have a purpose. This assertion is merely my opinion.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 3 years ago
Geogeer
Beed19849spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argued well that life is worth living. I would like to add that Socrates stated "The unexamined life is not worth living" If that is true, then Con's examination shows that he is taking steps that make a life worth living.
Vote Placed by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Beed19849spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Hmm, interesting, Con did not really pose any arguments, nor did I get the point of the debate and think it belongs in the Opinions or Forum sections. Con is a winner in the Universe's most impossible Lottery, where every person born has more than the number of atoms in the universe against being born, but got here anyway. I think Con should stop worrying about what the point of winning this lottery is and get on with making the most of this great win by getting out there and making the most of it. A person's life is measured by their own personal achievements, they don't have to be big, or noticeable by others, they just have to give a sense of personal pride. Get a nice, enjoyable hobby and pursue that hobby, likely it will become a career and bring it's own purpose to life.