theiphone6s
Ankit95

What is the purpose of religion?

theiphone6s

Con

Here is my philosophy; I believe that religion is just a box that prevents people from doing what they want. It is kind of a wall that doesn't let free will leave. Even though some religions claim they have "free will".
Ankit95

Pro

Religion gives identity to someone...It brings a group or a community of people together where everyone supports each other. Promotes moral and emotional support to someone in need. And promise on an afterlife and drive attention towards the Almighty (GOD)
theiphone6s

Con

theiphone6s forfeited this round.
Ankit95

Pro

Ankit95 forfeited this round.
theiphone6s

Con

theiphone6s forfeited this round.
Ankit95

Pro

Ankit95 forfeited this round.
Posted by missmedic 8 months ago
missmedic
God who?
You can't have a substantive discussion about "God" or the existence of "God" unless everyone is clear on what they mean by "God" and everyone uses "God" in the same way. But when was the last time you saw that happen? In my experience, Christians tend to object to being asked to define clearly and coherently what they mean by "God," preferring instead that atheists simply assume that we know what is meant.
Posted by Selenite 8 months ago
Selenite
Religion is for people who are afraid of death / dying. They seek out comfort because they can't understand a world without some other "meaning". There are many things we will never know about earth, and the universe, etc. But I believe religious people focus way too much on leaving this beautiful place (aka. afterlife, heaven) than focusing/ appreciating what earth has to offer in this moment.
Posted by canis 8 months ago
canis
@FollowerofChrist. "if there wasnt a God I would not believe either ! ".... That is where you are wrong. The truth is "if there wasnt a believe there would be no god"...
But of course religion has a purpose. Otherwise we would not have invented it. It helps to control human behavior. It helps when you are affraid of x,y and z...Some people are able to believe in theire imaginasions of gods. Some people just imagine. And some dont.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 8 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
There IS no purpose to religion. If there wasn't a God I would not believe either! The common fallacy with the atheistic, agnostic and people who simply do not know there is a God, is that people are following some sort of fantasy, pie in the sky sort of thing. No. This is not about someone having faith in nothing. It's having faith in someone who has made Himself plainly visible.
Not visible in bodily form, rather visible in actions, and deeds that surround the whole of your Life. See God is active IN my life, not myt, not imagination. When I talk to Him, and I talk to Him daily, He answers, by deeds by actions, by using other people to miraculously bring up the very question I was asking and unknowingly giving me the answer I needed. No God is not a fiction or a religion. he is God.