Jagbag
Zombiebaron

What's the deal with the Socratic Method?

Jagbag

Pro

Are there any real pros to using the Socratic Method? Would you believe me if I said "yes?"

Why is it such an excellent debating tool? Is it because your opponent can never refute your points, even if it is solely on the grounds that you never actually make them? Is it because questions always require your opponent to think harder, and doubt themselves? Can it be both of these things? Are there more reasons? Why wouldn't there be?

Who would like to oppose this?
Zombiebaron

Con

How can you even possibly take a position like you took? Can one even, really, take anything that you said seriouly? When one thinks of the Socratic Method, must one always think of points that have never acctaully been made, but only hinted at? Perhaps, I am making the point that, really, you are wrong? Would I be so blunt?

Were I to summarize these opening, rather short I will admit, comments, perhaps I would state that Socrates was a total babe? How can one possibly deny that, and without the ability to deny that, doesn't my entire argument become entirely irefutable?
Jagbag

Pro

Why wouldn't I take the position I took? Are you aware that you, by employing no strategy other than the Socratic Method, are only proving my point even more? Could you be stupid enough to acknowledge your intelligence, but not notice that you only destroying your foundations by flaunting it? Could you?!

How can you possibly suggest Socrates is a babe, too? Why would you be so attracted to scaly, bushy old men? Is it just his acumen that you're attracted to? Are you, instead, just another "toga boy"? Could it be that I am one too? What if I were to undress you with my eyes? Would that make you uncomfortable?

Wouldn't it be logical that, since we are both debating with the Socratic Method, and we are both logical intelligent people, the Socratic Method is, by the transitive property, logical and intelligent? Can you not refute this? Have you no shame?
Zombiebaron

Con

Wait, what? When did I ever employ the Socratic Method?

So, like, what about this, eh? What if I used a different tact? Perhaps, if I said something along the lines of, and I quote, "'What's the deal with the Socratic Method?', he said, slowly looking up, 'Well, "the deal" is not good. In fact, the deal isn't very good at all. Nope. Never was. Socrates was a quack. Not like a duck. Naw. More like an idiot.", it would make me look all scholarly? You do realize that that was Dickens, don't you?
Jagbag

Pro

What difference would it make if it were Dickens or Dickcream? Are you aware that, if some hack writer decides that a philosopher is a quack, that doesn't imply his methods are likewise flawed?

Would you mid if I introduce this new point with the classic case of Hermann Heimlich? Do you know of Heimlich? Are you familiar with his Maneuver? Did you know that it has saved the lives of millions of people worldwide, and has completely revolutionized the Choking Safety Signs industry? However, are you aware that the actual Heimlich who invented this genius maneuver was, in fact, a complete Nimrod? Doesn't this entail that, though Socrates may have also been a dimwit quack, his method still remains flawless and an excellent way to dislodge hot dogs from a person's windpipe?

How can I have reached the end of this debate already? Did you know that I have only barely scratched the surface of my points, but just for the purpose of saving time and energy, I will simply recant what I had already said? Do you remember what I said?

Why, essentially, would you not use the Socratic Method? Did you know that opponents cannot continue to refute your arguments when they are made entirely of questions? Did you know that the capital of Turkey used to be called Constantinople? Did you know that this is, in fact, a bad way to wrap up my arguments?
Zombiebaron

Con

In closing, I would like to thank God, my producer, the man who guarded the door to my flat, and everybody who didn't think I could do it, eh? Doesn't this just show them? I made it, I made it? All the way to the end? Perhaps.
Posted by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
Haha, hillarious. Pro definitely has my vote. Nice job guys.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
I lol'ed. Pro gets the vote just for that.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
Oh I get it, Ha ha, but it is not an argument, and though it works as a godd debating tool, you should at least inform us what your final conclusion from the socratic method will be. Otherwise, the opponent deos not even know what they ar4e accepting/ what will be argued at them.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
How can I "oppose" this? It is a question, and so is your opening argument. Every single sentance, in fact.
Vote Placed by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
JagbagZombiebaronTied
Vote Placed by Conservative 9 years ago
Conservative
JagbagZombiebaronTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
JagbagZombiebaronTied
Vote Placed by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
JagbagZombiebaronTied
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 9 years ago
GaryBacon
JagbagZombiebaronTied
Vote Placed by Jagbag 9 years ago
Jagbag
JagbagZombiebaronTied
Vote Placed by Zombiebaron 9 years ago
Zombiebaron
JagbagZombiebaronTied