Jaewonna99
Stardestroyer484

What's the greatest record in sports?

Started: 12/12/2015 Category: Sports

Jaewonna99

Pro

For this argument, I will be debating with whoever accepts the challenge first about "The greatest individual record in the history of all sports". To introduce myself a little bit before the argument, I am a huge baseball fan. I do follow other sports, but baseball was the sport I have been following for the longest time now.

With that in mind, I would like to choose Cal Ripken, Jr.'s 2632 consecutive games started as the greatest individual record in all sports' history.
This is the greatest individual record in all sports for good reasons.

First off, Cal Ripken, Jr. played in one of the toughest positions to play baseball, shortstop. This shortstop position has the most to worry about, from fielding groundballs and flyballs to covering 3rd and 2nd base depending on the situation. Nowadays, most shortstops take a game off, or play as designated hitters once in every few months at most. However, Cal Ripken, Jr. played over 16 years consecutively, and considering that each season contains 162 games in Major League Baseball, it is a crazy number.
Also, there is not a single person that is even close to beating this streak currently. Chris Coghlan of the Chicago Cubs was called the "iron man" because he played 128 games in a row. Cal Ripken, Jr. played over 20 more times than what Chris Coghlan's "iron man" record is right now. Additionally, the fact that Coghlan plays outfield, makes Ripken's number seem even greater, as shortstop is arguably tougher by far than any outfield positions. Just to add any additional information, no active player is within 2000 games of Ripken's streak.
Lastly, this streak would have been impossible if Cal Ripken, Jr. wasn't one of the best players in the league. At the level that Major League Baseball competes, there is no spot reserved for someone who cannot keep up the work that Major Leaguers do. However, Cal Ripken, Jr. stayed on top of the tough shortstop position for nearly 17 years, and throughout his career, he was a 19 time all-star, ranking him 4th of all time after Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, and Stan Musial. Not to mention, he won plenty of other awards such as 8 time Silver Slugger, 2 time MVP, and two time gold glove.

Now I will wait for anyone to accept the challenge.
Stardestroyer484

Con

Personally I'm not a baseball fan I prefere football but I think that some of the greasyest sports records arnt in the major league but in the Olympics like usain bolt who everyone know as the fastest man alive not everyone know cal Ripken Jr. In China do u really think they no him,no but they know usain boly
Jaewonna99

Pro

Thanks for my opponent's round 1 counter argument.

Let me ask my opponent a question.
First off, my opponent's argument didn't make sense and didn't answer the point of the topic. He did not state his opinion on the greatest streak in the history, and his counter argument didn't make much sense.
This is a talk on the greatest streak of all time, not whoever the most famous person is.
Now, I am not sure why you have mentioned China, but if you are comparing like that, then if you go to China, everyone in China knows who Liu Xiang is, and they know him more than Usain Bolt in China.

I would like to ask my opponent, do you know who Liu Xiang is?
Stardestroyer484

Con

Stardestroyer484 forfeited this round.
Jaewonna99

Pro

Assuming that my opponent doesn't know who Liu Xiang is, he is by far more popular than Usain Bolt in China, as I have mentioned in Round 2.

However, my opponent has turned this argument into "Who is the most popular person in the world?"
That is not what this argument is supposed to be about, and he has gone off topic and couldn't back his own statement up in Round 1.

I will still wait for my opponent to post a counter argument.
Stardestroyer484

Con

Stardestroyer484 forfeited this round.
Posted by FuckleBerryJuJu 1 year ago
FuckleBerryJuJu
Wayne Gretzkys all time points in a hockey career is the only record that will never even be close to being touched