debata
JohnnyBadNews666

When it comes to listening to music, digital formats are never going to sound as good as vinyl

debata

Con

Something a lot of people assert, that vinyl/analogue methods of recording and listening are somehow superior to digital formats/methods.
JohnnyBadNews666

Pro

I accept this debate, only because I'm a music expert with a Doctrate in Music theory and performance and I believe you will fail horribly. Begin....
debata

Con

My argument is that there is no discernible improvement in quality when listening on music on vinyl compared with digital formats. I do think there is a percieved quality difference, due to thickening effect that the hiss from vinyl gives to any sound. There is a technique used in digital recording, known as dithering. Dithering is adding white noise, or other kinds of noise, to a track. You don't hear it clearly, but it has the effect of thickening up the instrument sounds you hear.
The quality that most people think they hear when listening to their favourite LP's, is just that thickening dither effect that you get from crackles, pops and vinyl hiss. Therefore I would say there is a percieved difference in quality, but no actual discernable difference.

I think there is a difference in percieved quality when recording to reel-to-reel tape, when compared to a digital recording of the same thing. I also have no doubt that recording using high quality analogue pre-amps on certain desks are much better for a pleasant tone on certain instruments, but thats not the point here. Once the recording has been done, listening to it back as a vinyl compared with on a CD is not going to make any difference anyway, other than that nostalgic crackle.
JohnnyBadNews666

Pro

The crackle is the secret young one! The Crackle! The Snap! The Pop! These are sounds you can't get from a clearly functioning audio player such as an iPod! Bwah! This debate has thus far not proved anything!
debata

Con

I would like to see some evidence as to why you think music is better on analogue formats?
If you play a i-pod through a good hi-fi, it won't sound worse than the same track played on a vinyl record. Then there are the problems of the format itself which is prone to scratching, warping, and skipping. A file stored digitally will last for as long a you want it to, and will never degrade in quality.

In fact styles of music such as classical music sound much better in digital formats, because there is a much better signal/noise ratio, as far as I know its around 60-70db with vinyl, and 90db with standard CD quality. This means you get much more clarity in sparse, quieter sections of music, as commonly found in classical compositions.

Also, I am aware that when converting a sound to a digital format you are essentially chopping off some of the extreme highs and lows of frequencies. For example at a sample rate of 96Khz, you don't get any frequencies over around 48Khz. I don't see this as a problem at all, since most healthy people are only capable of hearing sound up to 22khz, its not like the missing frequencies can be picked up on whatsoever.

To conclude, I set out to say Vinyl and analogue methods of listening are not superior to digital, and I haven't seen any evidence or argument to change my mind. I have pointed out the downfall of vinyl in terms of the signal/noise ratio, and can't see any actual reasons to prefer vinyl other than a sense of nostalgia, which has nothing to do with the quality of the format.

I'll keep an ear out for that fourth young one!
JohnnyBadNews666

Pro

JohnnyBadNews666 forfeited this round.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
I'd take this one, but the all inclusive opening statement of "never" instantly ruins the argument for vinyl. Trying to argue that digital will NEVER catch up in sound quality, is a little absurd.