amandamllr23
balboni500

When it is gaming vs reading, reading wins.

amandamllr23

Pro

I'm arguing from the standpoint that reading beats gaming. You have to devote a lot of time to playing video games, neglecting those around you (significant others), and it's nearly impossible to play multiple games at the same time.

Where with reading, you can usually put a book down at any time, so your loved ones don't feel ignored if they want/need to speak to you about something, or just want to hang out with you. If you find another book you want to read, you can read both. I read a chapter out of one, then the other etc.

You can read through books faster then you can play through a game. You can learn more things from books then from video games etc.

There are five rounds to this debate, the one who accepts this will have to state their reasons for being pro game, where they think my reasoning is wrong etc.
balboni500

Con

First of all, you don't need to devote a lot of time to playing video games and if you want, you can devote a lot of your time to reading. A lot of people don't neglect the people around them and it is still possible for people reading books to do the same thing. It is possible to play different video games at the same time, there have been days where I have played for an hour and have played three or four different games in that period.

To your point about being able to put a book down at any time, there are people in both parties who are capable and incapable of putting down their form of entertainment down immediately. Also, you said that people can read books faster then they play games, this depends on the book and the game. Sandbox games never end etc. but if you are talking about game campaigns then it can range from several weeks to a few hours or so, the same thing can be said for books.

On to your point that you learn more from books than you do from games, I will have to very strongly disagree with you on the grounds that If I had not got very in to video games, I would not be who I am today. Video games can demonstrate many different points and help people better themselves. (I am not saying that books can not do this but only that games can do this as well.

_______________________________
Now for my turn.

Video games are more entertaining (in my opinion) and can provide knowledge, skills, entertainment, and pleasure.

This preference between books and video games really depends on the type of person, how and when they are raised. As a person who grew up around video games, I still enjoy a good book every once in a while but for me, books just dont provide as much entertainment as video games for me. I enjoy being able to interact with an environment in a way that books cant always provide.

Video games may be more expensive but you kind of get what you pay for. Video games like Grand Theft Auto 5 provide a storyline on par, if not better than some books and they provide you with a wide array of things to do within this world. As well as singleplayer, many games now offer a multiplayer feature and allow friends to play with each other.

Many consoles now allow up to four players to be connected at the same time and enjoy the game together. This makes it so four family members can play with each other at the same time.

I would say that video games, instead of always driving people apart and being a dull waste of time and money, (depending on how they are used) can be a great way to bring people and cultures together, they can also be a great source of knowledge, skills, and a good way to improve yourself and your personality.
amandamllr23

Pro

There are video games that take a lot of time, take World of Warcraft for example. Relationships have ended due to this game.

https://www.youtube.com...

Games like Destiny and other first person shooters that have dailies etc also takes a lot of time.

Putting a book down is easier then putting a game down, when that game doesn't have pause screens, such as Dark Souls. If someone wants/needs to talk to a gamer while they are playing those type of games they have to wait until they get to a bonfire, or find a safe place. This can take awhile and be alienating to the person waiting to talk to you, meanwhile someone could just put a finger to mark their place, and pay attention to the other person.

Books can teach you about other cultures and lifestyles, can show you other viewpoints on things like religion and philosophy. Books like Harry Potter can actually define a whole generation, I haven't seen anything like that happen with video games.

With books you can travel anywhere in your mind, what you are reading instantly becomes a movie that you control/direct. You can cast anyone you want to play the characters and be whoever you want. Video games only supply you with one character/or more I guess if you play Destiny where you can have multiple characters.

Book Clubs. You can join book clubs and make new friends, bond over books you mutually enjoy, or debate the underlying meanings of those books.

___________

Lets talk about violence. No I do not believe video games have any ties to school shootings or anything like that, but if you watched the video I posted up there it does cause some violence. You can find more videos like that on youtube.

I can't find much violence from people raging over books.
balboni500

Con

In my opinion, if you devote so much time and energy to anything so that it hurts someone, those around you or your relationships with them, I don't think that you should be in that relationship in the first place. Yes destiny and other first person shooters may take a lot of time but most of that is the online portion which is essentially endless. Just like books, video games can be paused and you can come back to them at a later date.

Putting a game down ranges in difficulty from person to person and the same thing can be said for book readers.

Also it isn't like books and works of literature haven't driven people apart either. Look at the Bible.

Most games nowadays have pause screens and I have not played a single game that doesn't have some sort of pause screen or function. Sure it can take a while to reach a pause point but for most games it takes less then 2 minutes (or so).

The same argument can be made against books that it can take a while to reach a good pause point, for example maybe you are in a really good part or something and you want to read through it all without distractions from the story.

Video games can also teach you about other cultures and lifestyles (depending on the game) genres or franchises of games can define a generation too.

With video games, you can see what is in someone else's mind and have it all there for you.(Talking about Grand Theft Auto 5) You control your experience, you can be who you want from a criminal to a vigilante to a car racer to a pilot or anything in between and for some people, their imaginations aren't as strong as others. Grand theft auto supplies you with three pre-designed characters in the campaign and two to four more in gta online each of which, you can chose everything about.

The "video games are a waste of your time because you cant make real friends online" argument is completely stupid. Sure, you may not be seeing them face to face but people make relationships and gain friends and even meet the people that they will spend the rest of their life with in video games.

______________

Yes, let's talk about violence.
No normal person if they are psychologically normal and are in their right mind have never committed a crime from a video game.

On the other hand (talking largely about religious books and bibles) These books have started wars! These books have changed the course of history. "no violence from books"

Today though, I think that for the most part, people are very level headed. (in the western world)
It has been proven that there is no correlation between violent video games and aggressive behavior or crime rates.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com...
amandamllr23

Pro

amandamllr23 forfeited this round.
balboni500

Con

balboni500 forfeited this round.
amandamllr23

Pro

amandamllr23 forfeited this round.
balboni500

Con

balboni500 forfeited this round.
amandamllr23

Pro

amandamllr23 forfeited this round.
balboni500

Con

balboni500 forfeited this round.
Posted by Hylian_3000 2 years ago
Hylian_3000
I would like to debate this topic with you.