TurkeyProphet
feverish

When music stops being played it ceases to exist

Started: 7/28/2009 Category: Arts

TurkeyProphet

Pro

My argument is fairly simple; if a song is not being played by anyone anywhere in the world it has stopped existing.

Some basic definitions:
Music - "1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre."

Sound - " 1. Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.
2. Transmitted vibrations of any frequency.
3. The sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such vibrations in the air or other medium.
4. Such sensations considered as a group."

Exist - "To have actual being; be real."

By played I mean when all the melodies, sounds, lyrics (all things in the definition of music) are played audibly from a sound emitting devise in the order that has been recognised or copyrighted by the artist. For this particular debate we will only consider music composed by humans, no dogs playing the flute or considering the breeze in the trees a song.

At this moment in time the only song that I can consider to truly exist is 'Paranoid Android' by Radiohead (as it is what I can hear at the moment) for the sake of this debate we will only consider this song as I cannot be sure any other will play when I click on them. I posit that in 40 minutes when I leave for work and this song has stopped playing and assuming no one else in the world is playing the song that Paranoid Android by Radiohead is no longer in existence.

Anyone accepting this debate must accept all of my conditions and promise to wear a hat whilst debating this topic with me.

I would also like to ask my opponent to not type too much and to carefully number all of their points.

It is also irrelevant whether my opponent considers Radiohead to play 'real music' and I would like to remind everyone that I have no knowledge of music beyond how to listen to it. However after years of practise I have become very good at listening to music.

I would also like my opponent to keep all racism to a bare minimum.
feverish

Con

I thank my opponent and countryman exuberantly for instigating this fascinating debate.

I am the proud owner of 4 hats and will be pleased to wear a different one each round, I would appreciate if my adversary could also vary his headgear in a similar fashion.
I will do my best not to be racist, English scum that we both are.
I have no way of knowing what my opponent considers as "too much" typing but I can assure him that the website automatically restricts me from exceeding the word limit he has selected for this debate.

I applaud his excellent definitions.

----

Music does not stop existing when it stops playing.

I will number my points as requested (damn, I'm getting hot in this woolly hat.)

---

1. Irrelevant semanticism.

The resolution reads "When music stops being played it ceases to exist" but my opponent's argument seems to be concerned with only 'songs'.

His definition makes it clear that music covers a much broader spectrum than just songs.

---

2. Relevant semanticism.

My opponent does not define music as the recording, performance or composition itself, his definition instead talks about the "art" of making music.

Even if no music was being played anywhere in the world, the potential and the ability to create music still exists in everyone.

--

3. Music in my mind (big up Stevie Wonder).

Almost all of us have had the experience of having a song or other piece of music 'stuck in our heads' and some great composers have been reported to be able to arrange an entire symphony without hearing a single physical note. http://www.amphi.com... (last paragraph)

The ability to 'hear' an inaudible piece of music probably varies between individuals. Personally I find that I often hear full pieces of existing music in my dreams. These sound identical to recordings I know but are (presumably) not existing as physical sound waves.

---

4. Digital files.

Modern technology is pretty amazing stuff and an incredibly accurate reproduction of a recording can be expressed in digital code that will take up a microscopic amount of physical space.

For my opponent to be able to 'click' on a song (such as the wonderful one by the amazing band he refers to) and play it, he must have a digital copy on his computer or other device that he has obtained (by means fair or foul) from somewhere.

Turkey prophet can only listen to Paranoid Android because he has downloaded or otherwise installed it on his system. While minuscule, this data exists whether or not he is listening to it right now.

---

5. Paranoid Android.

I can verify that this song does indeed exist, it is on the well-known album OK Computer and is on my computer as well as Turkey's. A video has been made to accompany it. Further verification of it's existence can be found easily including information of when and where the song was composed and recorded as well as reviews of the song and album. http://www.google.co.uk...

---

6. My vinyl weighs a ton.

Analogue recordings are perhaps even more mysterious than their digital counterparts but I can confirm that it is possible for sound recordings including music to be pressed onto round pieces of plastic and even onto magnetic tape.

I own well over a thousand records and I'm pretty sure that the music stays on them even when they are not being played, where else could it go after all.

I'm looking at a record now and I can see the lighter and darker parts of the record showing where the quieter parts of the track are.

---

7. Notation.

Music can be expressed by various systems of notation and there is a well recognised system of symbolic notation accepted throughout the modern world that has been used in western classical music for centuries. http://en.wikipedia.org...

This allows musicians to 'hear' a piece of music without physically hearing the sound waves. The paper and the information on it remain when no longer played (unless destroyed of course).

---

8. Visual representation.

On a music software program such as Logic, Cubase or Reason the individual sounds or samples are represented by a visual image of the sound wave showing it's peaks and troughs. http://www.dracoaudio.com...

This remains on screen even when the sound is not playing and changes accordingly if the sound is edited neither the image or the sound it represents cease to exist at any point.

----

I assert that music continues to exist when not being played (on a number of levels) for the reasons above.

"The art of arranging sounds in time etc." certainly always exists apart from any individual piece of music.

---

I look forward to the next round and anticipate a 'tree falling in the forest' argument which I will be disappointed if my opponent chooses not to utilise.

I look forward to it nevertheless.

Thanks.
Con.

Q. What challenges do you foresee for turkeys this Christmas?
TurkeyProphet

Pro

TurkeyProphet forfeited this round.
feverish

Con

A forfeit is always disappointing, even more so when anticipating an interesting response.

My opponent seems to have been online recently so I assume he hasn't abandoned the site altogether but who can say?

Hopefully he will make up for it with a dazzling and revelation packed argument in the next round.

I am still wearing a hat but have elected to wear it on a different (non-standardly hat-bearing) appendage.

Thankyou.
TurkeyProphet

Pro

TurkeyProphet forfeited this round.
feverish

Con

*sigh*

Extend my previous arguments.

Once again, extremely disappointing not to hear my opponent's reasoning behind his fascinating opinion.

One more round, here's hoping.

*Black baseball cap worn backwards.*
TurkeyProphet

Pro

TurkeyProphet forfeited this round.
feverish

Con

Oh well, I guess me and the turkeys will have to look elsewhere for the answers to our questions.

*Trilby.

Thanks for reading.
Posted by Chuckles 7 years ago
Chuckles
very interesting...
Posted by TurkeyProphet 7 years ago
TurkeyProphet
Tapioca!
Vote Placed by tmhustler 7 years ago
tmhustler
TurkeyProphetfeverishTied
Vote Placed by Lexicaholic 7 years ago
Lexicaholic
TurkeyProphetfeverishTied
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
TurkeyProphetfeverishTied