When young, children should learn that the primary colours are red, blue and green.

Hello, I will be arguing that children should learn that red, green and blue are the primary colors, not red, yellow and blue, as demonstrated by the RGB color model.

-=Debate Parameters=-
Topic: When young, children should learn that the primary colours are red, blue and green.
Pro: Luggs
Con: whoever accepts this debate
5 Rounds
Voting period: 1 week
Arguments: 3 days
Character limit: 8,000 characters
All votes need comments (RFD)

When young: This will refer to the beginning of elementary school, so somewhere from pre-kindergarden to the first grade.
Primary color: the colors that combine to make all other colors.

Avoid fallacious arguments
No semantics
All sources must be quoted. Simply posting a source link is not enough to represent an argument.
No arguments in R1, only acceptance of debate parameters, rules, etc.
No more new arguments in R5, only rebuttals and closing.
Cite sources.
Disobeying a rule results in loss of conduct.

I'll accept this.

Before I begin, I need to update the definition of primary colours: for the purpose of the debate, we will only be referring to the visible spectrum of light and colour.

First, I will explain why not to use red, blue and yellow as the primary colours:

You know how people say that blue and yellow make green? It isn't entirely true. When colours are mixed as pigmentation, subtractive colour mixing is used, not additive. Often, a non-pure blue may be used, which contains traces of green, thus subtractive colour mixing works. The colours cyan and yellow both contain the colour green. Let's take a look at the RGB scale for yellow and cyan.

Yellow: (255, 255, 0)
Cyan: (0, 255, 255)

The first number represents the amount of red in the colour, the second, green, and the third, blue. If you notice, both colours have a pure green inside. This can be demonstrated by using cyan and yellow highlighters. When mixed, the colour green is produced.

Now onto the colours red, green and blue.

I will begin my arguments with the RGB scale. Using this scale, any and all colours in the visible spectrum can be created. Don't believe me? You're probably using a monitor with three kinds of pixels: red, green and blue. These pixels can increase or decrease their brightness and combine with nearby pixels to form colours [1].

Next, this may count as a rebuttal, but I felt that this fit in as an argument: let's compare the CYMK (magenta, yellow, magenta and black) scale of colour. CYMK uses subtractive colour mixing and is used in our printers. Please see second source, as this is a visual argument [2].As you can see, the colours look more pure.

This is the end of my arguments. Over to Con.

My argument rests on your argument stating that only RGB should be used, while that is not the only color scale.

If you look at RYB and CMYK, you'll notice something. Cyan is close to blue, magenta is close to red, and yellow is... well, it is itself. RYB is an approximation of the CMYK scale, where CMYK has a higher gamut range (meaning it can produce more colors). Therefore, it would be more appropriate to teach that RYB is an approximation of CMYK, and is therefore more capable of producing a wide array of colors.

Furthermore, your argument is trying to compare two different things. RGB is an additive scale, while RYB is subtractive. Subtractive scales are ideally used for printing on white paper, since they deal with reflected light. Additive scales are best used when the light is being projected instead of reflected off surfaces to produce colors.

I also argue that it is near (if not completely) impossible to mix pure cyan or magenta with standard RYB paint sets. I would encourage you to attempt this at the risk of your sanity so you can see how difficult it is to do this.

Physical artwork still has a place, and it would be foolish to replace education of a subtractive scale with an additive scale. It would, however, be more acceptable to use a more accurate additive scale.

Luggs forfeited this round.

Opponent forefited.

Luggs forfeited this round.

Should I consider this a concession from the debate?

Luggs forfeited this round.
Posted by Luggs 3 years ago
Well, this is another forfeit :P