Aksh7
AlexanderOc

Where will LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Kevin Love Go

AlexanderOc
Started: 6/25/2014 Category: Sports

Aksh7

Pro

This is a discussion not a debate but lets talk
AlexanderOc

Con

I. Opening statement
As the instigator, Pro holds BoP
I will be attempting to falsify any claims Pro makes to support his argument

II. Cross-Examination
My opponent made the claim "This is a discussion not a debate" however I have to disagree for a few reasons.

1.This was posted on a debate website known as Debate.org
2. This was posted within the "Debates" section of Debate.org
3. My opponents has made a claim and has taken a side (Pro)

"but lets talk." Pro is attempting make Con do an impossible action. Verbal communication is impossible on a text-based website.

Bing Dictionary defines talk as "having a conversation about something: to address spoken words to somebody, or have a conversation with somebody"

As spoken word cannot be utilised on this debating website, Pro cannot expect either of us to talk.

III. Conclusion
Seeing as Pro has mad a false statement, and and demands an action impossible to complete, his argument is invalid.

I await Pro's rebuttal!
Aksh7

Pro

Aksh7 forfeited this round.
AlexanderOc

Con

Forfeiture requires no rebuttal.
Aksh7

Pro

Aksh7 forfeited this round.
AlexanderOc

Con

A really poor debate sadly.
I'll admit, I had no idea what the resolution was even about. Unfortunately for my opponent though, he didn't capitalize on that by forming an actual rebuttal.
Posted by AlexanderOc 2 years ago
AlexanderOc
Very well, if Pro does not forfeit the second round, I will hold the BoP and must support a claim. If he does forfeit, then the debate is conceded to Con.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
I will not refute his obligation to this debate. I feel he is very dumb for posting this as a debate, regardless of how new he MAY be to this site. He should be using a forum.

You gave two definitions of talk. Taking only part of the definition of a word to support your argument is lackluster at best. It is the instigator's duty to define terms, Therefore, in accepting this debate, you should either ask the instigator to define any terms that are in question, or live with whatever definitions he may come up with.

I agree, he gave you no points regarding the claim, so you have no obligation to refute any claim, or give your own opinion on the claim of NBA Free Agency.

Since no argument or opinion was given in the first round, just a generic statement, even if non coherent to the Claim, then you have nothing to argue. Instead of asking for clarification on the arguments, or definition or terms (whether in Round 1, or the comment section) you have taken the role of instigator by defining your own terms, and beginning the argument.

This would lead me to assume, based on your argument, you now have the BoP to determine if this is truly a debate. Since Pro is the creator of this question/forum/debate, he has the right to dictate what this question is (a debate or not).
Posted by AlexanderOc 2 years ago
AlexanderOc
Obviously Domr has some issues with my first construct, allow me to address these.

Pro may be entitled to create a debate with the intentions of conversation, however that does not relieve him of his position and requirments were a debator to treat it as an actual debate.

I used the definition that was appropropriate for my argument, seeing as Pro did not define talk talk at all, it was completely within my right to do so.

It is the duty of the instigator to list his first round as "acceptance only" failure to do so does not relieve him of arguments within the first round.

If Pro would like to make a claim about which NBA team will sign James, Anthony, and Love, then he has all the power to do so. At that point I will attempt to refute his claim and this can turn into a better debate.

If any instigator posts a debate without being properly informed, then it is up to that person to accept he may face a debator who actually treats this site as if it were a debating website. An instigator cannot expect to start a "debate" and not meet any actual resistance.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
The "Claim" being made is the view on which NBA teams will sign Mr. James, Anthony, and Love. Pro has claimed in his opening statement his views against this being a debate and more of a discussion of sorts. (I do not agree with him creating a debate format for his discussion, but he is entitled to do so. I must assume his opening argument is not invalid, just very weak to the Claim)

"Bing Dictionary defines talk as "having a conversation about something: to address spoken words to somebody, or have a conversation with somebody""

The second definition states 'conversation'. Conversations can involve numerous forms of communication, including those via text. Conversation include, but are not limited to, debates and 'discussions'.

No false statements have been made, and both Pro and Con have expressed a very weak opening statements/arguments.

Another option to Round 1: since Pro has not specified which teams he believes will sign the listed players in the Claim, we must ascertain the opening round must be for acceptance only, per most debate guidelines on this website.

I would like to see Round 2 follow-up with with the arguments for which teams are believed to sing the aforementioned NBA players.

The Con, in his attempt to "Troll a 'n00b'", is inaccurate, unwarranted, and pathetic.
Posted by critht 2 years ago
critht
Oh my god, that is one of most genius noob snipings EVER.
Posted by SolonKR 2 years ago
SolonKR
If you don't actually want to debate, there's a whole forum dedicated to sports.

http://www.debate.org...
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Aksh7AlexanderOcTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
Aksh7AlexanderOcTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 2 years ago
Phoenix61397
Aksh7AlexanderOcTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is obviously new on the site and didn't understand he needed to go to forums. Con should not have taken this debate if he didn't wish to discuss the resolution.