cAnDiShOpLaDi
The_Light_of_L

Whether 18 year olds should be able to drink!!

The_Light_of_L

cAnDiShOpLaDi

Pro

Of course they should!! When you turn 18 you get called a adult but you get no responsibility!! WOWW you can drive and smoke! Whopde Friggin Do! If you can smoke why can't you drink?! Yeah I know most drunk drivers that got in accidents are under aged but you can't blame all the 18 year olds I know a lot that are very responsible and could handle this responsibility!! just because a few aren't doesn't mean anything!!!! Also there are more 21 year olds + than 18 or younger drunk drivers 18 % more!! So try toppin that!!!!!!! (:
The_Light_of_L

Con

First off I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate.
To start off I would like to look at her opening argument.
"Yeah I know most drunk drivers that got in accidents are under aged but you can't blame all the 18 year olds I know a lot that are very responsible and could handle this responsibility!! just because a few aren't doesn't mean anything!!!!"
In this part you contradicted yourself. At first you said "Yeah I know MOST..." and later you said "just because a FEW". Most and Few are two different concepts entirely. And based of your "most" statement, you would want "most" people to get injured or killed as long as the rest can drink at 18? Also do you think that there are 18% more people 21+ that drive drunk than 18 year old's because 21 is the legal age limit to drink? Or that some people follow the law and don't drink untill they are 21? So it makes since that 18% of drunk drivers are 21+ because they are many more 21+ drinkers than 18 year old drinkers.

In a recent study in New Zealand the drinking age was lowered from 20 to 18 in 2000. The study found that the rate of traffic crashes and injuries increased 12% for 18-19-year-old males and 14% among 15-17-year-old males comparing the four years before and after the United State's legislature lowered the drinking age to 18. For females, rates rose 51% for 18-19-year-olds and 24% for 15-17-year-olds. The study estimated that 400 serious injuries and 12 deaths each year among 15-19-year-olds could be prevented if the country raised their minimum legal drinking age from 18 to 21. This study took place in New Zealand but experts say the same thing or worse could happen if we lowered the drinking age here in the U.S.A. paraphrased from----(http://hubpages.com...)--

The thing that most people tend to not think about is that teens tend to abuse alcohol no more than people that fall in the age category of 21 to 40 year olds. But when you take into account that teenagers drive more miles than older drivers do, the statistics show a higher rate of alcohol-related traffic fatalities for teenagers than older groups.
"One reason is that 18-year-olds might not be mature enough to drink responsibly. At the age of 18 we are not yet mature enough, we just stepped out of high school and are preparing for college. At 18 they have the responsibility to vote, start getting their credit, and start becoming an adult. Trying to become an adult is a big responsibility, and putting alcohol in their hands will only make it a little more difficult to do. At this age they are still trying to have fun, enjoy life, and explore adult hood. Why should we put alcohol in their hands to let them maybe destroy their or someone else's future." copied from--(http://hubpages.com...)--

http://hubpages.com...
cAnDiShOpLaDi

Pro

Ummmm....... you should know what I mean when I said that I mean 21 year olds + can be just as immature as 18 year olds!! And why are you called an adult if you can't even drink?! If you look up sevays they will tell you that when you tell 18 year olds they can't drink it makes them want to do it even more cause they think it makes them look good so if we told them that 18 year olds are aloud to drink there would probally less of them would drink and get into car accidents!!!! Also there are dumb cops out there that I've seen watch an under aged drinker get wasted and didn't do nothing about i I know not all cops do that but some do so it must not matter much if they do!! and you can't just blame all the 18 year olds for a fews mistakes!!!!!!!!
The_Light_of_L

Con

Responding to my opponent's statement----
"Ummmm....... you should know what I mean when I said that I mean 21 year olds can be just as immature as 18 year olds!!"
There are two things I would like to point out about your statement.- 1.) This is a debate not a "I assume they know what I mean" argument. Though I do understand what you say you must give proof how 21 can be just as immature as 18 year olds or the statement is just an opinion which is not reliable. Now I will look at the second flaw in this statement.- 2.) This is not a debate about immaturity, this is a debate about why the age limit on drinking should/ or should not be lowered. Also if you were referring to drinking at 21 and being drunk as a sign as immaturity how is that a sign of maturity or immaturity? Human's are flawed creatures, we all make mistakes and those that drink until they are drunk are just an example of our flawed creation. To list a couple of famous stars that have been drunk that many people would agree are not immature: Mel Gibson (Hollywood Actor, Director, and Grammy Winner), Michelle Rodriguez (Actress in the movie SWAT) and George W. Bush (Former President of the U.S.A.)----http://www.drinkdriving.org...----

"And why are you called an adult if you can't even drink?!"
My only response to this is; since when does drinking make you an adult? And/or, Do adults have to drink to be considered adults I myself have a mother who only drinks on special occasions (weddings, special parties) and not once has she got drunk (asking how I know, one because I go with her to the occasions and I know what being drunk is like because of my father), and far as I know she is an adult unless you consider a 39 year old a child.

"If you look up sevays they will tell you that when you tell 18 year olds they can't drink it makes them want to do it even more cause they think it makes them look good so if we told them that 18 year olds are aloud to drink there would probally less of them would drink and get into car accidents!!!!"
-Is Sevays a blog/newsletter/forum/newpaper/magazine/etc.? Is it a matter of opinion or a statement of hard fact? You have not stated this so I and the reader's do not know this. Also when you say the "probally" (and may I point out that the word is spelled "probably") That is a matter of opinion. You have no facts to support this statement (at least you did not post them) thus I cannot believe what you say. You also assume that those that drink underage will make themselves stop drink but according to--- http://voice.paly.net... ---- if the drinking age was lowered "Students would be able to drink whenever they pleased, and that would not stop them from driving, leading to more accidents on the roads." and they would now not be stopping even though they no longer look like a "rebel". The same website also states "Today, teens can easily obtain alcohol just by calling a friend or an older sibling. However, it is still more difficult to obtain than if they were able to buy it themselves. Making it easier for high school students to acquire alcohol by changing the drinking age to 18 will not help."

I eagerly await your response.

http://www.drinkdriving.org...
http://voice.paly.net...
cAnDiShOpLaDi

Pro

cAnDiShOpLaDi forfeited this round.
The_Light_of_L

Con

Since my opponent has not posted a response I shall not either as she does not have anything else for myself to debate.
cAnDiShOpLaDi

Pro

cAnDiShOpLaDi forfeited this round.
The_Light_of_L

Con

ok then ill guess ill forward this to the voting round
Posted by The_Light_of_L 4 years ago
The_Light_of_L
No offense to CandiShopLadi but that you must think of better arguments. This was a horrible debate (for you) if you ever want to have3 another debate I will happily tear you apart.
Posted by The_Light_of_L 4 years ago
The_Light_of_L
Might I suggest putting sources?
Vote Placed by jwljacl 3 years ago
jwljacl
cAnDiShOpLaDiThe_Light_of_LTied
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 4 years ago
I-am-a-panda
cAnDiShOpLaDiThe_Light_of_LTied
Vote Placed by The_Light_of_L 4 years ago
The_Light_of_L
cAnDiShOpLaDiThe_Light_of_LTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 4 years ago
Koopin
cAnDiShOpLaDiThe_Light_of_LTied