BAZINGA0802
TheDarkMuffin

Whether Apple is Better Than Microsoft

TheDarkMuffin
Started: 5/19/2013 Category: Technology

BAZINGA0802

Pro

Apple is better than Microsoft due to its increased user-friendlyness and unique functions. Any arguments?
TheDarkMuffin

Con

This seems like it could be a difficult debate, but I accept nonetheless.
BAZINGA0802

Pro

I think that Apple is better because of the amazing amount of products available from them. This is including such devices as the: ipod, ipad, imac etc. wheres with microsoft you only have a few products. Also, Microsoft/windows hasnt made a worthwhile big leap since windows vista, with windows 7 being just better graphics and windows 8 only works well if you have a touchscreen device.

Your Move.
TheDarkMuffin

Con

For my argument, my proposition will simply be as simple as one would expect antithetical to your's: Apple is NOT better than Microsoft based on the reasons you made in the thesis. As such, I'll simply skip right to a rebuttal.

However, you've either failed to put forth an argument that works in favor of your thesis, or you've failed to make it clear how your argument works in favor of your thesis.

Seemingly, you're implying that having an "amazing amount of products" in comparison to Microsoft means that Apple has "increased user-friendlyness and unique functions." I'm not sure how. I think you'd best clarify this in your next round.

Also, you expressed the idea that Microsoft "hasnt made a worthwhile leap since windows vista," which is very false.
Worthwhile (which is pronounced /G2;wərTHG2;(h)wīl/ and is an Adjective, in case you wanted to know for whatever reason) denotes that it must be worth either the effort, time, or money. So, since you said it's not worth the money, the only one of those that can really be quantified in any way valuable to this debate, I decided to see what the market seems to be implying.

"Windows 7 helped drive Microsoft to record revenue during its fiscal third quarter, with profits increasing by more than a third versus a year ago."[1] Record revenue. With profits being in the billions, while the loss probably being somewhere in the mere millions.[2]

And that's just Windows 7. Since the release of Windows 7 in 2009, we've had Halo 4, the Kinect, the all in one XBOX, Metro, and that's just to name a few.

So far, your argument doesn't seem very well informed and doesn't seem to be working in favor of your thesis at all.

Simply so this isn't JUST a rebuttal, I'd just like to say that Apple did try something much like Microsoft's XBOX all in one setup known as the Apple TV. There are plenty of reviews, but here's a quick, fair review weighing both the Pros and Cons of both VERY evenly. You can look up your own reviews, but I PROMISE you that this one isn't blatantly biased.[3] Long story short, XBOX wins, despite the price.

[1] http://www.pcmag.com...
[2] http://www.guardian.co.uk...
[3] http://gizmodo.com...
BAZINGA0802

Pro

For the first part of your post, i meant that Apple have a high amount of good quality products, such as the iMac, due to the fact it is nearly impossible to get a virus on, even if you code a virus on the computer, for the computer, it recognizes this and won't let you run the program. As for the User-Friendliness, I find that Apple makes products according to the needs of the user, such as the silent switch actually built into the phone which I find useful when you are suddenly in a place where the disturbance of a phone would not be permitted. And, for the final part of my argument, Windows 7 and 8 have made most of their profits out of laptops that ONLY come with Windows 7/8 and/or PC games, that move on because some of the software is improved, but, if you don't want Windows 7/8, then you would have to get a different operating system, or cope with an older laptop, which may be outdated or full of viruses. I rest my case. Your Move.
TheDarkMuffin

Con

Wh-!?

"I rest my case."

I hope you realize that there are still two rounds remaining. However, if it really is your intention to simply end your arguing there, I believe you'll be leaving me very confused. So, you're arguing two things. Simply so I may understand what you're saying, I will list all the claims.

What the Almighty Apple Products Have the Capacity To Do

Verbatim
  1. "impossible to get a virus on, even if you code a virus on the computer"
  2. "won't let you run the program"
  3. "silent switch actually built into the phone"

Interpreted

1. The claim here is that Apple iMac's default OS is impervious (or at least significantly more so than Microsoft's Windows) to viruses.
  2. If you code something, and the Operating System doesn't like it, it automatically refuses to run it.
  3. I believe my opponent is referring to a switch on the side of the phone that allows you to turn down the volume.

Now, my opponent is arguing that Apple is progressed ahead of Microsoft in two categories. I will now rebut all the functions in both these two compartmentalizations, created by Pro (thus, having me argue what Pro is telling me to argue).

Unique Functions

1. No viruses.
  2. Disallowing the ability to run programs.
  3. Silent switch.

1) A Mac's immunity to viruses is not quantifiably better than any of Microsoft's OSs.[1][2][3]

2) Microsoft's Windows has UAC[4], which can disallow you to run programs if you tell it to beforehand. Most people don't. Because it's redundant. I believe that my opponent may also be referring to Sandboxing. I know tons of Sandbox applications available for Windows. In fact, here's one.[5]

3) Wh-? I don't even think I need a source for this. Everyone get out their phone right now. Does it have a silent switch? Does it have volume controls? The answer for most of you will be yes, even if you don't have an Apple phone. I really don't know how my opponent got the idea that this is a unique function to Apple products.

User Friendly Functions

1. No viruses.
  3. Silent switch.

1) According to my opponent, it's security is just stopping you from running programs. That's not what's conventionally called User Friendly.

2) See 1.

3) Although this is a User Friendly function, it's not any more User Friendly than a silent switch on a Windows phone or any other phone.

Rebutting the Rebuttal

Now, my opponent states that "Windows 7 and 8 have made most of their profits out of laptops that ONLY come with Windows 7/8 and/or PC games" which actually doesn't rebut my point at all. This is a random tabloid fact that has no relevance to my argument. As such, I think it should be governed that it be disregarded.

[1] http://www.baselinemag.com...

[2] http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

[3] http://www.securelist.com...

[4] http://winsupersite.com...

[5] http://www.sandboxie.com...

BAZINGA0802

Pro

BAZINGA0802 forfeited this round.
TheDarkMuffin

Con

I'm not one for hasty assumptions, but I believe my opponent may have just given up...
BAZINGA0802

Pro

BAZINGA0802 forfeited this round.
TheDarkMuffin

Con

Wow, I...I guess my opponent wasn't kidding with "I rest my case."

Ummm...Vote Con! :D
Posted by BAZINGA0802 4 years ago
BAZINGA0802
*good
Posted by BAZINGA0802 4 years ago
BAZINGA0802
Damn, my Internet was down for the rest of the debate period, I meant to carry on, but I was stopped by my router. Anyway, I also meant the silent/mute switch on the side of an iPhone... Anyway, god debate! Kind of...
Posted by TheDarkMuffin 4 years ago
TheDarkMuffin
That would be a sound guess. ;)
Posted by newbiehere 4 years ago
newbiehere
Can't deny the awesomeness of the almighty Google. They basically own my life right now. If they go down in flames tomorrow, I'm basically screwed. Long live the Google!

I'm guessing you quoted something I'm supposed to know there, but I can't quite put my finger on it. (Pulp Fiction? I haven't seen that movie yet.) Anyway, I enjoyed reading the debate. Cheers.
Posted by TheDarkMuffin 4 years ago
TheDarkMuffin
Yeah, I actually don't even like Microsoft.

If I'm to be classified as a consumer product fanboy in any capacity, I must say that I love Google. For the most part, I don't buy much, nor does it ever seem necessary to (thanks to AdBlock). Google tends to give me a lot of free sh*t. Not just any sh*t. It's that gourmet sh*t.
Posted by newbiehere 4 years ago
newbiehere
I use a MacBook, but dayumn, TheDarkMuffin is killing it here. Errr. Has killed it? Bazinga kinda rested his case.
Posted by TheDarkMuffin 4 years ago
TheDarkMuffin
Actually, everyone just ignore that comment just now. Or not. I don't know if I care right now. I'm too fatigued by my daily events.
Posted by TheDarkMuffin 4 years ago
TheDarkMuffin
I know the first and second half of my second round don't have a relationship an abundance of people would call "segmented," but I actually wrote the first part this afternoon, then I had to go to a play where I play multiple characters. I dealt with a lot of chaos, some moron quit the Show 20 minutes before we lifted curtains, and everything really left me exhausted. But, that's personal stuff that has no relevance to the debate.

Of course, it's not an excuse. It's simply an explanation. I'm exhausted. I'm simply acknowledging the contrast before someone else does. The Lampshade Advantage, they call that. In debate. And media.

That also has nothing to do with the debate.
Posted by IAmTheMasterDebater 4 years ago
IAmTheMasterDebater
Microsoft is better than Apple because it is more user friendly, especially when it comes to computers. The microsoft computers are more accesible than apple and have more abilities and applications are able to run on microsoft computers. Also Apple overprices all there products because they can get away with it because there buyers believe that it costs that much to build one.
Posted by BAZINGA0802 4 years ago
BAZINGA0802
More difficult to use is depending on who uses it, I have used both and I personally would choose apple. As for the CD drive you can get an adapter VERY cheaply ("1-3) And with all the apps you can get pre-installed and downloaded, there is a lot more variety.
Vote Placed by newbiehere 4 years ago
newbiehere
BAZINGA0802TheDarkMuffinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was a liiiiiittle bit condescending, but I actually chuckled while reading his rebuttals, so I'm going to call conduct a tie. Con actually used caps where appropriate. Con was much more thorough and convincing, and laid out his side of the debate very nicely. Con cited sources.