MauraMax
TheCommonMan

Whether or not college athletes should get paid

TheCommonMan
Started: 4/23/2014 Category: Sports

MauraMax

Pro

Yes, college athletes should be paid. If it weren't for them, their college would be making no money from games. Them getting paid will help to make up for their lack of not being able to get a part-time job during that particular sports season.
TheCommonMan

Con

I accept. Since my opponent hasn't set any rules for the debate and my opponent used somewhat of an argument, I will also post an argument. For times sake, I will post an argument I made from another debate I have had on this subject.
For this round, I will only show my arguments to be fair.

Argument Number One:

Many people claim that college athletes deserve to be paid. However, they are already receiving thousands of dollars that cover their tuition, fees, and room and board. Most college athletes get a large scholarship or perhaps even a full scholarship to the school where they play their sport. Plus, they receive special dining benefits. They are already receiving tuition discounts that many non-athletes have to pay themselves. They are essentially already being paid, which means that a salary for playing a sport should not exist.

Argument Number Two:

When you go to college, the college isn't there for you; you are there for the college. The primary objective of going to a college is to get a higher education and learn things that will help you get into the career field of your choice. You should not be paid to go to college, simply because you play a sport. An education is payment enough.

Argument Number Three:

Sports are a huge part of college extracurricular activities. However, there are other types of extracurricular activities in college. There are various clubs, honor societies, and organizations in college. While paying college athletes to play sports would benefit the athletes, it would also be unfair to people in other clubs/organizations that work just as hard as athletes, but still wouldn't be paid. Therefore, to keep things fair, college athletes should not be paid.

Argument Number Four:

Most colleges are non-for-profit, meaning that all money that the college takes in goes back into investing in the school (programs, paying professors, etc.). Of course, paying student athletes would take up a large chunk of the money that colleges can spend in any given year. That would potentially cause clubs, organizations, classes, majors, and other things to be cut. The cost of paying student athletes is greater than the gain from paying student athletes. Therefore, paying athletes wouldn't be wise economically.

Conclusion:

I have given four solid reasons why paying a salary to college athletes isn't a good idea.
MauraMax

Pro

MauraMax forfeited this round.
TheCommonMan

Con

Extend all arguments.
MauraMax

Pro

MauraMax forfeited this round.
TheCommonMan

Con

Extend all arguments. I would like to thank my opponent and everyone who took the time to read this.
Posted by TheCommonMan 3 years ago
TheCommonMan
@Dishoungh

"Extend all arguments" is something that can be said when there is nothing else to say in a debate. If an opponent doesn't say anything else (which in this case, my opponent didn't), you can just say that phrase and that means that everything you said before still stands. It's really helpful in forfeit debates.
Posted by Dishoungh 3 years ago
Dishoungh
What do you mean when you say "Extend all arguments?"
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
MauraMaxTheCommonManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by Dishoungh 3 years ago
Dishoungh
MauraMaxTheCommonManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited the last two rounds. Never forfeit in a debate. NEVER