Which Doctor is the best Doctor?

Well hello there and welcome to this challenge. Of course I would usually present this argument with a Doctor in mind but as a show of faith I will allow the contender to pick his own Doctor first.

The burden of proof lies in both of us so we both have to prove our Doctor is the best Doctor.

First round is for acceptance and for stating the name of your Doctor.

I don't mind intelligent words or bad grammar as long as your arguments are valid and make sense :)
If harrypotterfantng does not accept this challenge it is free to anyone else.

Thank you so much for giving me first dibs! No one has challenged me to a debate before. I am touched. This should be fun, especially because this is kind of my territory. I could rant about this stuff for hours!

AnyWHO, I think it is obvious which Doc I'm going for; Mr. Tom Baker's Doctor, the fourth Doctor.

Good luck!

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. although personally my favourite Doctor is Paul MacGann I will argue that overall David Tennant is the best Doctor as shown by the fans and other facts.

I acknowledge that there is no contest when it comes to special effects because of time difference so I will only mention them if they enhance the performance of the Tenth.

1. Tom Baker provided the foundations of a strong Doctor and David Tennant used these foundations and more to become the best Doctor:

I of course do not believe that Tom Baker as a bad actor, quite the opposite in fact, Russell T Davies stated that Tom's acting during Doctor Who was "extraordinary". But I do not believe that the Doctor portrayed by Baker is superior to David Tennant's Doctor for several reasons. Tom Baker was considered a comedic Doctor during his reign in Doctor Who and made the jelly baby famous but although Tom was comedic and full of wit David had all this and more as he depicts a darker side to the Doctor when necessary as well as making the fans laugh throughout the series.

David Tennant brings a world of joy to both his companions and the audience as the Doctor flies through time and space, running this way and that. If it were any other Doctor their acting may cause the audience to overlook the companions and extras in the series. This is not so with David Tennants acting.
When David Tennant acts he enhances the performance as a whole, although Baker's acting was brilliant he often seemed to become the centre of the show while also taking the eyes of the audience off his companions. David Tennant's acting enhances the entire show instead of his own part in it as his enthusiasm, charisma and comedic wits engage his new companions and allies into the overall plot.

The fact that special effects has become enhanced over the years is uncontested. However the special effects of today are often the failure of actors that either cannot act without a physical world in front of them or rely too much on the CGI and lose their acting credibility as a result.
David Tennant does not fall under the CGI trap and acts brilliantly during scenes where he was only talking in front of a green screen. It takes true skill to be able to act in front of a person and a camera, but it takes better skill to act in front of a screen and still achieve the quality of acting David Tennant does during his scenes.

David Tennant portrays a darker side to the Doctor as I have stated before. Although Baker was comedic at times he seemed too invincible to be in true danger and his type of acting did not impact the audience as much as David does when he acts horrified.
Throughout his job David acted as a Doctor who was not only hopeful and energetic but also sad, depressed, at times in despair because of his helplessness in front of enemies that he could not face and people he could not save.
Another part of David's acting that helps him relate to the audience is his clear disgust of violence and violent acts. Baker had no hesitation in killing an alien being if it was to save himself and mankind (e.g the Rutan) but David adds realism by mourning those who die, both alien and human. This aids in connecting the audience to the Doctor in ways that Tom Baker never did.
Tom Baker has wits, humor and action but David brings a certain charm, charisma, sadness and despair that was never truly explored in Tom's era. The humor and wit are still there as they are a key part of Doctor Who (partly due to Tom Baker) but the areas of emotion and depth not seen in Tom's era have been used and explored to their great success by David and Russell.

2. Tom Baker did win every Doctor Who magazine popularity contest until David Tennant came in. In 2006 and 2009 Tom Baker lost his place

As we know Tom Baker is considered one of the greatest Doctors of all time, this is not just because of his acting but also because Doctor Who magazine proved so by voting on the best Doctor. Fans from all over Britain voted on the polls and Baker won every one of them... until David came and knocked him off his throne. It is not the first time this has happened but the fact that David won the popularity contest the first year he came in is an outstanding achievement.
David showed audiences a deeper, more meaningful Doctor and they replied by stating that David was the best Doctor as voted by the fans.

Tom Baker is indeed an amazing Doctor but David has everything he has and more. Whilst Tom has wit, humor and action not seen before in his times, it was only a matter of time before these traits were taken in by another Doctor and improved and expanded upon. Neither Doctor was only about the wit and humor but David showed audiences a type of acting that enhanced not just the Doctor but also his companions, allies, villains and the show itself. This was recognised by the public as they voted him as the best doctor during 2006 and 2009.

Yes, I agree that David Tennant is a brilliant actor, but I do not think that the Doctor he portrayed is superior to the Doctor Tom Baker played as you believe the other way around.

You say that "Tom was comedic and full of wit David had all this and more as he depicts darker side to the Doctor when necessary as well as making the fans laugh throughout the series". The Fourth Doctor was not always just funny; he could have a darker side as well. For example, a quote from 'Genesis of the Daleks' (Sorry for having no clip of it. I couldn't find one of the whole thing):

[the Fourth Doctor is holding the ends of two wires connected to the explosives he has set up in the Dalek incubator room]

Sarah Jane: Well, what are you waiting for?

Doctor: Just touch these two strands together and the Daleks are finished. Have I that right?

Sarah Jane: To destroy the Daleks? You can't doubt it.

Doctor: Well, I do. You see, some things could be better with the Daleks. Many future worlds will become allies just because of their fear of the Daleks.

Sarah Jane: But it isn't like that.

Doctor: But the final responsibility is mine, and mine alone. Listen, if someone who knew the future pointed out a child to you and told you that that child would grow up totally evil, to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives, could you then kill that child?

Sarah Jane: We're talking about the Daleks, the most evil creatures ever invented. You must destroy them! You must complete your mission for the Time Lords!

Doctor: Do I have the right? Simply touch one wire against the other and that's it. The Daleks cease to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear, in peace, and never even know the word Dalek.

Sarah Jane: Then why wait? If it was a disease or some sort of bacteria you were destroying, you wouldn't hesitate.

Doctor Who: But if I kill, wipe out a whole intelligent life form, then I become like them. I'd be no better than the Daleks.

The special efects of today's television, I believe, can often save a bad actor from ruining a film or television show instead of being the failure of them. The way I look at it, special effects mask bad acting because it takes the audience's attention away from the acting and instead makes them think, "Who cares if this actor is terrible. Look at all the effects!" Now, I am not making this point to say that Tennant is a bad actor. I am making it to show that Baker's Doctor still got all the attention he got even without all the CGI effects that the latest episodes have had.

Also, it's been over thirty years since the Fourth Doctor was around, and he is still just as popular if not more popular than the Doctor's other regenerations. It is still to early to tell if Tennant will be just as popular thirty years from now, but I believe that Baker's Doctor will still be just as loved by his fans even after sixty years have gone by since his time.

I will have to forfeit this debate unfortunately, for the next few days I will be unable to post any responses as I am going camping for a week. This has been a fun debate (although undeveloped) I apologise profusely and hope that one day we can debate about Doctor Who again :) New season on the 30th!!!!! :DDD

Oh, well. Thanks again for challenging me, anyway. Perhaps when you are back we can start a new one. If only there was a way to pause the debate until you get back. Have fun, anyway!

I can't wait for the 30th!

SevenWarriors1 forfeited this round.

I forfeit this round.
Posted by erost07 3 years ago
Are we really arguing on who the best doctor is??? We are doctor who fanatics!!!!! Why argue on amazing actors??????? DOCTOR WHO IS AMAZING!!!
Posted by SevenWarriors1 3 years ago
This is Doctor Who :P That's why we're debating :)
Posted by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
What about Dr. Who?
Posted by Randizzle4545 3 years ago
I agree, I love the 10th doctors realization of he's the last timelord and can do anything he wants while controlling time itself.
Vote Placed by Xerge 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Pro