Music_Lover2615
sputnick1

Which Is better? Rock or Country? (From a musical standpoint)

Started: 3/29/2015 Category: Music

Music_Lover2615

Pro

My argument is that, from a musicians stand point, Rock music is better. Pop, rap, country, etc. are simple and basic. Mostly done on a computer and contains simple rhythms that require very little to no musical talent. They mostly contain 1 or 2 cord variations that are repeated over and over and over throughout the entire song, while rock musicians are constantly pushing the musical boundaries with complicated pieces and phenomenal drummers and guitarists. There isn't a country or pop artist out there with more talent than Joe Satriani or Eddie Van Halen. Or a genre with a drummer who can play with 5fdp or a7x. Rock musicians have heart. You have to feel the music. You have to be passionate. It's not music if there's no passion. Look at a piece of sheet music... Pop and country is way too simple. It puts me to sleep playing it. Rock and classical however.. I could play that all day and not get bored. It's complicated and gives me a challenge. I can read any form of sheet music and understand music from a very deep, technical level. I play 7 instruments. And in all my time as a musician, I have never found another genre that surpasses rock or classical music in the aspect of true musicianship.
sputnick1

Con

While I do like Rock better, from a musicians standpoint, country is the genre you are more likely to be successful in therefore making it "better for you as a musician". You cannot put a objective standard on music because music and all arts are subjective. You and I may like the complexity of rock but others may like the lack of good melody or rhythm and the simplicity of country.

Math:

The number of rock albums sold were 85 250 000 in 2014. 273 albums were produced in that same year.
So to find the sales for the average rock album, I divided 85 250 000 by 273 and got 312 271 [rounded to nearest 1]
so the unit ratio is 312 271 sales/ 1 average rock album.

The number of country albums sold were 30 460 000 in 2014. 65 albums were produced in that same year.
So to find the sales for the average country album, I divided 30 460 000 by 65 and got 468 615 [ rounded to nearest 1]
so the unit ratio is 468 615 sales/ 1 average country album.

This proves that as a country musician you do less work [as you said] but sell more albums and make more money.

http://www.statista.com... [music sales by genre]
http://tasteofcountry.com... [list of country album releases in 2014]
http://ultimateclassicrock.com... [list of rock album releases in 2014]
Music_Lover2615

Pro

Music_Lover2615 forfeited this round.
sputnick1

Con

I extend my argument to round 2.
Music_Lover2615

Pro

Music_Lover2615 forfeited this round.
sputnick1

Con

sputnick1 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheLordOfDebate 1 year ago
TheLordOfDebate
I certainly think that Rock music is MUCH better than country, and not just because it sounds better (which it does, I can't stand country), but also because it encourages people to have fun.