Sonofcharl
CosmoJarvis

Which came first. The chicken or the egg.

CosmoJarvis

Sonofcharl

Pro

Con can choose which side of the argument they wish to debate.
5 open rounds. With a bit of conclusion at the end.
CosmoJarvis

Con

Alrighty. I will defend the side of the egg coming first.
I will post my main argument next round. Good luck, pro.

By the way, might I suggest a sort of format for the debate?

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Main Argument
Round 3: Extra points for the argument/ Rebuttals
Round 4: More Rebuttals (no new information)
Round 5: Even more rebuttals, and a conclusion (no new information)

Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor...
Sonofcharl

Pro

Hello Cosmojarvis.

I will try and stick to your format. Though my arguments tend to be short and sweet.

Hope I am not too succinct for you.

Pro would argue:
The chicken became the chicken when man/woman first named it chicken.

Of course it's possible that the egg was the first to be regarded. But pro would suggest that the chicken was more likely to have been spotted first.
CosmoJarvis

Con

Outline
I. Introduction
II. Eggs
III. Sources

I. Introduction

"Which came first? The egg or the chicken?" is a funny riddle meant to stump the mind. Many believe it is something that can never be solved because, to create an egg, you must have a chicken, but to create a chicken, you must have an egg.

Science, however, has found the answer to this riddle once and for all! It was the egg that came first.

II. Eggs

The first beings we refer to as chickens likely came into existence around 7,000 BC (S1). However, scientists have found that egg-laying organisms existed far before the existence of chickens.

Scientists came upon a rare, fossilized dinosaur nest with eggs along a shoreside. It was theorized (likely through carbon dating) that the eggs existed for over 77 million years ago. The eggs were preserved likely by being stuck in mud, undisturbed for so long.

"But interpreted literally, the answer to the riddle is clear. Dinosaurs were forming bird-like nests and laying bird-like eggs long before birds (including chickens) evolved from dinosaurs," claims Darla Zelenitsky, a paleontologist of the University of Calgary in Alberta (S2).

III. Sources

S1) http://quatr.us...

S2) http://www.livescience.com...
Sonofcharl

Pro

Ok. You've got a 77million year old egg in a nest.

So obviously there was a 77 million and 1 year old egg layer kicking about somewhere.

And ok. You've got dinosaurs forming bird like nests and laying eggs.

Darla Zalenitsky says it all.

There was a dinosaur, it then formed a nest and then it laid an egg.

Dinosaur first..........Then the egg.

Riddle solved! .......... Nice one Darla.
CosmoJarvis

Con

So... no rebuttal?
Sonofcharl

Pro

Apologies.

But I'm not much of a formalist when it comes to debating. Though I would regard my previous round as almost pure rebuttal.

Don't let's get dragged down into debating the semantics of debating.

Was there a god egg? ........ Perhaps immaculately conceived. That gave rise to all egg laying species.

Or were the first eggs formed in the "Big Bang"

I suppose it depends on whether you're a creationist or an evolutionist.

Me. I try not to be a labelist. Though I might consider myself a realist.

Realistically. I might suggest a creation event succeeded by an evolutionary period.

But hey! That's another debate.

Once upon a time. In the fermenting broth of organic inception, there were single cell organisms. To reproduce they just split themslves into two.

Move evolution forward a year or two million and these single cell organisms, eventually decided that rather than going through the upheaval of splitting into two. They would instead, create a small package of matter and information inside themselves, which they would emit, to grow independently into a new single cell organism. etc. etc.

The very first egg like event.

Pro asserts that. Eggs cannot just be. They have to be produced by an egg layer in succession to a conceptual event.
CosmoJarvis

Con

Pro does not prove that chickens came before the egg.
Sonofcharl

Pro

A debate is a debate.

The riddle is probably unsolvable.

Con. Only proffers Darla's theory. But Darla's theory states that a dinosaur built a nest and then laid an egg. Clearly
implying that the egg layer came first.

At the outset. Pro hoped that Con would choose the opposite position. But Pro has successfully convinced himself that the chicken is the winner.

Let's see what the voters have to say.
CosmoJarvis

Con

(Pssst, pro, you don't have to regard yourself in the third person. You can just say "I am convinced that the chicken came first," instead of "Pro is convinced the chicken came first.")

To summarize my argument, because there have been discoveries that there were prehistoric eggs laid by dinosaurs that were conceived millions of years before the chicken, I can confidently come to the conclusion that it was in fact the egg that came before the chicken.

And thus concludes this debate.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 11 months ago
CosmoJarvis
Good debate.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Chicken = egg.. But the chicken will be the last "girl" standing.
Posted by Salvador_Dali135 1 year ago
Salvador_Dali135
But eggs come out of chickens. So before the chicken there were other animals, and before animals there were unicellular organisms. So the chicken came first.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
@HeyTheist Exactly. For example, there are dinosaur eggs which existed way before chickens did.
Posted by HeyTheist 1 year ago
HeyTheist
From an evolutionary perspective, eggs have been around for a lot longer than chickens have.
Posted by Instant-Gator 1 year ago
Instant-Gator
I would like to debate and wouldl argue that the chicken came first.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
chicken=egg
Vote Placed by DStallman 12 months ago
DStallman
SonofcharlCosmoJarvisTied
Reasons for voting decision: The point about the egg not being specifically a chicken egg was the most compelling to me.