Mino
beachgirl67

Which civilization had the most influence on today's modern society?

Mino

Pro

I say it was the Arab/Muslim civilization, because of many different inventions, but more so because of the basic concepts that were realized and so many inventions today are based off of, as well as the massive amount of information that was translated, recorded, and edited. What do you think?

I put my Position as Pro, but there is no pro or con here. I just want to debate with someone which was the most influential civilization.
beachgirl67

Con

I believe the Greek civilization had the most effect on modern society. English words have latin roots, which were first put in place by the Greeks. You can figure out the meaning of many english words just from their latin root, such as a solar system (Sol=sun) There are also many Latin sayings still used today, such as "A mari usque ad mare" Or "From sea to sea". Greek architecture has also had a great effect on the world, for they mastered the column and perfected the dome. Many capital buildings have these features worldwide, especially in the US. The US Capitol building is a great example. Great Greek mathematical thinkers such as Archimedes still influence many math formulas and concepts used commonly today. Greek poets like Homer and Aristophanes are talked about in modern literature and have influenced countless works worldwide. They also had a very influential democracy government, which inspired the modern American government we have today. Their mythology was vivid enough to produce stories people all the around the world still enjoy. They were also very interested in astrology and studied the sky and planets, something very advanced for their time. Of course, that fascination is still with us today. They were the first to make Zodiac symbols and study the stars, both of which is very popular still now. Their money was also very similar to modern coins. I could really go on and on.
Mino

Pro

Mino forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Con

Since my opponent has forfeited this round, I will not add any new information. I would like to know more on why he thinks the Arab/Muslim civilization had the most effect on modern society, but he choses not to elaborate.
Mino

Pro

Mino forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Con

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
Mino

Pro

Mino forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Con

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
Mino

Pro

Mino forfeited this round.
beachgirl67

Con

beachgirl67 forfeited this round.
Posted by Mino 1 year ago
Mino
I do...
Posted by beachgirl67 1 year ago
beachgirl67
Do you not wish to debate, Mino?
Posted by Mino 1 year ago
Mino
Not necessarily, just which civilization has had the biggest impact on our modern society today, whether it is negative or positive.
Posted by Sapphique 1 year ago
Sapphique
Just to clarify, is this debate about which ancient civilization had the most beneficial effect on the modern world?