RainbowDash52
Talonflamestar

Which game is more complex, Magic the Gathering or Yugioh?

RainbowDash52
Started: 4/11/2015 Category: Games

RainbowDash52

Pro

Debate Structure

Round 1:
No arguments.
Con picks which side to argue, and I will argue the opposite.

Round 2:
Arguments from both sides. No rebuttals from Con.

Round 3:
Rebuttals of round 2 arguments, and conclusion. No new arguments.

Additional rules:
Burden of proof is shared.

The exact definition of complex is up for debate, but definitions that are not applicable to the debate won't be accepted. (i.e. a definition of complex meaning a number that involves imaginary numbers, can't be used.)
Talonflamestar

Con

Yu Gi O is waaaaaaaaaay to complex
RainbowDash52

Pro

Turing Completeness

Magic the Gathering is Turing Complete[1], which means it can fully simulate a Turing machine just by following the rules of the game. The source explains in detail how Magic the Gathering is Turing complete.

For those unfamiliar with computational theory, a Turing machine is a hypothetical device capable of simulating ANY computer algorithm. [2]

So since the rules of Magic the Gathering can simulate any Turing Machine, and any computer algorithm can be simulated by Turing Machines, this means by following the rules of Magic the Gathering, you are capable of simulating anything that can be calculated by a computer. So this means that Magic the Gathering has equal to or greater than the complexity than anything else it can be compared to.

Is Yugioh turing complete? One component of a Turing Machine is a 'tape' , which Magic the Gathering implements by a series of any number of tokens being generated on the field. Yugioh's field has a strict 5 card limit for monster cards and for non-monster cards, unlike Magic the Gathering which can have any number of cards on the field, which prevents Yugioh from having an infinitely long tape like Magic the Gathering can. This makes it extremely doubtful that Yugioh will ever be proven to be Turing complete.

This means that Magic the Gathering is more complex than Yugioh from a computational standpoint.

Many parts definition

One definition of complexity is "composed of many interconnected parts; compound; composite" [3]

While Yugioh puts a limit on the number of cards you can have on the field, Magic the Gathering does not. This results in Magic the Gathering being able to have more cards in play at once. Also land cards in Magic the Gathering stay on the field and are rarely removed once on the field, so several of them build up over time, ensuring that will be several cards in play at once. Also, with more land, you will be able to play more creatures. And more cards in play at once means there are more interconnected parts within the game, making Magic the Gather better fitting this definition of complex too.

Summary
Both the computational compexity and many parts complexity definition show that Magic the Gathering is the more complex. Both of these definitions are valid as it relates to these games, and in addition, they can be objectively measured. Computational complexity can be measured by how many things it can compute (such as a Turing machine can objectively compute more algorithms than a finite stat machine). And the amount of interconnected parts can be objectively measured, by counting them.

Conclusion: Magic the Gathering is objectively more complex than Yugioh.

sources cited
[1] http://www.toothycat.net...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://dictionary.reference.com...

sources for rules referenced
http://yugioh.wikia.com...
http://mtg.wikia.com...
Talonflamestar

Con

Talonflamestar forfeited this round.
RainbowDash52

Pro

Since this round is for rebuttals, and my opponent failed to give an argument for me to rebuttal, I must pass this round.

As a reminder for the judges, due to the debate structure, my opponent can't make original arguments in his last round, and can only do rebuttals.
Talonflamestar

Con

Talonflamestar forfeited this round.
Posted by natch 6 months ago
natch
i like both but since this is not about likes but toughness of play-ability it depends.

I started playing yugi about a week ago and its confusing because of the diffrent abiliteis and I am unsure the way to actually play the deck I have borrowed from my freind but same is for magic you can utterly screw yourself with playing a deck wrong.

My ultimate descoin:
Magic has more components=More confusing
Yugi just have to figure out the basic summoning and attack as much as you can with higher cards till one of you are dead :)
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
Talonflamestar is unfit for debate.org, as he/she always forfeits Round 2 onward.
Posted by gabep 2 years ago
gabep
From a point of which is more complex, I would say Magic. That does not mean that it is more fun. I've played both, and I would say that Yugioh is more entertaining. Both are still pretty fun though.
Posted by gabep 2 years ago
gabep
Posted by gabep 2 years ago
gabep
Vote Placed by Kozu 2 years ago
Kozu
RainbowDash52TalonflamestarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is met with deafening silence after explaining the complexity of MtG and it's comparability to turing machines. The simple fact that you play with more cards on the field makes MtG even more complex. Con breaks under this reality and FF his remaining rounds.