joetheripper117
lord_megatron

Which is a superior gaming system? PC(Pro) or console(Con)?

joetheripper117
Started: 4/17/2015 Category: Games

joetheripper117

Pro

I will be arguing for the point that PC is the superior way to play game video games, while the opponent will be arguing that any console (It is Con's choice which console) is the superior way to play video games. Burden of proof is shared. First round is to accept only. Best of luck to Con in advance.
lord_megatron

Con

I am just taking any console in general, but I have played on X-box, Ps3 and X-box Kinect, so I'll be focusing more on those. Console has better quality gaming and graphics according to me, and some hyperactive PC game just cause my mouse to break which rendered my whole laptop useless.
joetheripper117

Pro

I will be arguing 8 points as to why PC is the superior way to game.
1. Customization:
Unlike consoles, when buying a PC, there are several choices regarding the type of PC you buy. You can buy a vast array of different PC's with very different specs, allowing you to choose the PC that fits your needs the best. For an even vaster array of customization, you can build your own PC, handpicking every part to be just as you want it to be.

2. Performance:
Generally speaking, a desktop PC will outperform a similarly priced console in most respects (although I will concede that many laptops do not outperform similarly priced consoles). This enhanced performance will lead to greater immersion, which will lead to a more fun experience while playing a game.
Source: http://wccftech.com...

3. Superior Indie gaming market:
To put it simply, the vast majority of indie games are never released on consoles, and thus remain PC "exclusives". Indie games tend to put interesting spins on tired genres of games, and thus enhance the gaming experience for PC.

4. Up-gradable Hardware:
When a PC gets old and it's performance starts to become less adequate, you can simply replace the most inadequate parts and the entire PC will function like new. Compare this to consoles, where for the most part, the only way to improve the performance is to buy a newer console entirely.

5. Steam:
Due to the existence of Steam and other similar services, the prices of PC games tend to be far better then that of the exact same games on console. This is due to very frequent sales on these sites which can lower any game's price by a massive amount.

6. Modding Community:
The amount of PC modders in the community is astounding. They constantly churn out new content for games that you have already purchased that can massively increase the time it takes to get bored of the game, as well as improve the experience an incredibly amount.

7. Backwards Compatibility:
Unlike on most consoles, games on PC are almost always backwards compatible, meaning that a PC gamer can play far more old games on their PC then a console gamer can on their console.

8. No Extra Internet Payments:
On the 2 most popular next gen consoles (Xbox1 and PS4) you are required to pay a relatively large sum of money at the end of the year to be able to play on line. This is not the case with PC, as PC allows you to play online gaming without any additional charge.
lord_megatron

Con

Well pc has quite some disadvantages when gaming.
1. Battery- Consoles can just be plugged in, but PC battery run out quickly. True, you can carry your laptop, but also heated CPU makes it uncomfortable to hold for long.
2. Quality games- While PC has a lot more variety than console games, most console games have more quality with great graphics, speed and controls. Some PC games have potential but too many keys to press makes me throw them away.
3. Speed- Don't tell me your PC never hangs or crashes. Although some consoles are slow, mostly the games run smoother than PC. Also, most of the PC games have a tremendous load time.
4. Controls- The keyboard and mouse combo of PC has been a bit of a problem at times for some games which demand quicker action. On the other hand, consoles just have one controller per player, which is easier once you get the hang of it.
5. Local Multi-player- Most PC games don't support 2 players playing on the same device, and my internet often lags. On the other hand, local multi-player is great for consoles, with none of the usual lag or load time and only gaming.
6. Data- While online gaming is free on PC, offline gaming is a different situation. Larger games take more time to download, and can cause PC to lag. In console you can just put the CD in, and although PC CD's are same, they take more time to load than on a console.
7. Graphics- Console has far better graphics than PC games.
8. Action games- I am not sure why, but somehow PC action games just don't strike that much as on the consoles.

Anyways, I find mobile gaming even better than both of these.
joetheripper117

Pro

Rebuttals:
"1. Battery- Consoles can just be plugged in, but PC battery run out quickly. True, you can carry your laptop, but also heated CPU makes it uncomfortable to hold for long."
All PC's can be plugged into the wall, regardless of whether they are laptops or desktops, can be plugged into the wall so that they charge quicker then they lose power, in the same way that your consoles can. I have yet to see a PC that you cannot plug into a wall, and doubt that any are currently being produced.

"2. Quality games- While PC has a lot more variety than console games, most console games have more quality with great graphics, speed and controls. Some PC games have potential but too many keys to press makes me throw them away."
The vast majority of games put onto consoles are also put onto PC's, and as I have previously pointed out, PC's outperform equivalent consoles when it comes to fps and graphical fidelity. I will get to your issue with the controls shortly.

"3. Speed- Don't tell me your PC never hangs or crashes. Although some consoles are slow, mostly the games run smoother than PC. Also, most of the PC games have a tremendous load time."
As a former console p[layer, my games crashed occasionally, but i would be a lier if I did not acknowledge the fact that PCs do crash a slight amount more then consoles. Me and my PC gaming friends have failed to find a significant issue with hanging. Regarding the "tremendous load time", I have already pointed out that PCs outperform equivalent consoles in almost every way, processing speed is better on PCs, therefore load times will usually be better.

"4. Controls- The keyboard and mouse combo of PC has been a bit of a problem at times for some games which demand quicker action. On the other hand, consoles just have one controller per player, which is easier once you get the hang of it."
As a major PC player, I prefer the mouse and keyboard, but can see why you would prefer the controller. Unlike consoles though, PC gives you a choice as to which control system you want to use. Want to use a controller on PC? Download an emulator and plug the controller in. It's that easy.

"5. Local Multi-player- Most PC games don't support 2 players playing on the same device, and my internet often lags. On the other hand, local multi-player is great for consoles, with none of the usual lag or load time and only gaming."
I completely disagree with you. If you have a group of friends come over with their own computers, you can play incredibly fast loading local multi-player with no lag or issues that you wouldn't find in single player. I will acknowledge that you made a good point regarding the fact that for the most part, you can only play with one player on each PC, so long as you do not download a bunch of emulators.

"6. Data- While online gaming is free on PC, offline gaming is a different situation. Larger games take more time to download, and can cause PC to lag. In console you can just put the CD in, and although PC CD's are same, they take more time to load than on a console."
I have already gone over the fact that an equivalent PC outperforms a console in almost every way, load time would be BETTER on a PC, not worse. And as you already said, you can just use a CD for PC as well as console.

"7. Graphics- Console has far better graphics than PC games."
This is simply a false statement. As I have shown above, an equivalent PC will outperform a console in performance. The contrary to the original statement is true, PC graphics are superior to console graphics! Not vice-versa!

"8. Action games- I am not sure why, but somehow PC action games just don't strike that much as on the consoles."
If you aren't sure why you are making a point, then why are you making it? In a debate setting, saying that one is just better without providing evidence is useless.

"Anyways, I find mobile gaming even better than both of these."
I apologize, but I fail to see how this is relevant to the debate.

Well, it seems as though I have done my part, I wish Con the best of luck in his rebuttals.
lord_megatron

Con

How is a PC faster than a X-box? And the graphics are far better, seriously just try playing on the big screen.
The online connectivity of PC has a big disadvantage with me. Heavy files take the 'tremendous load time' that I mentioned. Most of the good PC games online take lot of data, so it really doesn't go well. Console doesn't have the same issues.
Controls- You can download an emulator, but even that would take time downloading and setting up. Plus not all PC games support controllers. As for the mouse and keyboard, I shall give the example of some games like Red Crucible 2 and Uber Strike. They use mouse for aiming and shooting and keyboard for movement/specials. Each time I need to shoot, I first need to move in position, get my hand on the mouse, aim and fire, during which the enemy killed me 2 times over. In the controller, the close proximity of buttons makes it easier.
Local Multi-Player- That way you can get a bunch of consoles as well. It can also help tag-team tournaments, and co-ordination will be better when the ally is nearby rather than only in chat.
Action Games- Come on this is not an exam I can write whatever I want.
Anyways in X-Box Kinect action games are awesome as they actually sense your motion for different attacks, adding a more realistic and fun effect.
Quality Games- A PC has a smaller screen, so that counts. The game runs faster on my X-box than my PC, so that is what I am basing it on. PC games large variety have led me to play bad and boring games, so I trust my console which hasn't let me down so far.
Maybe we can have next debate on mobile gaming.
Posted by Hud4 2 years ago
Hud4
Pc is the best
Posted by Opulence 2 years ago
Opulence
It is almost impossible for Pro to lose. I'm interested to see the rules about bang for buck, & exclusivity.
Posted by cha-the-politician 2 years ago
cha-the-politician
I will only accept if I you agree to only use PCs available on the market (don't have to build) and has a similar price point as the console I choose. (+/-50USD) If you do, notify me and I will debate with you. If you don't, I actually agree with your point. You can build a PC or buy a gaming PC and upgrade it and TADA, you got something that beats every console in history.
Posted by gabep 2 years ago
gabep
I wholeheartedly agree with Pro. This should be interesting.
Vote Placed by gabep 2 years ago
gabep
joetheripper117lord_megatronTied
Reasons for voting decision: Many of Con's arguments are simply untrue, and it appears that he did not do his research. For example, he stated that a PC's battery drains quickly. However, all PCs can be plugged into the power, and this is required for desktops. The second misconception is that console games are of higher quality than PC games. This is simply untrue. Many PC-only games, such as Arma 3, are of higher quality than their console-based competitors.