JamesTeranov
visheshk

Which is better: Halo or Call of Duty

JamesTeranov
Started: 6/30/2015 Category: Games

JamesTeranov

Pro

An overall general introduction

Halo.
Why?
Simple really...

The story. very deep, engaging and emotional story that spawned many novels to make a truly unique and engaging universe. Everything connects.
Plus the multiplayer which is more skilled based and balanced that MLG played the most.
Plus the nostalgic award winning soundtrack. Audio is everything.
And extra content (Forge, Custom Games, Theater, Firefight, Spartan Ops, Red Vs Blue, Forward Unto Dawn, Halo Legends, Arby 'n' the Chief, Best Vehicular Controls in any FPS etc,)
Balanced and skill based multiplayer witch caters for the hardcore MLG players (Team S.W.A.T, MLG, Team Doubles etc. playlists) and casual gamers (Social Big Team, Griffball, Forge and custom games etc.)
Great and solid gameplay - sandbox battles (not just a corridor shooter), vehicles, amazing unpredictable A.I. etc.

Part 2 campaign maybe?
visheshk

Con

Good day, Jamesteranov. I will be Rebutting your arguments on this topic. Call of Duty is a much better game. why exactly?

Call of duty is a much bigger franchise. A new Call of duty is more exciting news for gamers all over the world than a new Halo. Call of Duty's storyline is more impressive and better told than Halo. Halo is basically aliens and monsters, while Call of duty takes a more serious story, wars where people go to serve. Owning both Call of Duty and Halo myself, I can definitely say Call of duty was a much more enjoyable experience than my time playing Halo!
JamesTeranov

Pro

Hello to you too, I beg to differ. I am first going to say why Halo's campaign is better and then after i'm going to refute SOME of the outrageously moronic statements you have made. Some of them are ok.

1) Why Halo has the better campaign/story.

Why Halo's campaign/story is much better than call of duties plus why having a continuous storyline and spin-off storylines all within and connected to the same lore of the universe is better:

It is widely known having an epic expansive lore about a games universe draws people into a game. Games that have this lore are stories usually told over many games and connects everything together. Everyone knows franchises like Mass Effect, Half Life, Skyrim, Fallout etc are better than your stand alone franchise like Battlefield, Rainbow Six and cod etc.. These games are are at the top of the list of games last generation and usually have novels, graphic novels and such written about it's universe BECAUSE it's so engaging. Mass Effect has it's graphic novels and Halo has not just novels but New York Best sellers (Highest accolade for a novel). With the backstories created by these novels ENRICHES the universe further and is brought into future games.
Cod has nothing. Don't get me wrong cods campaign is good great actually but it is no Halo and is not in the same category. It's mediocre. It is widely known that cod's campaign is a one play-trough type of thing and everyone just goes to the multiplayer.

Now onto gameplay in the campaign. All cod is an arcade corridor shooter. Meaning it has a step by step constricted gameplay. Shoot in hallways and rooms (which is not bad) BUT that is all cod is and it gets very boring and bland very quick (hence the one time play-trough), Even the vehicle sections (if you can call them that) you are on a restricted path. Oh and nearly forgot the enemy A.I. is horribly predictable in cod. They spawn in the same play, usually walk to the same place, pop up in the same window etc.

Halo on the other hand has a lot more variety. You can do everything cod does plus more. Not only is Halo a corridor shooter it is a sandbox shooter too (Large open battles areas). No two battles is alike. Halo is known for it's infamous "30 seconds of fun"... ergo every 30 secs something new happens.
Go in all guns blazing
Stay back and snipe
or in Co-op do them both
Use a vehicle warthog with your co-op as driver/gunner Use a mongoose/Ghost/ Wraith/ Banshee
Sandbox Battles (wide open spaces) Many, Many different ways to advance and attack using strategies applied while""" playing with a brother or friend etc.
Halo: CE's enemy A.I is one of the best A.I. in any game and still does. They change things up. They flank you. They run away if their leader is dead etc.

Lastly SKULLS. You get skulls to change the gameplay up = more playtime. LASO anyone??

Oh wait I almost forgot. Sound design and audio is amazing, nostalgic and award winning. Audio IS everything in the entertainment medium from movies to games. It creates emotions. No doubt Halo beats cod in that category. When you think of music in games Halo will always be mentioned.

Now lets look at videos on youtube ranking the best stories - if one or both are mentioned:

1) https://www.youtube.com... (Halo is mentioned - Cod isn't)
2) https://www.youtube.com...
3) https://www.youtube.com...

Side note: have you not seen that the majority of games with real narratives are one with a unrealistic element where they fight aliens, robots, zombies etc.
If come across any with cod mentioned or if both are mentioned which came first in the list please share.
I mean the only real reoccurring games with great stories that you fight other people are GTA series, Metal Gear, AssASINS Creed. COMPARED TO Mass effect, Half Life, Gears of war, God of war, Halo, Fallout, KOTOR, Walking dEAD, Last of Us and Bioshock.

2. EXTRA:: My rebuttal to your argument:

a) "Call of duty is a much bigger franchise. A new Call of duty is more exciting news for gamers all over the world than a new Halo."

Of course it is. It's a multi-platform game..ergo wider audience. So more people would be more excited.
It has nothing to do with the in game mechanics. Yes cod does draw more people since it it multi-platform and it's noob friendly but how does that make it but that does not make it better. It would be very fair to use 'popularity' mainly because halo isn't on multiple gaming platforms.. but if you to look at that well then give Halo credit for being pitted against cod yet cod has a wide audience.

Sales & popularity doesn't mean good necessarily. Look at Justin Beiber for example.
Its mainly cause of the youth of the gaming community. More younger children are wanting the game that is NEW. Cod is NEW every year. They want to get what everyone else has.
Plus its a Multiplatform game aka Wider Audience
There is a reason why COD is so popular. Because it's a noob friendly game that requires literally NO skill
Very few kids would pick a game with an epic nostalgic story that requires more effort over an noob friendly arcade shooter.
My point is: Popularity does not define quality. Although COD is more approachable to the majority due to its simplicity, Halo is definitely a more well made game.

Saying that, Halo 3 launch was one of the biggest if not the biggest launch for any game in history. I believe GTA 5 is equal. Many of the cod fans were so young that they didn't play Halo in it's prime.

b) "Call of Duty's storyline is more impressive and better told than Halo"

Ha. sorry but that is hilarious on it's own. Here look the cods campaign are good and a few above average like Black Ops 1 and MW1 (The only great cods in my opinion). Better told? i'm sorry but defiantly not. Think about it the writers of Halo had most of the story basically told before the production of Halo:CE started. Think about it. The development time in halo takes 34 even 5 years to make (more time to expand on the story, polish the game etc.) vs a game that writes a whole new story for a sequel in the span of 1-1.5 years.
Halo was a trilogy after all, It follows the events. So the characters you come to love are carried out over more than one game is better for the emotional story.

c) "wars where people go to serve"

I don't know what that means. Does it mean soldiers serving their countries in a fictional story sometimes based on real wars but still a fictional story nonetheless. Marines are serving the UNSC for the benefit of mankind from extinction (yes fictional but an excellent story nonetheless).
If you are talking about realism. I say f**k realism, excuse the language but has to be said. I can elaborate on this later on if you want but should kick on with this.

d) "Halo is basically aliens and monsters,"

So what if it is. I have no idea how having aliens in a game makes for a bad game or fighting against soldiers. I mean if we look back at the great games of our time, Half-Life, Fallout 3, Gears of War, God of War, Shadow of the colossus, Doom, Borderlands etc. all have aliens and monsters in it and they don't get penalised for it. In fact they are rewarded as the best game of last generation.

e) "call of duty takes a more serious story"

It's a story.. a serious story I don't think so. It depends on what you mean by serious.
(Halo has deep story from the religious zelots, the fraction doubting the covenants religiousness, humanity on the brink of annihilation, the emotional engaging story between Cortana and the chief, Sgt. Johnson and the chief and the arbiter and the chief. The Halo's story is so engaging that it spawned many novels and in turn enriches the universe.)

f) "I can definitely say Call of duty was a much more enjoyable experience than my time playing Halo!"

Although I respect your opinion. That is it.. your opinion.

Why Halo is more fun to me:
I have a much more enjoyable experiences playing with my brother in Co-op back in days of Halo: CE, Halo 2, Halo 3. Mowing down covies in a warthog whilst figuring out the story. The true skill based amazing multiplayer, the custom games created in Halo 3, the looking back over old games and creating montages using theater, messing around in forge, build anything, the community is so much better than call of duty.
I mean cod is good, its campaign is greater but only merits one time play-through. the community is god awful and the lack of balanced in multiplayer makes for very limited fun and a lot of frustration. That is my opinion. My opinion is based on my experience (main point), other people experiences, reviews, scores and awards (all of which are small in comparison to my own experience.)

Why Halo is more fun to many other styles of gaming:
Cod is fun, a pick up and play arcade corridor shooter fun but Halo has much more to offer and appeals to a wide variety of gamers from people who love to get engaged with an expansive well written universe to hardcore MLG players (MLG, Team Doubles, Team S.W.A.T playlists) to casual gamers (social big team, action sack playlists) to creative gamers who like to mess around and create literally anything in FORGE to people who love making montages, machinima's (Theater mode).

Thank you :)

I don't know.. how about multiplayer next?
visheshk

Con

Thank you for that.
Call of Duty is much better because of its somewhat realistic qualities and mostly realistic weapons.
The thing that made Halo mostly great is Master chief, but now that Bungie has removed master chief of the story, Halo has to struggle to maintain the quality of play.

While Halo may have a slightly better campaign, COD smashes Halo when it comes to multi-player. COD is well-know for it's amazing multi-player, that seems to sky-rocket the industry of COD. COD multi-player has many more maps and types of gameplay that exceed Halo by far.
JamesTeranov

Pro

Excuse the tardiness.. i'm still new to debate.org site.

#1. Ok for this round we have agreed on multiplayer..I will show you why later that what you said about more game-types is wrong but for now this is my take on Multiplayer:

Below is why Halo requires more skill and in turn is makes it a better more balanced multiplayer game. Before I continue let me say you have many other game types that suit the casual gamer from Social Big Team to Action Sack to creating literally anything with FORGE.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now back onto why Halo takes more skill:

- Part 1-

Both games take a certain amount of skill but Halo takes much more in comparison to Cod. When you are getting shot at in Cod 9/10 the is nothing you can do, you generally cannot run away and unless the person shooting has downsyndrome you can't kill them. Halo you actually get benefited for having a good aim and intelligence or awareness. Halo was on the MLG circuit long before Cod you know.
_________________________________________________

-Part 2-

Who are the most skillful gamers in the world... MLG players. What game is played the most in MLG for 8 years running...Halo.

Say if a person shoots at you first you have time, if skilled enough, you can overcome the odds and kill him. Not who sees who first. Hence the armor.

It is all about precise aiming (4 shots to the head with br), Strafing (dodging), strategy and map control.

-Part 3-

Cod - People say more guns. Bad reason because it makes the game unbalanced.

Halo starts you off with the same weapons...ergo everyone is on equal footing. It is how you use those weapons is how you succeed. It is about about skill, strategy &(sometimes teamwork).

Plus in Halo nearly all your kills are from your weapon (True FPS style) not having the computer do it for you (attack dogs, pave low)

The most known MLG Pro's are Halo players and have great montages.

-Part 4-

Even something has simple has Grenades take skill. Watch Walshy's Grenade Tutorial. Start at around 4:20. For example trow a nade on the ground then trow the second it will propel further in your intended direction and kill your target.

You can see the these video's in the references below.

I almost forgot to mention call outs and team work. You see a lot more co-operation where it counts. You hear a lot more strategic thinking and callouts than screaming insults as in cod.

More Info on TRUE SKILL Ranking:

Halo has this True Skill Ranking in most of it's games. This pairs you with people of the same skill range as you.

In cod it's random. You could be fighting with or against noobs in one game and really good players in another.

You see the only way you can get better for yourself is to play with people of similar skill level or higher...just like in any other sport.

I mean the whole gameplay of halo requires skill to be a above average player.

References:

Please look up that grenade tutorial here:
https://www.youtube.com...

And Kampy's Montage (Great Editing):
Kampy :: Apex - A Halo 3 Montage
https://www.youtube.com...

That is why Halo takes more Skill than cod and makes for a more balanced multiplayer game.

#2. My rebuttal to your argument:

a) "Call of Duty is much better because of its somewhat realistic qualities and mostly realistic weapons."

I shall stay true to my word and elaborate on why realism should not be considered a top reason for a game being better. Before I go on, listen a bit of realism in games is great, nice change if you will but over all games with unrealistic qualities are usually better. I mean people prefer tv shows like Game of Thrones than shows with a realistic quality to 'em like CSI. CSI is a good change but as a whole unrealistic qualities and great imagination always prevails.

This is my take on realism in games. Many cod lovers I have debated against us REALISM as their main topic to their argument. I always come back and say:

Of course its more realistic. Doesn't make it better. Halo is not trying nor meant to be realistic.
Whats with the 'realistic' thingy with cod fans...its like you's have an obsession with realism.
Mass Effect isn't Realistic
KOTOR isn't Realistic
Oblivion isn't realistic
Fallout 3 isn't realistic
Half Life isn't realistic
They are all considered best games of this generation.
Realism doesn't define if a game is better.

Of course halo is unrealistic over a game that is TRYING to be realistic. It DOES NOT make it better.
Realism doesn't make a game better..
WHO EVER SAID A GAME HAS TO BE REALISTIC TO BE BETTER??????????????
Who the hell gives a s**t if a game is unrealistic???
What counts is the great campaign, character development, great sound design, creativity and competitive and fair yet fun multiplayer.
All of which Halo has in spades

b) "The thing that made Halo mostly great is Master chief, but now that Bungie has removed master chief of the story, Halo has to struggle to maintain the quality of play."

First of all The Master Chief was an icon yes and is the main part of the storyline but what made Halo great was not only this but it's "30 seconds of fun" sandbox gameplay in campaign (i.e Every 30 seconds something fun and new happens) and in multi-player and skill based balanced multiplayer gameplay... but it's amazing engaging UNIVERSE in which novels have been written to enrich it and therefore other games can be created related to the universe not necessarily The Chief himself. I mean I loved a few Novels about the Universe, other spartans and Sgt. Johnson.. all of which barely mentioned the chief.

What I am saying is what made halo great was the lore of the universe that connects every game together.

You are both correct and incorrect. Yes Halo did slightly lose it's flare after the original trilogy not going to lie. Despite this fact every Halo game after is still well above average. Still a solid game. You are incorrect about Master Chief, Master chief is still in it. Halo 4 is the artist of a new Chief Trilogy. The other games before were prequels.
You are saying that like call of duty hasn't struggled. I do believe after Black Ops 1 cod games have declined in quality.

c) "COD is well-know for it's amazing multi-player, that seems to sky-rocket the industry of COD"

Yes, yes it is mainly because it's an easy to pick up noob-friendly arcade shooter (which isn't bad at all but that IS all it is).
The multiplayer is an all round shoot fest with no regard for strategic thinking, skill, team work etc. and is littered with many game breaking features like the over use of certain OP weapons (Noobtube, Model 1778 etc.) and littered with many little kids that just makes the experience worse (I know this isn't IN the game put it is apart of it).
Halo has more to offer but to be above average at Halo you need a bit of skill that many cod players either intentionally or unintentionally can't wrap their minds around.

d) "COD multi-player has many more maps and types of gameplay that exceed Halo by far."

I disagree.. There are many playlists specialised playlists from Team Slayer, Team Snipes, Team Doubles, Team Objective Oddball, Capture the Flag, Regicide to GRIFFBALL for crying out load.

Plus you have ACTION SACK (and Custom Games): Which is a playlist solely dedicated to community created games and maps alone. Literally the maps and game-types created depends on ones imagination.
From Fat Kid to Jenga to PaintbalL to Rocket Race. Here check this playlist out just for Halo Reach alone:
http://halo.wikia.com...

Not only does halo have more game-types and maps but Halo's playlist differ majorly from each other. In cod: Team Deatmatch and domination I believe are exactly the same as people don't go for the objective.. it'a all about the kills for them.

PLUS a little BONUS.. The game-types expand as far as this highly rated and hilarious youtube series: Achievement Horse.
https://www.youtube.com...

In conclusion Halo has much more to offer and appeals to a wide variety of gamers from people who love to get engaged with an expansive well written universe to hardcore MLG players (MLG, Team Doubles, Team S.W.A.T playlists) to casual gamers (social big team, action sack playlists) to creative gamers who like to mess around and create literally anything in FORGE to people who love making montages, machinima's (Theater mode).
visheshk

Con

visheshk forfeited this round.
Posted by Donderpants 1 year ago
Donderpants
visheshk- your first point is a complete lie. A COD game comes out every single year. It's predictable, so why would anyone get excited over it? Halo, meanwhile receives massive hype each time a game is expected to come out, because the gaming community until then had no way of knowing when the next game would come out.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
JamesTeranovvisheshkTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited the final round, which is rarely acceptable in any debate, thus Pro wins Conduct. S&G - Tie. Both had proper spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Pro. Con was just overpowered here, Pro came in with so much information, Con simply didn't refute even a fraction of it. In all, Pro was left with a majority of his arguments standing unchallenged, while also rebutting Con's. For this reason, Pro wins arguments. Sources - Pro. Con failed to utilize sources in this debate whereas Pro utilized several in every round. This is a clear win for Pro.