psman7543
BilalAr

Which is better first person shooters or RPGs

Started: 6/24/2015 Category: Games

psman7543

Con

I was stuck on this question so would you please help me with what one is better, thanks
BilalAr

Pro

The first person shooter genre is one of the most, if not the most, successful genre in gaming: nobody can deny the thrill of blasting your friends, or random strangers in the face, defusing a bomb or lobbing a grenade through a window. There"s a certain value and longevity to shooters that no other genre seems to be able to achieve, except an MMO or some open world games. FPS is one of the most refined genres around featuring gameplay that gets better every year. But sometimes, we just wish that shooters were never invented. Sometimes we see things, both in game and out, that just make us realise how broken this genre can be. Sure, FPS has some great gameplay but when you compare it to other genres, it"s still catching up in so many areas.
So, without further ado here are 3 reasons modern FPS titles sucks, in no particular order"
Do you know how many times I"ve looked through someones games on Xbox LIVE, and seen "Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, World at War, Call of Duty 4R43; on someone"s list? Nothing else. It"s so sad to see that these people are seeing some of the worst games around, and basing games on that. Even worse is when they call themselves "gamers." No, gamers are free to choose what they want to play, but a real gamer wants to play the best games they can. It saddens me to know that some people are missing out on good stories, artful worlds and quality gameplay.
These people are missing out on every element I"ve mention previously in this article, and while it"s bad for them, it least it keeps them off the rest of the games.Oh, shooters. As the rest of the industry figures out new ways to tell stories, develop characters and invoke emotion, you toss all of those elements out the window in favour of action. Story is one element of gaming that is quickly evolving and developing into something that puts gaming on the map as an art form. Some of the best stories around come from games like Mass Effect, Max Payne and the Batman: Arkham games. And what do those three have in common? None of them are FPS games.
FPS stories usually go something like this: a Russian bad guy wants to terrorise the US by setting off a bomb. If not that exact plot, then certainly something like those details: see all of the COD games from COD4, minus WAW, Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 " all featured this plotline. Some notable games do try to break this mould: Killzone 3 revolved around recurring characters trying to fight their way off a hostile planet (after Hitler"s long lost brother set off a bomb, of course). However, the writing wasn"t there enough to support the plot and the whole thing made me wonder what was going on.
Same story for Crysis 2: there was an alien invasion, and an evil corporation " nothing ground breaking, but certainly unique for the genre. But it all fell apart as the game progressed: there was an alive dead guy, an evil virus and us working with marines who want to kill Prophet, the hero of the story. If there actually was a story. And don"t even get me started on the mess that was Modern Warfare 2. Seriously, could the US not have just told Russia "Alexi Borodin" was undercover?
Meanwhile, an emotional masterpice of a war story like Mass Effect 3 comes out. Hate as much as you will, but that game rocked " it was the first time I cried at a game, and no, it wasn"t because the ending sucked. I wasn"t the only one to lose it in this game, and I won"t be the last.
Sorry shooters, but you"ve got some catching up to do.
All FPS DLC seems to be map packs. That would be okay, if they weren"t so damn overpriced. 5 new maps for Modern Warfare 2 will set you back around 20 bucks here in Australia, that is insane. 7 Mass Effect 3 maps, with new guns and classes, sets me back NOTHING. For some reason, shooter expansions are just map packs that we have to pay crazy prices for. Even a smaller shooter like Killzone will cost way too much. Two maps is $15.95. TWO. They should just give you that for free as a thankyou for playing the game, especially considering the profit that the developers would already have made from the game"s initial sale.
The only expensive DLC I can get behind is the map packs for Battlefield 3. Not just map packs, each one brings new game modes, new maps, new vehicles and new assignments that carry over in the main game. While they are $23.95 individually (Yes, we pay 24 bucks for that crap here in Aus), the Premium subscription, oddly priced at $50, offers great value. The fact that the guns carry over into the main game is a nice touch.
Move over onto a non-shooter genre, and things change a bit. A shooter rarely has no online play, so it is mainly the offline games that follow this rule. A lot games offer a significant incentive to buy new. Arkham City had the Catwoman DLC, which not only adds hours of new content to the game but can also be played through infinitely. Mass Effect 2 gave new users a few months of free DLC. Shooters give you an online pass, something will be in the game anyway. Doesn"t seem like a fair deal, having to pay for stuff other games will give you for free.
I hope you are satisfied now that rgps are more fun than fps
psman7543

Con

psman7543 forfeited this round.
BilalAr

Pro

BilalAr forfeited this round.
psman7543

Con

psman7543 forfeited this round.
BilalAr

Pro

BilalAr forfeited this round.
psman7543

Con

psman7543 forfeited this round.
BilalAr

Pro

BilalAr forfeited this round.
psman7543

Con

psman7543 forfeited this round.
BilalAr

Pro

BilalAr forfeited this round.