Sidex
youssjohn

Which is better to look at?: The past or the future

Sidex

Con

Choose whichever side and I will argue the opposite. I'm just trying to hone my debating skills. If you win, good for you. If you think that beating me undermines everything that I've said, that is your prerogative. Try not to get trapped on this one, please.
youssjohn

Pro

The past is better to look at for multiple reasons. By looking into the future, we cannot learn anything. Looking at the past allows us to fix past mistakes in the future. To look to the future it is necessary to look at the past. We can learn so much from history and the past, and if it wasn't for the past, we would still be making the same mistakes. This is the point of the study of history. History lets us learn from past civilizations like the Roman Empire, Crusades, and the World Wars. Organizations like the U.N were created by looking into the past and seeing the atrocities of World War 2. Without looking into the past we cannot make ourselves better people. Not only does the past help us learn from our mistakes, but it also allows us to cherish and appreciate the good memories we have had. We should not be sad that they are gone, but we should be happy that they happened. Overall without the past, we cannot look into the future and plan ahead.
Sidex

Con

And what should we do about current future? Climate change is on the horizon and the grocery companies are destroying the land by which our crops grow. Oil Men seem to have this planet hostage with their greed. How does the past help what should already be changed? Would it be so wrong to write the future the way it should be? If not, why would it be wrong, if yes, then wouldn't you need to think more about how the Present can change into the Future? Do you see how the Past affects the Present changing into the Future?
youssjohn

Pro

To fix the future, the past is a necessity. Without observing the past and looking back at examples, scientists would not be able to find out what type of environmental strategies work against climate change. In all types of studies such as Science, Math, History, and even English we take concepts from the past and educate our youth with it. Without the past, scientists today would not be able to research effectively on the concepts you have mentioned such as climate change. We can observe past events such as the industrial revolution to fix today's problems, and create effective manufacturing methods. Even when we look at the people we trust such as scientists, doctors, teachers, and lawyers we judge their performance and qualifications based off of their past experiences.
Sidex

Con

AND MY ARGUMENT IS THAT THESE THINGS AREN"T BEING DONE NOW. WHY CAN'T THE pAST TAKE A BACK SEAT FOR A WHILE AND WE LOOK TO HOW WE NEED TO STEP UP TO THE OIL COMPANIES THAT ARE DESTROYING THIS WORLD? ALL WE NEED TO DO IS BUILD THOSE GIGAFACTORIES IN THE DOCUMENTARY FROM LEONARDO DICAPRIO TO PROVIDE EVERY HOME ON THE PLANET WITH POWER. WHY ARE WE FOCUSING ON SUPPORTING FOSSIL FUEL INTERESTS? HOW IS CHANGING TO ELECTRIC WHICH HELPS THE PLANET SURVIVE LONGER A BAD THING? WHY DO THE CORPORATIONS STILL CONTROL OUR LIVES EVEN THOUGH IN THE pAST, WE PROVED THAT THEY ARE RUINING THE PLANET? WHEN IS IT TIME TO FOCUS SOLEY ON THE fUTURE TO MAYBE SAVE US FROM THE GREED THAT CORPORATIONS AND OIL COMPANIES HAVE? SHOW ME ANYTHING IN THE pAST TO SOLVE THESE QUESTIONS. PERHAPS THE DEMISE WE CAN SEE IN OUR fUTURE WILL PREVENT SUCH OBVIOUS DESTRUCTION OF OUR PLANET.
youssjohn

Pro

I understand that your argument is that we need to fix the issues of corrupt oil corporations and their affect on climate change, but simply saying "we need to fix these issues" isn't enough. Yes, I agree that we need to fix these issues, but we need to use the past to fix them. You can look at the future all you want, but without knowing how to these fix issues is a problem that can be fixed by looking at the past. My argument is that the past has more to offer when it comes to experience and evidence, and that the problems people want to address in the future will need the aid of the past. The argument all comes down to how people will fix the issues you are talking about, and the answer to that problem is the past. The fear that people will be caught behind if they look at the past is simply wrong. The people who look at the past will be more prepared for the future. The future does address upcoming problems, I will give you that, but it does not address on how the issues will be fixed.
Sidex

Con

But what if I invoke enough social change to start the process of fixing that we need fixing? How does the past help us/me? Would the past help spread that i is here?
youssjohn

Pro

Yes, you could invoke enough social change to get people together towards a common cause, but then you would be faced with the task of solving the problem. The past can do this as well. Obviously, people have seen what has happened in the past during the industrial revolution and all the events leading up to today. This invokes fear among some people and creates a motivation to fight against climate change. Once you have gathered all the people and energy you need to fight against climate change you need to know how to fight against it. So where do you look? The past, since the best way to learn is from experience and past mistakes. Not only can the past bring people together, but it can also teach and inform those people who want to fight against, how to fight it.
Sidex

Con

In the past , figuratively speaking, Humanity's ego has killed My Son. Why should I forget It and look to the future when, figuratively speaking, Her ego is is refusing to accept the Future has come?

When should I, figuratively speaking, let go of the Past and worry only of the Future to come while you, figurative speaking, wait blissfully in the Present?

In my humble opinion, I believe that understanding the Past is paramount over knowing it, but knowing the Future is paramount over understanding it. If I figuratively write the future, then how can I not know it? In conclusion, I truly believe that for a person like me, knowing the Future is more important than knowing the past. If you were figuratively in my shoes with knowing who you can be, would you think about the Future or figuratively forever stay to what can be known in the Past?

There does come a time when we have to leave the Past behind, the Past of our Sins, the Past of our Despair, the Past of our Anguish and Misery, the Past of our loved ones and hated ones, the Past of the Future that we should already Be. The figurative "Present of you" is all I need to know the Future, Thank you for helping me inflate my Ego. Wisdom is the only way the Ego can flourish without it consuming Oneself. Your arguments were wise and your wisdom teaches mine. I learn the most efficient way by seeing wisdom like yours. Thank you very much.
youssjohn

Pro

Well said, I believe that the past is something not to just know, but to understand. We cannot understand the future, hence we must look to our past. It has been a pleasure debating you and I enjoyed the opportunity for us to bounce ideas back and forth.
Posted by Sidex 1 year ago
Sidex
canis are you starting to believe? you were a big voice of opposition of me.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
windows 95 or win 2318..
Posted by Sidex 1 year ago
Sidex
My pride is on the line and I need to fight with all of my heart.