Sidex
Capitalistslave

Which lie is worse?: The lie to self or the white lie

Capitalistslave has forfeited round #2.

Sidex

Con

Choose to argue any side and I will argue the opposite. I'm just trying to hone my debating skills. If you win, good for you. If you think that me losing undermines everything that I've said, that's your prerogative. Your definition of both types of lies is sufficient.
Capitalistslave

Pro

I would argue that a lie to one self is worse. Since my opponent didn't use round 1 for debate, neither will I.

Here are my definitions of the terms:

White lie: a harmless or trivial lie, especially one told to avoid hurting someone's feelings. (provided by google)

Lie to self: To knowingly believe something that is false.

Good luck to my opponent!

Sidex

Con

"I have two cats."
"My favorite color is blue"
"I love women"
"I like video games"
"I have a Home tomorrow"

Which is the lie and why? If you cannot tell what the truth is then how can you know that you lied to yourself? Wouldn't you prove to yourself that you don't know what the truth is? I disagree with "Knowingly" lie to yourself. It doesn't make any sense for it to be "Knowingly" for once you know it then you are truthful that you lie which turns into truth. If your ignorant of the lie that you can be better than me, then why is it worse than you consciously lying to simply make someone feel better? And if you lie to someone how you feel which only brings resentment, then aren't you worse for taking that built up resentment out on someone that doesn't deserve your wrath? How can you live with yourself knowing that you harmed another with undue discipline? So you don't care about your lie to yourself, but you care about the one you love? Then from your own perspective, how is the lie to oneself worse than the white lie?
Posted by Sidex 11 months ago
Sidex
You cannot surpass the illogical nature of "Knowingly" lie to yourself. I am only going to accept definitions that still conform to logic. If I argue an illogical assumption, then why would your pride not rule over the logic? You are a selfish person for trying to be better than logic.
Posted by Capitalistslave 11 months ago
Capitalistslave
Why do you reject the definition I provided of lying to oneself? How is it even a lie by what you're calling it? I mean, to lie it involves knowing information, and then giving false information. To know something and give false information is part of the definition of a lie. Thus to lie to oneself, you have to know the correct information and then believe something else.

Plus you said in the first round that my definition of the words would be sufficient.
Posted by Sidex 11 months ago
Sidex
This is wisdom. I'm able to look at the objectivity of all words and use them as such. One of the biggest lies people tell themselves is that they can see the objectivity of all their words. It's going to be interesting to see how this is all turn out.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 11 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Maybe "lie" should've been defined in the debate. A lie is something that someone says that they know contradicts the truth. For example, a lie would be "PowerPikachu21's profile picture is a snake", as my profile is actually Pikachu, which isn't any form of a snake.