SegBeg
WilliamGaspar54

Which musical is better: Hairspray or Grease?

Started: 4/26/2016 Category: Movies

SegBeg

Pro

The first round is for you to introduce yourself. i will be arguing that Hairspray is the better musical. i love grease but i have always had this sort of connection with Hairspray that i have never had with any other musical. It has always been my dream to be in musical theatre and when i achieve that goal, i would love to be in Hairspray.

i look forward to hearing another's views. thank you!
WilliamGaspar54

Con

I am Will and I will be arguing that Grease is a better musical.
SegBeg

Pro

Excellent. Let's get started then!

First of all, I think that Hairspray is the better musical because it sends a better message out to its viewers. It is all about acceptance of people who are different: black, fat, female, gay, etc, but mostly about your size and your race. It taught me a lesson that you should not judge people based on what they look like on the outside, but how they are on the inside. Tracy Turnblad can be a very good role model for kids to show them just how you you treat people who are different because she was different herself.

Other reasons I prefer Hairspray is because I am totally in love with the songs. I know nearly all of them off by heart and nearly all the them send a good message across such as "Welcome to the Sixties", "Without Love", "Run and Tell That "and "You Can't Stop the Beat". The others are just so darn catchy and you can never really get bored of Hairspray. The songs from Grease are catchy too such as "Summer Nights", "Grease Lightning", "You Are the One I Want", and I am also in love with "Hopelessly Devoted To You", but I don't think any of the songs give an important message like tho ones in Hairspray do. And I think some of the choreography in the movie is rather weird. But other than that. Grease is a great musical... but of course Hairspray is better!

I would like to hear your thoughts Opponent. Reply soon!
WilliamGaspar54

Con

'Rather weird"? John Travolta is a choreographical genius and the whole plot itself was amazing, it was an original idea and was an original time period
SegBeg

Pro

Yes John Travolta was a VERY exceptional dancer in Grease. BUT he did an excellent job in Hairspray as well as he played a WOMAN! When I first saw Hairspray, he was so good that I even thought he was an actual woman. When I found out Edna was a man, I was as shocked as hell. He did a GREAT job in Grease but also a GREAT job in Hairspray.
WilliamGaspar54

Con

Plus, the story line of Grease is an emotional and very real situation, coolest guy falls for nice, new, australian girl
SegBeg

Pro

Good point but I think Hairspray has a bit more of a realistic storyline than Grease. I mean, not that the Grease storyline is not good, but I mean, do you actually fall in love with someone over the summer and then proclaim that they are the one you want forever? Hairspray tackles history: racial segregation and sizeism. It is all about acceptance o f those who are not white, upper class, blonde haired and blue eyed and so on.
WilliamGaspar54

Con

Yes, however, it's a story line that today could still happen. A boy could fall in love, and proclaim it. Nowadays, there's no segregation, so the march wouldn't happen. And as for size-ism, well, unequal feminists and society dictate how that would turn out, but that's a whole different debate. It would be very unlikely to happen, whereas Grease was a real situation that could happen right now